• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The cheapest thing to do for fleas and ticks is a seresto collar. It lasts for 8 months. Although they cost approx $60 dollars they currently have a $15 rebate for each one you buy.

That's what I did this year with my crew.

My next favorite thing would be Nexgard but that would run you approx $17 to $20 a month depending on the weight of the dog.

Make sure you research any home remedies you try because a lot of essential oils and other remedies can be toxic to dogs and cats.

We all like to cut corners but flea control should not be one of the places that we do.

Never use anything intended for dogs on cats. It can cause seizures and be fatal.
    In some cases, yes. Advantix II is one such that is safe for dogs but extremely dangerous for cats. The active ingredient in Advantix and some others is permethrin which is perfectly safe for dogs and humans but deadly for cats.
    In the cases of Advantage II and Frontline along with other products that use the same active ingredients, the formulas for dogs and cats are basically the same, its the dosage that changes. We've been using Advantage II extra large dog for all our varmints, dogs, cats, and ferrets, for years. We just use a syringe to measure out the smaller doses as needed. That right there is the key, its the dose and not the product that is of concern.
    And while the Seresto collars work great, there have been a LOT of reports of pets being made extremely ill and dying from them. Last I heard, there is a possible recall and ban coming on them.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    In some cases, yes. Advantix II is one such that is safe for dogs but extremely dangerous for cats. The active ingredient in Advantix and some others is permethrin which is perfectly safe for dogs and humans but deadly for cats.
    In the cases of Advantage II and Frontline along with other products that use the same active ingredients, the formulas for dogs and cats are basically the same, its the dosage that changes. We've been using Advantage II extra large dog for all our varmints, dogs, cats, and ferrets, for years. We just use a syringe to measure out the smaller doses as needed. That right there is the key, its the dose and not the product that is of concern.
    And while the Seresto collars work great, there have been a LOT of reports of pets being made extremely ill and dying from them. Last I heard, there is a possible recall and ban coming on them.
    I use advantage II extra large dog on my cats as well.

Since you mentioned syringing doses I've attached the recommended dosing by weight for both cats and dogs for anyone that wants to buy the topical Advantage II extra large dog and split it up.

Ignore the prices it's an old clinic price/cheat sheet.

As far as the Serestos collars go, a lot of the problem collars were counterfeits/fakes. I talked to the Elanco rep when she was in about the collars before I made my decision.

Flea preventatives are pesticides. They're all bad. It's like picking the lesser of several evils.

Attachments

• IMG_20210426_184122.jpg
      IMG_20210426_184122.jpg
      857.2 KB · Views: 5
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I use advantage II extra large dog on my cats as well.

Since you mentioned syringing doses I've attached the recommended dosing by weight for both cats and dogs for anyone that wants to buy the topical Advantage II extra large dog and split it up.

Ignore the prices it's an old clinic price/cheat sheet.

As far as the Serestos collars go, a lot of the problem collars were counterfeits/fakes. I talked to the Elanco rep when she was in about the collars before I made my decision.

Flea preventatives are pesticides. They're all bad. It's like picking the lesser of several evils.
    Thanks for attaching that. Hopefully some will find it helpful.
    As far as Soresto, we sell those at work and we're watching the situation closely.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Yeah, actually I do! Our vet had his tech leave a while back and last I heard he's still looking. Fair warning, his wife is a raging bitch. The tech who left had been with him over 20 years and finally got fed up with his wife's crap.
    I need to hire a veterinarian. I don't want to be a tech. Especially not for someone with a crazy wife.

I worked for the devil at my last job. I'm not doing that again. Life's too short for that crap.

Our non-profit veterinary clinic needs to hire another veterinarian. Our main vet left without notice at the beginning of last month. It's hard to run a veterinary clinic without a full-time veterinarian.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I need to hire a veterinarian. I don't want to be a tech. Especially not for someone with a crazy wife.

I worked for the devil at my last job. I'm not doing that again. Life's too short for that crap.

Our non-profit veterinary clinic needs to hire another veterinarian. Our main vet left without notice at the beginning of last month. It's hard to run a veterinary clinic without a full-time veterinarian.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were looking for a job at a vet place. And he's till looking, word is out about his wife.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were looking for a job at a vet place. And he's till looking, word is out about his wife.
    I already have one. But if I want to keep it I need to find another veterinarian. LOL

There's a lot of competition to find good help. We were looking at one of the rent a vet places today (like a manpower for vets) and they were charging $75 to $85 an hour for vet techs. We don't pay our certified techs anything close to that.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    A safe flea and all around bug killer is diatomaceous earth. It's probably a good idea to wear your mask when you spread it out because it can be quite dusty. It is ground up sea creatures from millions of years ago. It works by cutting holes in the insects shells so they dehydrate and die.

Diatomaceous earth is a useful and versatile product to use. If you buy the food grade quality you can also add it to your pet's food to help with their joints as well as other ailments.

It has a lot of naturally occurring silica in it. It's actually kind of good for us and our pets.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    A safe flea and all around bug killer is diatomaceous earth. It's probably a good idea to wear your mask when you spread it out because it can be quite dusty. It is ground up sea creatures from millions of years ago. It works by cutting holes in the insects shells so they dehydrate and die.

Diatomaceous earth is a useful and versatile product to use. If you buy the food grade quality you can also add it to your pet's food to help with their joints as well as other ailments.

It has a lot of naturally occurring silica in it. It's actually kind of good for us and our pets.
    Buy food grade if you are using it on pets/livestock or in your house. It is messy but very effective for fleas! It can also be added to feed for some livestock to treat worms.

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    Permethrin for ticks. Spray your clothing and boots (don't spray your undies). Deet for your skin.

Deet, thats about the only thing that helps keep the tickets at bay. Spray it on your skin right at the seams of your clothing, wrists, ankles, neck, waste...

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    My beagles are on NexGard internal flea and tick meds year long. I thought I would share their bounty so far this year. Very few were stuck, mostly crawling on the outside. About 4 belonged to me. DE098D0A-53D3-4F46-929F-EBB9A387FCEF.jpeg

MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    The cheapest thing to do for fleas and ticks is a seresto collar. It lasts for 8 months. Although they cost approx $60 dollars they currently have a $15 rebate for each one you buy.

That's what I did this year with my crew.

My next favorite thing would be Nexgard but that would run you approx $17 to $20 a month depending on the weight of the dog.

Make sure you research any home remedies you try because a lot of essential oils and other remedies can be toxic to dogs and cats.

We all like to cut corners but flea control should not be one of the places that we do.

Never use anything intended for dogs on cats. It can cause seizures and be fatal.
    Thank you GG

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    My dogs haven't brought in any ticks all summer. Heavy rain and cold up here and I found two crawling on one today. Didn't help he was running in the corn for 5 hours I suppose. Not done looking yet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Believe it or not, largely cutting sugar out of your diet will make you less attractive to mosquitoes.

Hard for me to gage whether this works or not. I've been low carb and sugar free for over three years. Maybe I'm missing a lot of bites that I would otherwise have, but I still get bit during the heavy mosquito times and places. :dunno:

I'd like to hear more testimonies to this.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    No ticks all summer and it gets cold and here they are. I got a bite Wed and by Thur nite, it was swollen and running a fever. Every step I took I could feel it in my calf. I took a meat thermometer and held it hard on my left leg, 94d, rt calf 89, I went back and forth with this scientific experiment and decided get to the Doc. I told him about the fever experiment and got a crazy look. Showed him my tick and he agreed it was a tick. Someone has to graduate at the bottom of the class I guess. Zpac started and fitful nite but swelling is going down. It was a red back tick.

Top Bottom