• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SW
    Has anyone mounted a GoPro on your rifle? I was wondering about mounting it on my scope using the bike handle bar mount. Would tightening the mount around the body of the scope have any effect on it's accuracy, etc.?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Go Pro makes a "sport" mount that attaches to the barrel or maybe a shotgun mag tube, but a scope mount? I personally would not attach anything to my optic that has to be tightened, but I'm not an engineer? If a barrel band that is overtightened can affect accuracy...?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I run a helmet cam, or head mount GoPro for most of my shooting. We also have a second cam running to the side or behind us. It really helps diagnose problems we didn't know we had because we couldn't see them.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have a GoPro side mount that goes on a picatinny rail. Here I mounted it to my VEPR 54R.

[video=youtube;flNPRfDbbHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flNPRfDbbHo[/video]

Buckster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SW
    Thanks for all the responses. I plan to use it for hunting so while a head mount would work, wouldn't the camera be "tilted" when I tilt my head to look through the scope? I figured that if I mounted it on the scope, it would be more "level". Others have done so - Hunting Mounts - GoPro Shotgun Mount - Caddie Buddy - but I am concerned about whether tightening the mount around the body of the scope would harm or effect the optic in any way.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As long as you don't apply more pressure to the scope tube than a set of rings would you should be fine. I would also be leery of mounts that don't apply pressure evenly around the circumference of the scope tube like a set of rings would.

Having used a GoPro for hunting purposes I've found that they're pretty decent for filming the hunter up close but pretty worthless otherwise. Unless what you will be hunting is going to be within 20 yards you won't be able to make out much before the shot and I've seen very few hunters who use them who are able to keep the camera pointed where they want it after the shot.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    Forgot to put my narrative. I know they have a few different systems out there. Some are custom built. GoPro has a “sportsman mount” that they designed for hooking onto the barrel. It is a clamp.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Forgot to put my narrative. I know they have a few different systems out there. Some are custom built. GoPro has a “sportsman mount” that they designed for hooking onto the barrel. It is a clamp.

That would likely be fine for short range, but its going to affect barrel harmonics.
    At some point it's gong to affect point of impact.
    How far? No clue.

Top Bottom