• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Which company is still building motorcycles in America again? and which company closed it US factory and tucked its tail back to Japan?
    Pretty sure that lots of components for HD come right off a boat from China.

I don't much care what anyone rides. Not particular on if a Japanese brand is actually made in Japan or made in the US, seriously WTF difference does it make? I get that some people are HD snobs, never understood it. I've ridden them, took my riding test on one when I got back to riding, but the brand is just not for me.

Although the new Pan America is appealing. If they made it in an smaller, lighter variant, something in the 750-850cc range, under 475#, but still tall with good ground clearance for gravel and woodland tracks, while still comfortable on the highways, that would be a lot more interesting than a 1250cc.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Pretty sure that lots of components for HD come right off a boat from China.

I don't much care what anyone rides. Not particular on if a Japanese brand is actually made in Japan or made in the US, seriously WTF difference does it make? I get that some people are HD snobs, never understood it. I've ridden them, took my riding test on one when I got back to riding, but the brand is just not for me.

Although the new Pan America is appealing. If they made it in an smaller, lighter variant, something in the 750-850cc range, under 475#, but still tall with good ground clearance for gravel and woodland tracks, while still comfortable on the highways, that would be a lot more interesting than a 1250cc.
    I believe some electronics, and im sure other parts built to HD specs.
    Harley Davidson has always built certain bikes for select crowds, its what they do. Why, I do not know.
    I stopped long ago trying to understand Harleys marketing to the masses.
    Harley has sourced parts from around the world for awhile now.
    I aint no snob, not a Harley gear person either.
    I wear a Harley slide jacket because it was a gift. Ive alway been drawn to Harleys lines, even as a kid riding with my guncle on his jockey panhead.
    More fun than a Honda Dream, but not as reliable as a Z50 Honda.
    I know I still havent worn out the 40 year old ones I have, not a lot of 40 year old Japans and China's on the roads today.
    If I ever wavered away it would be to a large BMW, Ducati or a Moto Gozzi, they build fine motorcycles.

Full disclosure I do have a cousin that bought a Suzuki Wankel when we were in HS, he still has it. Its so ugly and cool he can park with the Harley bikes at the bar.

I agree, just ride.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I hope the biker is ok after this......

459wkb.jpg

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    When I walked into Krogers last night, people were looking at me like I was a weirdo since I rode my KTM. It was only 39° and I needed Jet Puffed marshmallow creme for today's sweet potatoes not from canned. Yuck! Yes, it was a little cold with no helmet. I'll be sporting one at that temp next time!

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm going to write this, it's going to be long, and it may **** off some of you.
    This is the list of bikes I have bought and rode over the last 45 years. I've ridden over 350,000 miles over most of the United States. I've done 4 Iron Butt Rides.

I started with a Honda SL125
    Suzuki RM 125
    Another RM 125
    Maico 250
    Yamaha YZ 250
    Suzuki T500
    Harley Dyna Low Rider
    Harley Tour Classic
    Honda ST 1300 sport touring
    Honda Goldwing
    Harley Ultra Classic
    KTM 990 Adventure Touring
    BMW 1250 GSA Adventure Touring
    Honda Goldwing DCT
    Harley Wide Glide

Since the Harley Ultra Classic I've always had 2 bikes.
    to be honest everyone should own at least 3 bikes because every one has it's purpose and none are alike. EVERY one has it's good points and it's limitations.
    Every bike above has been a great bike, and maybe I have been lucky, but I've never had a bike that has broken down or been and type of maintenance issue.
    None of the Harleys ever leaked oil.

So if you are keeping track that is 1 enduro bike,
    4 motocross racing bikes,
    1 traditional naked street bike
    2 cruisers,
    1 sport touring bike,
    2 adventure touring bikes,
    and 4 touring bikes

Again, not one has been a bad bike no matter what brand.

While actively racing I wore all the protective gear. I have not always worn protective gear while on the street and that was always my personal choice. Everyone should have that choice.

I have been active with ABATE of Indiana since 1995 and have held about every county and region office in the organization including sitting on the Board of Directors.
    No, there is no President of ABATE as mentioned a while back.

No, I'm not going to tell you that owning a Harley is all that. I don't always agree with some people on this thread because I know my union Carpenter Apprenticeship was 4 years in spite of what others may think.

The point of this whole post is that everyone needs to ride their own ride. Be happy with your choice of rides.
    Do not let others push you to wear or ride differently than what you feel comfortable wearing or riding. BE proud of who you are and what you ride and always remember to help other riders and let them be comfortable with who they are and what they are. As bikers we can't afford to be divicive any more than we can as gun enthusiasts.

You can start the flaming now if you care to.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Suzuki RM 125
    Another RM 125
    Maico 250
    Yamaha YZ 250
    Suzuki T500
    Harley Dyna Low Rider
    Harley Tour Classic
    Honda Goldwing
    Harley Ultra Classic
    Honda Goldwing DCT
    Harley Wide Glide
    I’ll bet that YZ was a hoot to ride!
    My list is modest compared to yours.

