• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Hello, I’m looking into getting my first 1911 and I wondered what people’s experience is with certain brand? Looking for reliability most importantly.Need a 5 inch government from with light rail. The three I have liked so far have been the smith Wesson e series, Springfield MC operator and a sig unknown model. Also what mags have you guys found to be the most reliable? Thank you for your thoughts!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cant argue with any of the ones you list just not a fan personally of the Sig or S&W and not because they are not reliable as they are. JMHO and thats all.
    I use Wilson 48D's and Chip McCormick's in the 10rd offerings with very very few issues over time mag related.

Of those 3 pick the one you personally like as they are all pretty close in fit/finish etc. And let us know what you find.
    With a user name like G****tard I am curious where this takes you.....:):

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    As already mentioned, out of those listed, it’s just personal preference.

As far as magazines go, again subjective. Everyone has their personal favorite. I’ve used Tripp Research mags exclusively for several years now. I’ve had excellent performance out of them.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've been very happy with my Springfields, and the factory mags that I received with them. I've had no reliability problems at all, they look good, have good fit and finish, and have been quite accurate. I've heard decent thing about the Sig and the S&W, as well, but have no personal experience to back that up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

As far as magazines go, again subjective. Everyone has their personal favorite. I’ve used Tripp Research mags exclusively for several years now. I’ve had excellent performance out of them.
    I have heard more than a few folks say the Tripps are a good choice. But over time I have acquired near 100 single stack mags for my 1911's in the 2 makes mentioned. Its a bit late in the game to make any changes.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    I have heard more than a few folks say the Tripps are a good choice. But over time I have acquired near 100 single stack mags for my 1911's in the 2 makes mentioned. Its a bit late in the game to make any changes.
    Same here. I’m invested in the Tripp mags., and @ $35 a rip, there’s no turnin’ back! I’m not mad though, they run great in every 1911 that I’ve ever seated them in!

Having said that, you really can’t go wrong with Wilson, McCormick Tripp... even some of the higher quality GI style mags/followers run well!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I've ran across them on Dawson Precision site in past. All good reviews. Basically same price as WC magazines.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Definitely no knocks taken!

I learned a long time ago.....find what you like and what works for you and go!
    I have the 1911 I learned to shoot pistol (semi's) with at 12 years old. That was 1962. My uncles service piece. 1942 Colt. He carried it all the way through to the end. When I got this gun I cried. It lives in my safe deposit box.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have the 1911 I learned to shoot pistol (semi's) with at 12 years old. That was 1962. My uncles service piece. 1942 Colt. He carried it all the way through to the end. When I got this gun I cried. It lives in my safe deposit box.

Nothing can take the place of memories like that....special stuff.

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Cant argue with any of the ones you list just not a fan personally of the Sig or S&W and not because they are not reliable as they are. JMHO and thats all.
    I use Wilson 48D's and Chip McCormick's in the 10rd offerings with very very few issues over time mag related.

Of those 3 pick the one you personally like as they are all pretty close in fit/finish etc. And let us know what you find.
    With a user name like G****tard I am curious where this takes you.....:):
    Ive always shot a 1911/2011 better than my glocks but have always stayed away because of their reliability and maintenance but now it seems you can some out of the box with very little tuning you can get them running just as good as a Glock.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have my dad's service 1911 that he carried through Vietnam. Colt made in 1943 with matching numbers frame/ slide.
    One of my most prized possessions.

To the OP, take a look at the Dan Wesson's. Great guns if they are on your price range.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I can't comment on railed 1911's, because I've never owned any. I currently own 4 1911's. I'm with Churchmouse in not liking the newer Colts. I do have two accurized Colt 1911's. One is a pre-series 70 and the other is a series 70. Both are excellent pistols. I do like Springfield Armory and think that they are the best bang for the buck. There are other really good platforms out there like the DW, but you'll pay quite a bit more. Everyone sings the praises of the Wilson 48D magazines and I've never heard a discouraging word about them. I was a competitive bullseye pistol shooter for decades. I found that Metalform magazines were reliable, durable and cost effective. I only used the ones with the welded bases.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Reliability? Stick with a 5” in .45 ACP which you mentioned you are doing. I have no experience with light rails on 1911s.

Big fan of the SW1911s. I know they are not true to the original design but the new Pro Series and E Series guns have heavy, thick external extractors that work. Like all Smiths they will vary in fit and finish. I have had several over the years. 4 of which were shooters and 1 that needed a barrel. All of them ran 100% out of the box.

Magazines. I have been using the Wilson ETM and Chip Power Mags.

Top Bottom