• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Considering getting a bolt-action, Mossberg MVP 5.56 "Patrol" rifle?
    Bolt-action for a more stable based shooting platform...
    I like the idea that it accepts AR magazines...

If anyone has one...
    What do you like about it?
    What do you dislike about it?
    Which scope did you mount to it?
    With 1:9 twist, which grain of ammo do you find shoots more accurately though this?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

If anyone has one...
    With 1:9 twist, which grain of ammo do you find shoots more accurately though this?
    1:9 twist should shoot 55gr -62gr pretty good maybe down to 45gr bullets.

I'm interested in the responses on this rifle also. I'm wanting a Ruger Ranch 556 but it's hard to find. If the Mossberg MVP 556 are good rifles and I find one I'll probably buy it instead.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I love the concept of the rifle. I hate that they announced them at SHOT many years ago in 300BLK then never made them, including their phone rep lying to me saying that they were available. Kinda soured me on them. I’d have bought one in .223 and 300 BLK.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've always thought a bolt-action in 5.56 / .223 would be fun to have around and shoot...
    Have a fun plinking rifle that doesn't cost too much to shoot, yet achieve some 'moderate' distance with it???

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I've always thought a bolt-action in 5.56 / .223 would be fun to have around and shoot...
    Have a fun plinking rifle that doesn't cost too much to shoot, yet achieve some 'moderate' distance with it???

That's why I have the CZ 527 in .223. So far, it's 3 for 3 on called coyotes. They were getting pretty bold around my parents property. Longest shot to date has been 184 yards. Of course you can do the same thing with an AR, but I like the CZ bolt actions.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    About 6 years ago I bought an MVP, but it is the 24" barrel hunter with the laminated stock. It is an accurate rifle. It is no model 70 Winchester, but it does the job. For me the stock is a little short. I am not in love with the use of polymer parts around the magazine attachment, but 1/2 of everyone here loves polymer pistols, and nothing has broken or worn.

The little rifle loves the 52 grain Sierra MatchKing bullets pushed hard. 69 gr HPBT are fine too. I was surprised that it was able to stabilize the 77 grain Sierras. Normally a 9 twist has trouble there, maybe the 24 inch barrel helps.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had one,didnt care for it, had trouble with accuracy on different loads just my :twocents:
    I wonder if it could still have been an ammo issue.
    I have had, and still have, several Mossberg rifles and all are surprisingly accurate.
    I do not have, or have I had, an MVP, but I do have a new(er) Patriot rifle.

Every company has it's occasional lemons, but on whole, Mossberg has a good reputation for accuracy at entry level prices.

This has been my experience.
    YMMV

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

If you're looking for a budget bolt action to provide a higher degree of accuracy than a comparable semi-auto, you're barking up the wrong tree.

With the 1:9 twist and using stanag magazines, it isn't accepting the exceptionally long and heavy bullets that would potentially give it an edge over an AR15. In fact, with that twist rate, it'll even struggle with longer range oriented bullets that run fine in an AR15.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I wonder if it could still have been an ammo issue.
    I have had, and still have, several Mossberg rifles and all are surprisingly accurate.
    I do not have, or have I had, an MVP, but I do have a new(er) Patriot rifle.

Every company has it's occasional lemons, but on whole, Mossberg has a good reputation for accuracy at entry level prices.

This has been my experience.
    YMMV
    It could have been , but i seriously doubt it, Was shooting 200 yds, 50gr-up to 69gr lapua bullets, always 2 outside, had 2 of my savages ran same loads thru them and they both held a lot tighter no fliers. kept shooting it for a few months thinking it needed a longer break in, still had same issue of fliers. I shoot long distance money shoots with heavier caliber rifles, so i know i am well versed enough to recognize if it my ability or the rifle and this was definitely the rifle!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    That's why I have the CZ 527 in .223. So far, it's 3 for 3 on called coyotes. They were getting pretty bold around my parents property. Longest shot to date has been 184 yards. Of course you can do the same thing with an AR, but I like the CZ bolt actions.

