• ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Maybe....

From a day in day out standpoint, I think a 45 is tough to beat....just fun to see what can be done with the old design.

Well, when it's done in a more modern way like 45 SMC or 45 Super, yeah.

I think 45acp is pretty lackluster for its dimensions. 45gap was a good demonstration of how much space is going to waste.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was always wary of 10mm because I hate shooting .357 .44 Mag etc. I just prefer the lighter recoil/faster follow up of 9mm.

Then I bought a G20 for a wilderness gun and shot it and LOVED it. The semi-auto platform in 10mm is fantastic.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was always wary of 10mm because I hate shooting .357 .44 Mag etc. I just prefer the lighter recoil/faster follow up of 9mm.

Then I bought a G20 for a wilderness gun and shot it and LOVED it. The semi-auto platform in 10mm is fantastic.

Wheel guns are just harsher in recoil.

Even a mild 357 from a wheel gun is far more impulse into your palms than a hot 50ae from my desert eagle.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Wheel guns are just harsher in recoil.

Even a mild 357 from a wheel gun is far more impulse into your palms than a hot 50ae from my desert eagle.
    I don't know where the Desert Eagle got a reputation for harsh recoil. I think my S&W 460V recoils more with just .45 LCs

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've been wanting to get into 10mm, but I want it as a backpacking gun. The 1911 platform is too heavy for that. I don't much care for XDs, so that one is out as well. I'd be ok with Glock, but I hear they bulge brass in high pressure 10mm loadings, and I'm a reloader, so I can't have that.
    Try a KKM Precision (or other aftermarket barrel) with a fully-supported chamber and get rid of the Glock-bulge on the casings...better barrel anyhow!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Try a KKM Precision (or other aftermarket barrel) with a fully-supported chamber and get rid of the Glock-bulge on the casings...better barrel anyhow!

True, but then I'm into the gun for another $150-$200. It may happen someday, though...at this point I'm willing to wait out the craziness a bit and see what else comes to the market. I've also got my eye on a few big bore revolvers, so I'll probably end up with whatever I stumbled across a deal on first.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've also wanted a single stack FS 10MM Glock. I even wrote to them about it several years ago. I'm sure they could get a 9+1 pistol produced and people like you and I who want power in a lighter package would be willing to buy them.
    That would really be the perfect trail gun. I'm not sure if they can shrink it down much, though, as IIRC they had to go with a bulkier slide to accommodate the pressure of the 10mm. If they can figure out a solution to that, they'd sell like hotcakes!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That would really be the perfect trail gun. I'm not sure if they can shrink it down much, though, as IIRC they had to go with a bulkier slide to accommodate the pressure of the 10mm. If they can figure out a solution to that, they'd sell like hotcakes!

The bulkier slide isn't due to pressure.
    It's just extra mass to get the timing right for the short-recoil operation.

The glock model 40 has a 9mm/40mm dimension slide that's just longer, so it achieves the same mass in a slimmer profile.

They could probably get away with milling the slide and installing tungsten weights, but that'd drive the cost up.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've also wanted a single stack FS 10MM Glock. I even wrote to them about it several years ago. I'm sure they could get a 9+1 pistol produced and people like you and I who want power in a lighter package would be willing to buy them.
    I've wanted a 'thin' single-stack Glock 21 or 41 sized pistol for years...
    They've already got all the dimensions they need with the Glock 36 frame and magazine...just stretch the grip a few rounds worth in length + install the Glock 41 slide and, waa-laa...they'd be good to go!
    The same platform would work for the 10mm round...
    Understandably, that platform would have a bit of a limited market...but it would make for a valuable field pistol!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know cash won't do it, but I do have another Marlin lever action for you. How about a 44 Mag, 16 in ported barrel? That would look killer next to your .45 Colt, plus, you could kill bigger elephants with 44 Mag than with that little 10mm!

