• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I see my Congressperson, Jackie Walorski, appears to be a leader in the move to relieve China from the tariffs.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Section 301 was designed to discourage American companies to purchase certain goods from China by increasing the amount of duties due to the US Government.
    So a commodity would be charged a certain duty as per the tariff and then a separate 301 tariff as much as 25 %

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Be interesting to see where the money is coming from on this one, sounds like it's big and stealthy.

Leadership has aggressively driven some industries completely off shore so the tariff is really just a tax as it's not contributing to the growth of those industries domestically.

Right now we can't distribute the niagra of imports from china through the country so removing the tariff seems badly timed.

Always follow the money

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If given the chance, you'll want to lick the boots that'll be on your neck soon. No one wants a dirty boot on their neck for the Instagram photos.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was amused at the list of "contributions", 4 figures, those are rookie numbers. What dc law/lobby firms are getting the 6 and 7 figure payouts?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Our trade relationship with China has clearly left us in a magnificent position. Must take some kind of super genius to figure out that catapulting ourselves further into their loving arms is an awesome idea. Who ties these people's shoes for them before they walk out the door to go to congress?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I see my Congressperson, Jackie Walorski, appears to be a leader in the move to relieve China from the tariffs.
    Right there is one possible version of that list someone wanted of what 'republicans' to primary

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I was in the business when Trump enacted the additional tariffs.
    He was putting the screws to US businesses so they would either build back in the US or outsource to another country but China. The additional tariffs were ever changing and drove up the costs effectively.
    Changing now will only encourage more business with the Chinese.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Tariffs make it more expensive for US companies to compete in a global economy. Hard to be a global leader if you intentionally handicap yourself.

Remember, China doesn't pay the tariffs; US businesses have to pay the tariffs or buy their supplies from somewhere else.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I was amused at the list of "contributions", 4 figures, those are rookie numbers. What dc law/lobby firms are getting the 6 and 7 figure payouts?
    You have to read just a little bit farther, to see where the real payout happens:

"...To ensure that this relief is meaningful, we urge USTR to broaden the scope of the exclusion process to include all products covered under Section 301 tariffs and to ensure meaningful retroactivity to make businesses whole and keep them competitive. [Emphasis added]..."

The tariff relief being sought is "retroactive." Ex-post-facto. Meaning: the U.S. Government will take tariffs already collected...and pay them back to the companies. The companies with the D.C. law firms. Who no doubt will get a cut from the money they "liberate."

No doubt, this is because the law firms cannot be paid out of costs "avoided" in the future. It takes retroactivity to produce a pile of cash on the table right now, a "settlement" which can be divvied up in the classic sense.

So the payday is coming. (But did you have a doubt?)

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Tariffs make it more expensive for US companies to compete in a global economy. Hard to be a global leader if you intentionally handicap yourself.

Remember, China doesn't pay the tariffs; US businesses have to pay the tariffs or buy their supplies from somewhere else.
    Rule of law, as well as laws against fraud, polluting the environment and legal responsibility for marketing an unsafe product make it more expensive for US companies to compete in a global economy but that doesn't mean I want to do without them

A race to the bottom just ends up at ... the bottom

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Rule of law, as well as laws against fraud, polluting the environment and legal responsibility for marketing an unsafe product make it more expensive for US companies to compete in a global economy but that doesn't mean I want to do without them

You really can find a strawman anywhere, can't you?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

I guess if you're a laissez faire capitalist, removing these tariffs would be a huge win.

Because screw our small businesses and domestic industry, it isn't giving a multinational $10k per hour CEO another hour of beach time this year.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You really can find a strawman anywhere, can't you?
    You really can find an alibi for globalists and China anywhere, can't you?

And from the same post of yours I quoted, 'Hard to be a global leader if ...' your manufacturing base is hollowed out, you have to buy strategic materials from your enemy and your economy is service based. Crack a history book and get back to me

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

That's all background noise. The real issue for US manufacturers is that the dollar is reserve currency which drives up demand for dollars, raising it's value relative to other currencies..

Things made here as a result are relatively more expensive and things made elsewhere are relatively less expensive. There wasn't a concerted effort to off-shore jobs. It is a result of the currency positioning. I

That reserve status also allows Americans to live a much higher lifestyle than their work product would indicate. We can buy things from the rest of the world at a big discount. And we can do it on credit!

But that doesn't last forever. When it ends, it is going to be rough.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...Things made here as a result are relatively more expensive and things made elsewhere are relatively less expensive. There wasn't a concerted effort to off-shore jobs. It is a result of the currency positioning.
    This particular statement would come as a surprise to the CEOs and Boards of Directors who made a concerted effort to off-shore jobs.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Tariffs are bad".
    Yes. For free trade.

Where is the free trade?
    Did we get rid of minimum wage?
    Or the million different ways we tie back the hands of businesses?

Top Bottom