• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    AS much as I hate it, my job is moving me near Chicago this fall :(. I have had my LTCH for just over a year now and it will become void in Ill. I haven't had time to read up on Ill. guns laws but from what I have heard, they aren't good. I was told that I will have to register all of my guns, including long guns. Does anybody know any gunowners in Ill? If so how bad is it?

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    You don't have to register any of your guns in IL, but you have to have an up to date FOID card. If your card expires you are a criminal, don't let your card expire. Better yet, move to NW Indiana and commute to Chicago like I do.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I know several people that commute from NW IN to Chicago by train. It worth looking into; beside the firearm laws it much cheaper living in NW IN.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not good! Cook County is the worst too. Very sorry to hear that.

No way I could do it. It would either mean live in NW IN and commute or new job for me. Best of luck to you. :ingo:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Start looking for a new job! I have a cousin who was a professor at University Of Louisville. The recently moved to Illinois with Northern Illinois University which is good for him professionally but he hates the contrast in gun laws. He can't wait to move back to Kentucky or Indiana in a few years when he retires. He did join some hunting clubs, but handguns just don't work out well there.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'd suggest NWI+commute, but with the execption of the gun laws, it's no better. I've been gone for 13 years now, but my parents still live there. I never realized how much i hated the traffic, attitudes, crowdedness, etc. We dread our semi-annual visits with the parents.

Get a new job.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    DON'T DO IT! Ok, that said, you might want to listen to the others here and move near the state line in IN. ESPECIALLY if you will be working in Chicago/Cook County. (Naziville).
    I do believe that if you live up there, you do have to register your guns, but farther South (below I 80) is better - no registration. FOID is a must! Get it before you get here (IF you move here).

I would move to IN in a heartbeat if I could.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Being a former prisoner of Chicago, I have sympathy for you.If you have class 3 stuff you will not be able to take it to IL.If you live within Cook County, you cannot have any,what they deem assault rifles. In the city, it is worse, they have a list of no go guns and firearms have to be registered. Also Chicago requires the resident to not only have the Illinois required FOID but they have to have a Chicago Permit and to get that permit requires you to attend a firearms class. Read up on the Illinois and Chicago firearm laws.

Top Bottom