As many will say everything is for sale. Be I the right place at Hyde right time with enough green and anything is possible.
    Yes it can be bought bought not traded.
    it’s a shooter.
    it took right at just north of $4k to build it.
    you will not see anything else out there like this one.
    pakIndy was ringing man size steel at 200 off hand.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

One of my best friends is a professor of Forestry in Oregon and head of his local SAR team. Not a gun phobe but not an enthusiast. Wednesday we talked for an hour because he’d been thinking of getting something to carry in the backcountry for bear, mountain lion, and two legged predators.

He said when his wife suggested he carry he knew it was time to call me. He didn’t want a revolver and didn’t want to carry any more weight than he had to, but would still be capable of stopping a bear. I recommended the G20. Yesterday (the next day) he called and said he’d picked one up and was very pleased with it. Since he is not (yet) a reloader I recommended him Buffalo Bore or Underwood for his carry ammo.

For purely social work in the backcountry I generally carry an LCP in .380, though am contemplating one of the micro-9s. But for bear country, one of my 10mms with my nuclear hard cast loads is my choice, along with the 14oz bear spray.

Last edited:

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    Not a cz but kinda close. I have a few of their pieces but always wanted one of these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210702-072313.png
      Screenshot_20210702-072313.png
      683.7 KB · Views: 13

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I first joined this site Wayback when, lost in the mist of time. I was the only regular who was enthusiastic about the 10mm. Now look at you all, I am so proud.
    I was introduced to the round in this forum. I had others in the real world talk about possibly trying it. At that time AllenM and I were laying plans for the Robo-Cop piece I posted the pic of. I asked we make it a 10mm. He was enthusiastic so that was my 1st of many 10mm pieces all of them custom builds.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    As many of you already know, I'm into 10mm big time.
    It started back in 70's ? When it was rumored that Colt would be bringing out a 1911 in 10mm after the Bren Ten flop. I used to shop at Indianapolis Sports Headquarters and became friendly with the manager and when I heard the rumor I went to him asked him to order me one in stainless steel and ploped down a deposit. He said Dan, no distributor has them yet, and I said, they will have so order me one.

Well a few weeks later he called me and said, "it's here", so I rushed up there to get it and I've had it ever since. It's not stock now, but it shoots fantastic.

Then one day when I was working at Beech Grove Firearms, a stainless S&W model 1006 fell into my hands so I scooped it up, fantastic handgun.

Now I have a S&W 629 and I heard they were making an N frame in 10mm but I really wanted one in an L frame but no luck, YET!!!!! Then one of the fellows here on the forum mentioned a Ruger GP-100 in 10mm, so I decided to check it out. Well the first thing I learned is that they are made of unobtainum, I tried to order one from Beech Grove Firearms but none of the distributors had any. I emailed Ruger and they said they were still making them? But nobody had any. So that seemed to be the end of it for a while. Then one of the fellows on Indianagunowners said he saw one on GunBroker, so I looked it up and sure enough they had a Ruger, GP-100 Match Champion in 10mm up for auction, it had everything you could want for it in the way of accesories. The revolver, the holster, twin speed loader pouch, a dozen moon clips, a bore snake, and an extra Houge grip beside the Ruger wood grip, it also included a red dot sight mount and the obligated gun lock. So I added up the retail price of all of the items for a total and set my bid and won it.

I found out that you can change out the front sight in 10 seconds or less so I ordered a variety of blades to try out, sort of like the Dan Wesson Pistol Pack of yesteryear. I have shot it and I didn't even have to adjust the sights, they were right on.

Now the self loaders claim a 5" barrel and if you measure the cylinder and the Barrell of the revolver, it's 5" also. The barrel/cylinder gap is near meaningless and by the way, you don't have to chase the brass.

I also have a 10mm Mech Tech carbine that shoots one hole groups at 25yds with jacketed bullets from a rest.

So that's my history with the 10mm cartridge and did I mention how easy it is to reload? I also cast my own bullets.

Attachments

• 20210509_144322.jpg
      20210509_144322.jpg
      5.2 MB · Views: 7
    • 20210502_020225.jpg
      20210502_020225.jpg
      3.2 MB · Views: 7
    • 20210502_020848.jpg
      20210502_020848.jpg
      3.8 MB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

Site Supporter