Coyotes was one of the things I was thinking about with it...on dad's farm. Now that we've moved out into the county and are right across the river from him, it's a hop-skip-n-jump right around the corner to him...amongst the other varmits he would like removed from his property!

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I have an MVP Predator.
    Not exactly the same as the Patrol, but close enough.
    I love it.
    It is light, compact, shoots 5.56/.223 and really is a blast to shoot.
    Accuracy is what I expected, consistent 1 moa with an occasional spread to 1 1/2 or 2 moa at 100 yds.
    And of course that depends on the ammunition. 55gr and 62gr seem to be the most accurate. I have shot 40gr varmint loads that were very accurate but I don't shoot those very often. 69 and 72 gr are ok but seem to be just beyond the range of this 1/9 twist barrel.
    Plus with the laminate stock of the Predator, it really is a nice looking rifle.
    20210716_100721.jpg

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have an MVP Predator.
    Not exactly the same as the Patrol, but close enough.
    I love it.
    It is light, compact, shoots 5.56/.223 and really is a blast to shoot.
    Accuracy is what I expected, consistent 1 moa with an occasional spread to 1 1/2 or 2 moa at 100 yds.
    And of course that depends on the ammunition. 55gr and 62gr seem to be the most accurate. I have shot 40gr varmint loads that were very accurate but I don't shoot those very often. 69 and 72 gr are ok but seem to be just beyond the range of this 1/9 twist barrel.
    Plus with the laminate stock of the Predator, it really is a nice looking rifle.

2 MOA would be a deal killer for me, especially out of a bolt action. If you're getting those groups out of the hevaier rounds, though, I cold see that since the barrel twist rate isn't meant for those.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    2 MOA would be a deal killer for me, especially out of a bolt action. If you're getting those groups out of the hevaier rounds, though, I cold see that since the barrel twist rate isn't meant for those.
    Well, yes, but understand, that this rifle is not a "precision" shooter.
    Wasn't meant to be.
    It is a small/medium game hunting rifle, a plinker, and potential self defense rifle.
    With the weight of the rounds the twist rate was designed for, it is completely acceptable.
    Even so, 2 moa out of a hunting rifle is not unacceptable. Just know your limits.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Well, yes, but understand, that this rifle is not a "precision" shooter.
    Wasn't meant to be.
    It is a small/medium game hunting rifle, a plinker, and potential self defense rifle.
    With the weight of the rounds the twist rate was designed for, it is completely acceptable.
    Even so, 2 moa out of a hunting rifle is not unacceptable. Just know your limits.
    Knowing what a firearm is built to do, performance-wise, often goes a long way with one's understanding of both it's capabilities and limitations, leading to a higher satisfaction with the firearm.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My .223 patrol had reliability issues until I replaced the magwell with an aftermarket magwell. The Mossberg allows the mag to rock back and forth and won't feed.

I shot 69's and 75's out of it. Accuracy was acceptable for it's intended purpose. My grandson now has the rifle.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

If anyone has one...
    I considered one when they came out. read too many bad comments about bolt action stiffness, accuracy, and that flimsy thing hanging down from the bolt. Last year, I got one of these;

Ruger American® Rifle Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Model 26965

VERY accurate, and 100% reliable.

DSC_9684w.jpg

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    My dad has one. He put a aftermarket thumbhole stock on it and some glass (I don't recall brand or size). But, he's doing dime size groups at 100 yards...

Reactions: Leo

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I considered one when they came out. read too many bad comments about bolt action stiffness, accuracy, and that flimsy thing hanging down from the bolt. Last year, I got one of these;
    Ruger American® Rifle Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Model 26965
    VERY accurate, and 100% reliable.

View attachment 148713
    I considered the Ruger...but ended up with the MVP because the price came down to $300 less than NIB!
    I've heard good things about the Ruger American Rifle...still may have to get one of those in some caliber in the future?

Top Bottom