• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    Share any mushroom hunting tips you are willing to. I know many outdoorsmen like to keep their secrets, and that's just fine. But I am not that experienced myself and am taking a friend out to look here soon and want to give him a good experience.

My tip is that I have always heard to look around dead elm trees, especially if only the top shows sign of decay. Now, if only I could actually identify them with regularity lol.

Are You Wondering, How Do I Go Mushroom Hunting Near Me? Here's How |  Better Homes & Gardens

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Wait until the oak leaves are a big as a mouse's ear.
    Stay out of my park (or any other state nature preserve).
    Get permission for private property.
    Use a mesh bag so spores can be released while you are walking.
    Avoid trampling wildflowers.

Some of the most prolific areas I found were sites of recent burns in the woods.

Lpherr

Occupied
    We used to find them by the hundreds under those lily pad looking plants. I'm not sure what they're called.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Those could be them. It was a long time ago I used to go with my grandparents.
    If they get about 2-3 feet tall, they are likely correct.
    There were so many, we crawled on the ground to pick them. Some up to the size of a quart jar.
    It was somewhere near Cadillac, MI, and I remember cable line road. There was a fire tower and a long lane. Used
    to come home with between 10 and 15 bushel baskets over flowing.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    There were so many, we crawled on the ground to pick them. Some up to the size of a quart jar.
    It was somewhere near Cadillac, MI, and I remember cable line road. There was a fire tower and a long lane. Used

I have heard of the association with May Apple before, but never personally confirmed it in the wild. I'm also far from being a dedicated hunter.

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)

Wow that’s an almost unbelievable amount! I haven’t ever heard of anyone finding that many at once here, even if they do find a lot. Maybe just a real good spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Look amongst the May Apples. Sides of ravines. Look in moist areas. Look around downed decaying trees. When you see one, stop before you pick it, bend down and look around at ground level. They tend to grow in bunches. Use a mesh bag so you drop spores as you hike. Be patient.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    When you find one, backtrack you steps 10 feet or so. I can't count how many times I've retraced steps and found ones that I walked right past because I wasn't looking close enough.

Top Bottom