Most inexpensive but decent O/U 12 gauge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They definitely have their advantages. My main reason is that I fumbled trying to unload and reload mine a few times while dove hunting and it cost me some birds.
    Yeah, for hunting I prefer ejectors but for shotgun sports, I prefer extractors.

I don't have either, lol. Unless you count my autoloader which I suppose is both.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Browning just blew it out of the water IMHO a MSRP of $2200 so street price of probably $1900~ , that's a lot of shotgun for the money and tough to beat. That being said I still love my AAAA Maple

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Browning just blew it out of the water IMHO a MSRP of $2200 so street price of probably $1900~ , that's a lot of shotgun for the money and tough to beat. That being said I still love my AAAA Maple
    I like the idea of a composite stock for hunting or inclement weather. However, for long days on the range the lighter weight can increase felt recoil (especially with heavier loads). IMHO, with the composite stock I think they should have gone with a black chrome finish rather than traditional bluing. I think it would be more weather resistant and might enhance the modern look of it.
    But honestly in my mind a shotgun that nice deserves some good wood. I really like the styling done on the receiver though

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Film dip it woodgrain, lead tape wherever you need to add weight
    WTF? for one thing, I'm not sure if it's the exact same process as film dipping but Beretta already uses a faux woodgrain finish on some shotguns. It's used over lower quality wood to improve the appearance. That's enough to give me pause about where my money is spent.
    As for the weight, sure you can add weight by using barrel weights or hiding lead in the stock. Nothing wrong with that.
    I'm all for synthetic stocks on field guns or edc guns or on guns that are designed for tactical advantages. It's very utilitarian, but IMHO lacks the finish of a "fine" firearm. That's why IMHO they should have used something like black chrome or parkerized the barrels rather than traditional bluing. I think as it is, it looks like they took a a fine gun and threw a cheap stock on it.
    I've never seen a K or P shotgun in a synthetic stock

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Somebody ordered a SPR in 20 ga and decided to not take it. Shop cut me a deal. Stock was too high of comb. Got it shaped to 870/1100 dim, but was still too high, needed bend at wrist. Of course during the stock mods it needed a diff pad. Helped a bunch but was still too high.

Compared to Baikal and other Rem rebrand versions....stock shape and other than varied a bunch.

While i shot doves almost 50 percent the day i hunted it, i put a fair amount of work onto that gun.......for free.

Got it at a deal, barely broke even after all that effort.

Stoeger or Baikal.....more club than shotgun IMHO. Yeah the latter has gone up in price a bunch. Dont be fooled.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Proly the ugliest OU I ever saw was a Ruger Red Label All Weather. Makes sense, if going synth might as well be stainless too.

Looked at a Hunter Citori today, new. Wood so bland as to not offer much over Rynite IMHO

But as a traditionalist....even bland wood might make sense if youre gonna ding it up hunting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Aint made of money, but 2k for an OU is a hunting gun IMHO. And understand that better looking wood costs more these days.

But I aint gonna go all TGS Outdoors over friggin figure and engraving.

Some of that fancy stuff is grotesque IMHO.

Think theres a happy medium in a non target rig thats gonna get used. Appears thats pushing $ 3k and up.

Im gonna kill stuff w whatever I end up with. Living costs money. Memories of the hunt. Dont give a flip about impressing somebody w the looks of it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Aint made of money, but 2k for an OU is a hunting gun IMHO. And understand that better looking wood costs more these days.

But I aint gonna go all TGS Outdoors over friggin figure and engraving.

Some of that fancy stuff is grotesque IMHO.

Think theres a happy medium in a non target rig thats gonna get used. Appears thats pushing $ 3k and up.

Im gonna kill stuff w whatever I end up with. Living costs money. Memories of the hunt. Dont give a flip about impressing somebody w the looks of it.
    I'm not made of money either, but 2k ish can get you a good Browning Citori target O/U. Right now the Citori CX is a bit harder to find but I saw it listed for just under 2200 on Cabela's site. You can get a CXT (trap O/U) for just over 2200 or a CXS for right around 2k-2100. Those are all designed as legit target guns, not hunting guns, oh and a better grade of wood than a field grade. Or you can get the Browning Cynergy versions of those guns for less than 2k. If you want to go a step further look at some exclusive options from Guns Unlimited. They have a Browning universal high post with adjustable parallel comb, and rib for just under 3k last time I looked (might even have adj butt plate).

I agree some of the fancier stuff is way overdone. I don't mind a tad of engraving but far too many fine guns are just too dang busy for my taste.

If I were looking for a good quality non target rig, something I was going to hunt with. If I had to have something new, I would go with a CZ Redhead Premier for around 1k. Otherwise I would be looking for a used Browning or maybe Beretta (most don't seem to fit me so well). Likewise, I don't give a rip about impressing anyone with the looks of it. But, life's too short to shoot cheap ugly shotguns lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They have gotten pricey since we did our transaction. Nice to see they are increasing in value.
    I was recently at IGC and was a bit surprised how much some guns have increased in value.

I had an adjustable comb installed on mine ao not sure if that helps or hurts it's value. Regardless, I don't have any plans of letting it go anyway. When I shoot it, it just feels right in my hands

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’ll leave it up to the OP to decide the merits, but I’m seeing the Mossberg Gold Reserve listed for 900+ to 1400+ it’s a well established name, surprised no one has mentioned it. Lots of bells and whistles on the International Model. Models for hunting and clay targets.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I’ll leave it up to the OP to decide the merits, but I’m seeing the Mossberg Gold Reserve listed for 900+ to 1400+ it’s a well established name, surprised no one has mentioned it. Lots of bells and whistles on the International Model. Models for hunting and clay targets.
    So which Turkish OU maker is Mossberg slapping their name on?

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So which Turkish OU maker is Mossberg slapping their name on?
    Don’t know, saw the add in one of the magazines I get and brought it to the OP’s attention. I’ll leave it up to him to make any decisions about it he desires. I’m just attempting to give him options, don’t want to get into or be part of any pissing matches about name brands. Like I said on first page, mine is a Remington Silver Eagle. I’d forgotten I had an O/U it’s still in the box, I’ve never shot it.

The OP only had a couple criteria I tried to match them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Interesting, know Rem slapped their name on some Baikal stuff.
    And had their own Peerless OU before that (12 ga only).
    Never heard of any Remington being called a Silver Eagle.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Friends don't let friends buy Turkish guns , if you cannot afford a proper O/U get an Italian Semi-Automatic and then save your pennies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Friends don't let friends buy Turkish guns , if you cannot afford a proper O/U get an Italian Semi-Automatic and then save your pennies.
    I know of a couple people who have had some not so great experiences with Turkish made O/U's. However, I also know of some folks who have had not trouble out of them.
    I speculate that at least for some brand the quality has increased. The really inexpensive ones are the ones I would absolutely steer clear of.
    Turkish shotguns have a not so great reputation and maybe for good reason. Just saying quality could be improved and it would be a very long time before they were looked at by some as being good quality.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I didn't have confidence that the CZ shotgun I bought for Skeet would hold up long term so I sold it to a hunter. It will serve him well for as long as he wants it to.

I do have an Italian autoloader that my brother has ribbed me about ever since I got back in the 70's. "Italian junk" he likes to call it.

Seems to work well after 45 years of use. :)

Top Bottom