• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Does that win you any friends? Just asking? :scratch:

Seems like to me, we all need as many friends as possible on the road?
    TV rides a HONDA

You know what they say about HONDA riders!

Honda-poster.jpg

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Those lights are great!

The other part of the issue though is, even when driving your car, do you consider going farther on your route to avoid a bad place to turn?

Especially with poor road conditions, if oncoming traffic forces you to stop traffic behind you so you can turn left, do you consider an alternative?

I often avoid turning left across oncoming traffic by altering my route when driving a car, mainly for net time savings or avoiding the aggravation. I’m sure I’d be even more cautious on two wheels.

jax1463

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2021
    The other day I saw a dude riding a sport bike on I-69 wearing vans, sweatpants, a worn out hoodie, and no helmet. I think tipping over at a stoplight would have gotten him an ambulance ride.
    I just shake my head when I see guys out riding with no protective gear. During the summer seeing guys out riding in shorts and a tank top with tennis shoes! Just asking for it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    And on Monday night you need to give us your impressions of the Honda DCT transmission.

Those Africa Twins are just so damn sexy!

FWIW, I just picked up a KLIM "Induction Pro" jacket. Of the the 6 jackets I've purchased in the past 4 years, including 3 full mesh jackets, this one is, by far, the nicest jacket for hot weather. Flows far more air than the other mesh jackets, and unlike the other mesh jackets it feels like an actual protective jacket despite it's light weight. Euro's CE certified as "AA" for street safety, making it arguably the most protective mesh jacket in the world.

I rode the new bike from Bedford to NW Indy tonight. Honestly, the DCT shifts faster, more smoothly and overall better than I would, especially after a long time out of the saddle.

The bike is very docile and un-intimidating in D (Drive) mode, chugging up through the gears all the way to 6th by 40 mph and delaying downshifts to the point of lugging the engine way more than I would going both up and down the gears.

Punch the button again to engage S (Sport) mode though and the bike’s character changes instantly, selecting shift points (up and down) much more like I would manually. And although I haven’t tried them yet there are two more even sportier S modes on tap.

I was wearing an old (Snell 1990!) Simpson helmet which did not fit well at all and it was so painful after an hour I had to take it off for the last part of the ride (I know… fate tempted…). But this did allow me to connect a little more closely with the bike mechanically.

I would characterize the ride as very pleasant, especially when foregoing D mode and going to the S1 sport mode. D mode’s early upshift and later downshifts result in some low-RPM vibration not present in S1 mode. I never turned it tight enough to know if there’s anything harsh on the top end because I want to take it easy during the 300-mile break-in period.

I sampled manual mode and other than using handlebar mounted trigger shifters it’s just like any other motorcycle without the need for use of a hand operated clutch or foot operated shift lever. And I would say using the trigger shifters allows you to keep a better grip on the bar than reaching for a clutch lever and removes the stress of stalling the engine on inclines or in stop and go traffic.

I can see why some hard-core off-road riders or dyed in the wool street riders would reject the DCT on principle - at least until they tried it. For me, there simply is no appreciable downside, especially having been off a bike for so long which means easier adaptation to the DCT. I only stomped for a nonexistent shift lever the first couple times the bike delayed downshifts in D mode, but this soon passed and I never once reached for a clutch lever. The bike is simply in gear all the time unless selecting Neutral from the handlebar switch.

By the way, a minor downside: This is only way to jazz the motor at stoplights without lurching forward. Yeah, I did that. Once. Could be potentially embarrassing resulting in a rear-ender and fall at a red light so keep that in mind.

Even though it’s an “automatic” transmission it’s plenty satisfying, making all the right noises at the right times and always in a sharp and positive manner. Never having to worry about missing a shift or killing the engine simply makes riding more fun and relaxing and allows the rider to use the newly-liberated extra mental bandwidth in other ways (like for situational awareness).

I have not yet begun to delve into all the other techno-wizardry on board this machine. Having only explored shifting modes so far, I’m really looking forward to exploring some of the global driving modes. (I’m keeping her in Tour mode {the most sedate settings} during the break-in period). The whole personality of the machine changes in terms of power delivery, engine braking, traction control, shift points, suspension settings, you name it when changing from Tour to Off-Road to Rain, etc. modes.

I’m looking forward to setting up Apple CarPlay as well. And I’m sure I’ll have much more to say but I only have about 100 miles on the bike so far. I can right now say the DCT truly is a game-changer and I would feel like I was missing something in a bike without it. All the other goodness is icing on the cake. What a great way to get back into riding.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ...the DCT shifts faster, more smoothly and overall better than I would...

I can see why some hard-core off-road riders or dyed in the wool street riders would reject the DCT on principle - at least until they tried it ...
    Last time I looked at the data, almost 50% of the Africa Twins sold were equipped with the DCT. A super majority of the Wings sold come equipped with the DCT. And over half of the NC700x and NC750x bikes are so outfitted.

I believe the new Rebel 1100 has it as an option but I doubt there is consumer data available for the transmission sales yet. DCT is only offered on Honda's larger bikes. No other manufacturer off anything similar, but BMW and a couple others offer clutch-less quick shifter options.