1974 Honda 350 Four
    1982 Honda Sabre V45
    And my current 1984 FJ1100.

The 350 four and the Yamaha completely reliable, the Sabre not so much.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The point of this whole post is that everyone needs to ride their own ride. Be happy with your choice of rides.
    Do not let others push you to wear or ride differently than what you feel comfortable wearing or riding. BE proud of who you are and what you ride and always remember to help other riders and let them be comfortable with who they are and what they are. As bikers we can't afford to be divicive any more than we can as gun enthusiasts.
    Well said.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I'm going to write this, it's going to be long, and it may **** off some of you.
    This is the list of bikes I have bought and rode over the last 45 years. I've ridden over 350,000 miles over most of the United States. I've done 4 Iron Butt Rides.

Suzuki RM 125
    Another RM 125
    Maico 250
    Yamaha YZ 250
    Suzuki T500
    Harley Dyna Low Rider
    Harley Tour Classic
    Honda Goldwing
    Harley Ultra Classic
    Honda Goldwing DCT
    Harley Wide Glide

to be honest everyone should own at least 3 bikes because every one has it's purpose and none are alike. EVERY one has it's good points and it's limitations.
    Every bike above has been a great bike, and maybe I have been lucky, but I've never had a bike that has broken down or been and type of maintenance issue.

2 cruisers,
    1 sport touring bike,
    and 4 touring bikes

While actively racing I wore all the protective gear. I have not always worn protective gear while on the street and that was always my personal choice. Everyone should have that choice.

I have been active with ABATE of Indiana since 1995 and have held about every county and region office in the organization including sitting on the Board of Directors.

No, I'm not going to tell you that owning a Harley is all that. I don't always agree with some people on this thread because I know my union Carpenter Apprenticeship was 4 years in spite of what others may think.

I like to give HD rides crap just because, but it’s always in good fun. End of the day, I’d probably be delighted to add some American muscle to my garage in one form or another. :)

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I loved my YZ250. Most neutral handling MX bike I ever rode. Here's a pic of a old pic at Henderson Ky. race 1981 I believe. Got pretty crowded in the first turn. I'm #30 and my cousin is on the KX #910.

20221123_220009.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I loved my YZ250. Most neutral handling MX bike I ever rode. Here's a pic of a old pic at Henderson Ky. race 1981 I believe. Got pretty crowded in the first turn. I'm #30 and my cousin is on the KX #910.

View attachment 238503
    I was at the MC races at IRP in the 70's and watched a YZ250 blow right by a Kaw 900. (maybe it was a TZ? so long ago) It was impressive to watch the little bike go so quick.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You surprised me by going to a Wing. Let me just say that the 2021 Goldwing DCT I have right now is probably the best bike I have ever had. I teally did like that BMW GSA though. I sold it and two days later I was kicking myself in the a*s.
    My 2021 Africa Twin ES DCT is super comfortable on the highway, has been stone reliable through the first 4,000 or so miles, and does everything I need it to do. That having been said, I am looking toward a Goldwing DCT as well. Maybe someday… The DCT transmission is fantastic.

Attachments

• 2D499CD8-E53B-4492-A8F2-8B477F49C062.jpeg
      2D499CD8-E53B-4492-A8F2-8B477F49C062.jpeg
      549.2 KB · Views: 7

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You surprised me by going to a Wing. Let me just say that the 2021 Goldwing DCT I have right now is probably the best bike I have ever had. I teally did like that BMW GSA though. I sold it and two days later I was kicking myself in the a*s.
    The springer was my first bike in 20 years. It was fun around town, but it wasn’t particularly comfortable or agile, and it certainly wasn’t fast.

The 1500 came a lot closer to meeting my needs, and now the 1800 is near perfect.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Suzuki RM 125
    Another RM 125
    Maico 250
    Yamaha YZ 250
    Suzuki T500
    Harley Dyna Low Rider
    Harley Tour Classic
    Honda Goldwing
    Harley Ultra Classic
    Honda Goldwing DCT
    Harley Wide Glide

2 cruisers,
    1 sport touring bike,
    and 4 touring bikes

I would cut them more slack if the HD people acted more like we are all in it together against the cage people rather than that they are in some unique class of their own (they are, but it is most like those fat acceptance people)

If I won one in some contest, I would immediately sell it and buy two or three bikes that I really wanted

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I would cut them more slack if the HD people acted more like we are all in it together against the cage people rather than that they are in some unique class of their own (they are, but it is most like those fat acceptance people)

If I won one in some contest, I would immediately sell it and buy two or three bikes that I really wanted
    With all the love you have with American motorcycles, why would you even enter a contest for one?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I need to take my bike in to change the tires one of these days. I would buy a center stand and take the wheels off myself but my wonky left hand makes simple things more of a hassle than they need to be. Should have had them just take the whole finger

Top Bottom