• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Looking to have a 40-gun safe moved. Across a stone driveway, up onto a porch then into a house. 100' max. No stairs, just one step lift onto the porch.

Contacted Jeff Johnson, and his estimate was high, but I know he'll do a good job. Anyone have other suggestions? I've already called Rural King for their movers, TSC, and the local safe guys.

Located near Nashville.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Rent an appliance dolly and some plywood (most places that rent dollies have the plywood). Lay the plywood across gravel. It'll b a breeze. This old man moved his up 5 steps by himself

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    You need to get a few of the local big High School Football players and a dolly and persuade them with all the pizza and coke [the soft drink] they want to move the safe.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    From experience. If you are moving a safe, have plenty of help close by.

I bought a 30 gun fire proof that was not light. The store used a fork truck and we had to lay it down and slide it under ladder racks. I had clean particle board and carpet scraps ready. I drove it home and off loaded myself. Figured gravity was my friend, I was in good shape, 3 times a week at Gold's Gym. Slowly worked it to the end of the truck. Pallet on floor waiting to receive, just a little more.... things moved too fast and I dislocated a shoulder. Later, three friends helped me roll it through the house using 5 lengths of broom stick. easy. Wish I had called them before needing to go to the emergency room.

I sold that safe to a friend several years later. Three of us slowly and carefully loaded it into a large SUV. We off loaded at his place fine. He wanted to move it through his shop. He didn't call any friends. You guessed. He ended up in the hospital too.

Better have 4 friends for a 40 gun safe.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Looking to have a 40-gun safe moved. Across a stone driveway, up onto a porch then into a house. 100' max. No stairs, just one step lift onto the porch.

Contacted Jeff Johnson, and his estimate was high, but I know he'll do a good job. Anyone have other suggestions? I've already called Rural King for their movers, TSC, and the local safe guys.

Located near Nashville.
    Aszerigan,

I don't live too far from you. I have moved 2 safes and will be more than happy to help you out. I am sure if you can get one more person making it 3 of us, it will be a breeze! Just PM me if you need help. We met many roughly 20 years ago.....LOL You probably don't remember but I was the one FIRST making the aluminum primer tube stands with custom CNC engraving.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    From experience. If you are moving a safe, have plenty of help close by.

I bought a 30 gun fire proof that was not light. The store used a fork truck and we had to lay it down and slide it under ladder racks. I had clean particle board and carpet scraps ready. I drove it home and off loaded myself. Figured gravity was my friend, I was in good shape, 3 times a week at Gold's Gym. Slowly worked it to the end of the truck. Pallet on floor waiting to receive, just a little more.... things moved too fast and I dislocated a shoulder. Later, three friends helped me roll it through the house using 5 lengths of broom stick. easy. Wish I had called them before needing to go to the emergency room.

I sold that safe to a friend several years later. Three of us slowly and carefully loaded it into a large SUV. We off loaded at his place fine. He wanted to move it through his shop. He didn't call any friends. You guessed. He ended up in the hospital too.

Better have 4 friends for a 40 gun safe.
    I’m thinking six people. Just have to find the right balance of willingness and strength.

Reactions: Leo

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If you rent an appliance dolly with outriggers and lay down a plywood road it would be a breeze with 3 guys if the door is off. With 3 strong guys with the door on. Don't rent one without outriggers they make all the difference in the world.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    You guys make it sound easy. I bought a Fat Boy Jr (48 gun @750lbs) and hired three movers plus I helped them. We took it up three porch steps into the house and then through an interior doorway. It was not a pretty operation and I don't think three people could have done it.

I need to move it again in the spring but just out of the room long enough for new flooring to be installed. I'm hoping to do it myself with rented equipment. Maybe a power mover is the ticket.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    When I had my Lincoln delivered from Blythes, one guy moved it, one guy watched. Three stairs up into the house, then down stairs to the basement. Had a motorized dolly on tracks. Neat as hell. Safe and secure. Not one scratch on anything. I reinforced the stairs prior to delivery. Some things are worth paying for. Consider if you drop the safe, it falls on a helper, pulled muscle or strained back, damaged property. Possibility of a broken safe or body on your dime vs pay a knowledgeable, experienced, insured safe mover to do it and damages are covered.
    Note that their motorized dolly was WAY more substantial than the one reference earlier in this thread. Had motorized tracks similar to what you see on some newer farm implements, could raise and lower the dolly, etc.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    When I had my Lincoln delivered from Blythes, one guy moved it, one guy watched. Three stairs up into the house, then down stairs to the basement. Had a motorized dolly on tracks. Neat as hell. Safe and secure. Not one scratch on anything. I reinforced the stairs prior to delivery. Some things are worth paying for. Consider if you drop the safe, it falls on a helper, pulled muscle or strained back, damaged property. Possibility of a broken safe or body on your dime vs pay a knowledgeable, experienced, insured safe mover to do it and damages are covered.
    Where's the fun in that?

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I'm going to state the obvious...
    make sure it's empty before you move it.
    I have an 850 lb Liberty safe that my son and I moved with a 1000lb rated dolly.
    Plywood on the driveway and any carpet is mandatory.
    Once you get it on the dolly, it will move pretty easily.
    The other issue is make sure it will fit through any doors you need to go through. I know of where I speak. I had to take the doors off the hinges to get through.
    Having a couple of guys to help will make it easier, but it can be done.
    Good luck.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Note that their motorized dolly was WAY more substantial than the one reference earlier in this thread. Had motorized tracks similar to what you see on some newer farm implements, could raise and lower the dolly, etc.
    Do you know the name of the delivery guy?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Do you know the name of the delivery guy?

My brother had a part time gig years ago, delivering for Liberty Safes. They had the same setup as described above and two guys had zero issues with HUGE safes. Might be worth a call to Liberty to see if they can share info about their team or help set it up...

Top Bottom