• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've heard Claude Werner say match grade ammo has the best rate of going "bang" since, due to the match consequences of misfires, it has extra QC.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Didn't happen to me, but I seen Eley fail at long range matches IIRC. Don't remember which variety it was, but not the crazy expensive ones. Maybe Eley Target?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    CCI and Blazer seem to work the best for cheap stuff but I've rarely had many problems with anything that doesn't have Federal on the box.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    CCI and Blazer seem to work the best for cheap stuff but I've rarely had many problems with anything that doesn't have Federal on the box.
    You must have not tried the older Remington "Golden Bullets"??

You know-The ones that make no sound the first time that they are fired-Turn them 1/4 of a turn, re-install, and they go pop??

Reactions: Leo

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Since you did not mention affordability, I'll say that I have heard good things about Lapua X-ACT. Supposedly, it is the most consistent, reliable and accurate 22 long rifle manufactured. I have not used it myself. I can't bring myself to use ammo that is $31.78 plus tax for a box of 50 in a 22 long rifle. That said, I don't personally have a need for something that's ultra reliable. I don't shoot competition.
    We actually sell a decent amount of it. A guy bought an entire brick of it at the last Lafayette show ($320 after tax). IMG_20230608_110958.jpg

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    My norm is CCI but Federal, Automatch, Blazer, in fact most major brands are OK for normal rimfire stuff. Precision shooting is different matter. I will never buy Remington…soured on them a LONG time ago

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Times do change.

When I was young, any Remington .22 ammo except for the discount house wildcats and thunderbolts were flawless. The Winchester T-22 ammo was very accurate. Since T-22 Winchester was never in the stores, I would special order a case at a time. About 25 years ago the Winchester T-22 became crap, with both reliability issues and accuracy flaws. About 15 years ago I started having reliability issues with Remington. The ones that did fire still seemed able to find the middle of the target. The era of American quality on common .22 ammo was over.

I tried some CCI ammo and was pleasantly surprised, it was very reliable AND very accurate, and a bunch cheaper than true match grade .22 rimfire ammo. I believe it is at least as good as Eley "Club", maybe bumping Eley "Match"

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You must have not tried the older Remington "Golden Bullets"??

You know-The ones that make no sound the first time that they are fired-Turn them 1/4 of a turn, re-install, and they go pop??
    I'm not sure what constitutes old Golden Bullets but I have some that are 10+ years old that fire with little issue. They're dirty and not the most accurate but they go bang for me.

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    I tell you, for cheap, cheap 22 ammo, try the armscor 36 grain. It's been running great in our Savage 64. No issues in probably 400 rounds. Of course CCI is great too. I've also had great success with Remington Thunderbolts but not sure if they're making them again yet. Of course the 64 seems to eat anything you throw at it.
    wanna trade my 64 for your 64, mine only reliably cycles mini mags.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Since you did not mention affordability, I'll say that I have heard good things about Lapua X-ACT. Supposedly, it is the most consistent, reliable and accurate 22 long rifle manufactured. I have not used it myself. I can't bring myself to use ammo that is $31.78 plus tax for a box of 50 in a 22 long rifle. That said, I don't personally have a need for something that's ultra reliable. I don't shoot competition.
    We actually sell a decent amount of it. A guy bought an entire brick of it at the last Lafayette show ($320 after tax). View attachment 280452
    Brian's surplus has a great selection of nicer .22 ammo...lol

Attachments

• 20230609_205953.jpg
      20230609_205953.jpg
      272.1 KB · Views: 13

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    We actually sell a decent amount of it. A guy bought an entire brick of it at the last Lafayette show ($320 after tax). View attachment 280452
    When I was in western Nebraska for a few years of my younger life.
    I used a Marlin model 60 and a 4x Tasco cheapo scope and whatever 22lr the local shop had in stock.
    I'd go and shoot prairie dogs at around 300-400yds with it. I'd walk my shots into the Prairie Dogs. Usually around 4 shots per prairie dog.
    The wind was blowing over 15mph usually which it often did in western Nebraska.
    Many times the wind would be blowing on my end and calm by the dog town, or vise versa.
    It complicated shots.
    I'd lay on one hill shoot across a ravine at a massive prairie dog town on the side of the other hill to the west of me. The rancher who owned the land wanted the prairie dogs decimated.
    Nice thing about the 22lr it didn't disturb the prairie dogs and they would sit there or run around doing their thing while I picked them off.

I imagine this ammunition would have helped considerably in that effort, along with a better scope.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    CCI Mini-Mags are the gold standard for reliable .22 ammo.
    I always have a few boxes of mini-mags to test rimfire autoloaders. . If they don’t cycle minis it is not the ammo causing the problem.

many years ago at an estate sale they have Remington golden bullets in the 50 counts boxes in bricks of 500. I bought in cases of 5000 and I think my bid won choice of lot at under 50 a case. I know I bought about 5 cases of the stuff at 50 a case. All 25,000 were same lot. The stuff shot dirty but my marlin 39a loves that Cheap golden bullet stuff. It was old when I won the bid and all of the cases were the same lot number. I am down to one big pouch and a few boxes of 50 since then and it has almost all been shot from the 39a. When it is finally gone the quest will start to find another round for the marlin. I think those goldens were before it became the bulk loads it is today . If golden bullets had better reputation then they would have cost more. They sold the ammo pre gun auction so many were still holding the cash to bid on some nice rifles and pistols -r

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    CCI mini mags and standard are my go to because of cost and availability.
    Lapua, Eley, Norma and Aguila all make good stuff also, just don't get the cheapest stuff
    What is the intended use?
    I'll say that I have heard good things about Lapua X-ACT. Supposedly, it is the most consistent, reliable and accurate 22 long rifle manufactured. I have not used it myself. I can't bring myself to use ammo that is $31.78 plus tax for a box of 50 in a 22 long rifle.

Mostly I'll use it for new shooters on our home range. We'll typically hand a first-timer either a Colt Gold Cup or a S&W 22A. They both choke on bulk ammo. They run better on mini mags but not as well as I would like.

I'll give Lapua a try but reserve the ammo for new newbies or perhaps rabbit hunting. Honestly I didn't know there was 22 ammo in that price range.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mostly I'll use it for new shooters on our home range. We'll typically hand a first-timer either a Colt Gold Cup or a S&W 22A. They both choke on bulk ammo. They run better on mini mags but not as well as I would like.

I'll give Lapua a try but reserve the ammo for new newbies or perhaps rabbit hunting. Honestly I didn't know there was 22 ammo in that price range.
    I have a 22A that is all but brand new.
    Haven't put more than 100 rounds through it, if that.
    I remember when I bought it that there was a recommendation for the 22A that a break-in period of 200-300 rounds should be observed using high velocity ammunition, and specifically mentioned CCI mini-mags as the best choice.
    They said it should run bulk ammo o.k. after the break-in.
    Ymmv

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Cascade Cartridge Inc. is the gold standard for my needs, and has been for 40+ years.
    This goes back a long way.

I was given a box of old reloading stuff and there were a couple of packages of Shotgun primers. The tray inside the cardboard sleeve was milled out of wood, so I assume they were from the 1950's. The label said "from the good ol' boys" with an Idaho address. They were early CCI shotshell primers for reloaders. They had copper caps and a solid copper battery cup. I loaded them and they all went bang. Pretty good product.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just found a recoil pad for a Remington 700 that someone wants $179.50 + shipping! .
    Prices are crazy on everything now.
    FJB

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom