• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Permethrin for ticks. Spray your clothing and boots (don't spray your undies). Deet for your skin.

100% agree.
    The only thing I have to add, use as high a DEET content as you can find.

I spray around the camp site also.
    Well worth the cost for me.

I have a little bottle of 100% DEET in my boonie hat and another in my belt pouch.
    The stuff WORKS.

I also have a head mosquito net in my boonie hat to this day, brain pan padding in the daytime, the only way to keep the blood suckers off, out of ears, nose & mouth at night.

Permethrin on outer cloths, let it dry before you out them on.
    Permethrin isn't supposed to come into contact with skin and don't let pregnant women anywhere near it.

If you get caught out without chemicals,
    Build a smoky fire and smoke your cloths.
    Its not 100%, but it sure will cut down on the creepy-crawlies.

Ammonia for bites, reduces the itch, and kills chiggers where they are dug in under the skin.

Ticks & leaches, touch something hot to their backs and they will let go.
    Salting leaches, or a cut behind the head will make them let go.

In the jungles/swamps, we soaked panty hose in pickle brine and insect repellent and let them dry.
    Hot as hell, but when you are knee deep in mud, balls deep in leaches, choking on the dust, and everything you own gets wet as each canopy reaches dew point (3 times a day) keeping the crotch biters off you is a small victory.
    ... Particularly knowing our malaria pills were made during the Viet Nam war...

We used to pick the leaches off and flick them out into the bush, wonder how long it was going to take for more to find you.
    Miserable existence sometimes...

Citrus PEEL juice sometimes works, particularly lemons.
    Not useful unless you get stranded in a lemon grove...
    Some of the 'Organic' types like it, give me low yield nuclear option and I'll use it! ;)

The wife gets by with Avon 'Skin So Soft',
    Several women swear by it.
    For me it just rings the mosquito dinner bell... Not exactly helpful...

Camp site,
    Keep the wood fire ashes and spread them around the site.
    The caustic lie runs off the creepy-crawlies, ants, ticks, chiggers, anything on the ground.
    You can spread cooled ashes on your skin, it does help, but it will dry your skin out like you wouldn't believe, and you will be one dirty monkey.

Nothing beats a mosquito net, just block the twin engine blood suckers.
    Before 9/11 when people would see old military pictures they would ask why we had 'Scarves' around our necks,
    After 9/11 it was why we had shemaghs,
    It was neither, mosquito nets!
    Back in the day, you could often tell which unit a guy was from by the color/pattern of his mosquito net, don't know if that's true anymore...

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Again, the old wives tail that chiggers are UNDER your skin, surfaces yet another time. By the time you feel a chigger bite itch, the insect is LONG GONE, plus, it was NEVER under your skin.

Sure...
    Wonder how chiggers get through the outer layers of skin to get to the blood supply then?

Top Bottom