Honda offered DCT on a few other models, it's been on the market since 2012 and it is currently in its 3rd generation. I know bikers who say its not a 'real' bike unless it has a clutch lever. Meh. Most of those guys put their bikes on a trailer and tow them to destinations where they ride.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I was wearing an old (Snell 1990!) Simpson helmet which did not fit well at all and it was so painful after an hour I had to take it off for the last part of the ride (I know… fate tempted…). But this did allow me to connect a little more closely with the bike mechanically.
    Maybe its time for an upgrade?

I ride an Arai, buy it once, cry once, but it offers ALL DAY comfort. (Snell)

My wife has 2 models from HJC. Nice helmets but she tends to require a few helmet stops to relieve pressure. (one is Snell)

I've been eyeing a Schuberth E1 as a possible future replacement for the Aria, simply because I'd like a flip up modular. HJC's carbon fiber RHPA 90s is also looking like a nice flip up modular.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Went to Cycle Center yesterday to look at helmets and they didn't have anything in stock bigger than a Large for Shoei and Arai. Bit the bullet and ordered a Shoei RF-1400 in 2x. Hope it fits, doing exchanges is a pain in the butt.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just shake my head when I see guys out riding with no protective gear. During the summer seeing guys out riding in shorts and a tank top with tennis shoes! Just asking for it.
    " meat crayon"

There was (is?) A subreddit with that name; not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    IL people are hilarious. Riding through even the richy parts of Valpo on my loud bike I MAYBE get a sideways glance from a pedestrian. Went to Cycle Gear in Tinley Park, IL yesterday and the highway was a disaster on the return trip so I took a detour through Flossmoor, Olympia Fields, Richton Park etc and you'd think I was on a fire breathing dragon. Stopping in their tracks to clutch their chests, embrace their children and dogs, and look absolutely befuddled. Gold, Jerry, Gold!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Really liking my KLIM Induction Pro jacket for this hot weather riding.

Amazing how much more ventilated it is compared to other mesh jackets, and it is also more protective with a "AA" rating, one of only a couple mesh jackets to earn that rating, and the others have far less mesh.

Anyone looking for a seriously protective mesh jacket that also flows a lot more air than most less protective mesh jackets should consider the Induction Pro.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As there have been a few folks asking about the DCT transmission lately, this article was published about a week ago, goes through the history, some technical stuff, etc. It also corrects me, I previously said it was introduced by Honda in 2012, but I was wrong, it dates back to 2010.

If you are too lazy to read, and just want to watch a short 1 minute video, from the Honda marketing department, here is a video that is far less descriptive than the above article. It just gives the simple basics, with music in the background.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Congrats on the AT purchase CB. I bought my Goldwing DCT in Bedford as well.
    I just returned from a 1600 mile five day two lane only trip which included The Cherahola, Deal's Gap, The Rattler, Hwy 28, as well as every twisty, curvy two lane road between Noblesville and northern Georgia.
    Cant say enough good things about the DCT. It did take me a little while to figure out that on the tighter twisties it was much better in the Sport mode where it kept the rpm up higher which really helped in hairpin 180 turns when starting uphill.
    Having to schedule the 4000 mile check up, so I need to call M&E Honda tomorrow.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Saw a couple of dudes on new (still had temp tags) Harvey Diddlesons, no gear, loud pipes.... whatever.

The thing that bothers me is the half-assed signalling to change lanes - arm extended 45 degrees downward is a wave, not a turn signal. And your bike has freakin' turn signals!

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    A group of us just got back from a Yellowstone trip. The scenery was spectacular. This is the first time I have ventured out west and I will be going again. Ole Faithful, devils tower, Mt. Rushmore, badlands, bear tooth mountain,sturgis, at about 4000 miles in 8 days.

Attachments

• 6971FBE0-9777-44E0-BA8F-9A99268F3C70.jpeg
      6971FBE0-9777-44E0-BA8F-9A99268F3C70.jpeg
      3.2 MB · Views: 5
    • 0EF61E6B-DD16-467F-9E5B-D9FD3127FE0C.jpeg
      0EF61E6B-DD16-467F-9E5B-D9FD3127FE0C.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 1
    • AA72AEBA-F4D0-4C00-9815-D176027AE99A.jpeg
      AA72AEBA-F4D0-4C00-9815-D176027AE99A.jpeg
      3.1 MB · Views: 4
    • D7F0198B-7AE4-49BC-A3CE-4B95EA4F03BF.jpeg
      D7F0198B-7AE4-49BC-A3CE-4B95EA4F03BF.jpeg
      3.3 MB · Views: 4
    • D596B40C-E48B-4496-8335-9C297B40940A.jpeg
      D596B40C-E48B-4496-8335-9C297B40940A.jpeg
      2.4 MB · Views: 5
    • FF0EA359-EE10-4EDE-84F0-5864681EC8E5.jpeg
      FF0EA359-EE10-4EDE-84F0-5864681EC8E5.jpeg
      3.4 MB · Views: 4

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Whenever I get a second bike and some real time off, I wanna take a trip out west somewhere. I love the CB but it is not a trip bike(not that I expected it to be). I was out for a couple hours a few weeks ago. My back muscles were tired, my butt hurt, and hands were buzzing from the vibration for an hour after I got home.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom