• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I have a Stevens 311 coach gun, I really like the Stoeger defense double. How hard would it be to mount a short rail under my barrels? I would like to hang a light or maybe one of those forend pepper spray jobs. It wouldn't have to be to pretty I'm pretty sure its worth less now that its a coach gun, Is this best left to a professioinal, or could it be tackled by an average auto tech with a machinist father?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If there is a substantial center rib, you MIGHT be o.k. to tap it and thread it.

I am NOT a gunsmith, but, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If there is a substantial center rib, you MIGHT be o.k. to tap it and thread it.

I am NOT a gunsmith, but, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so...

That would be my concern. Is there enough metal there? I sure would not want to drill into the barrels.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Get a real home defense shotgun if you want to hang all kinds of do-dads off of it. For pete's sake don't screw up a good little coach gun by drilling into it and hanging crap off it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Get a real home defense shotgun if you want to hang all kinds of do-dads off of it. For pete's sake don't screw up a good little coach gun by drilling into it and hanging crap off it.

I am not against hanging stuff off an old gun. I have to admit I have a sort of weird fascination with "bubba-ized" double barrels. But the possum has a point. For a lot less money a person could buy a bunch of those little LED night lights and place them around the house. Not only do they help find your way to the bathroom they also give off ambient light. I go one step farther and turn on the exterior house lights at night, which serves to backlight things that might be standing in the doorway.

I don't have a home defense shotgun because of the difficulty of securing the guns from the kids and still having it easily accessible. We do have one handgun with a 90 lumen weapon light. I do not have a light on my handgun but I do keep a handheld light ready.

Edit: Actually I think Shawn should go through with this project. Then sell me the shotgun cheap. Did I mention that I kind of like beat up old shotguns. I seem to end up with a new one every year or so. I play with it, then I sell it because it just sort of sits around.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Like this?

1dc1a5fa-05dd-46b4-8389-375919a3a1ad_zpsb083eef1.jpg

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Like this?

1dc1a5fa-05dd-46b4-8389-375919a3a1ad_zpsb083eef1.jpg
    Pretty darn close to it! how hard a job is it?
    And Possum I'll do whatever I want with my $125 gunshow 311. It didn't start life as a coach gun so your love of it show's I'm tracking true. I use it to check on what the dogs are barking at in the fence row from time to time would be nice to not have to hunt down a light to go with it. (wife "hides" my darn flashlights constantly)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Do what I did and buy your wife her own flashlight. :):

Something that can quickly dismount from the gun (like BWs pic) would be handy to keep the light and gun in the same place. Only problem is where you point the light you also point the gun unless you can remove the light easily. Another option might be to put a handheld light in one of the shell holders. The coach gun would pretty much be the perfect gun to have with you when checking barking dogs. A couple blasts of 4 buck will make most anything think twice and less chance of hitting neighbors.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Pretty darn close to it! how hard a job is it?
    And Possum I'll do whatever I want with my $125 gunshow 311. It didn't start life as a coach gun so your love of it show's I'm tracking true. I use it to check on what the dogs are barking at in the fence row from time to time would be nice to not have to hunt down a light to go with it. (wife "hides" my darn flashlights constantly)

Well pardon me!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Those little polymer rails are pretty cheap. I think ACME in Seymour keeps them in stock. I want to see this critter when you get it done. After seeing this thread I think if I buy a home defense shotgun it might be a coach gun. I like the idea of not needing to rack the slide. Plus an 18" coach gun is really short.

Top Bottom