• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Looking at the link I am led to believe that the AG in Penn when like to get rid of all recipcrocity agreements. Target was FL. I assume our IN is still good there for now. If not mark Penn off my list of summer vacation destinations. Too bad I wanted to take my daughter to Sesame Street Park.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    It looks like I will have to find another amusement park to take the family to every year.

I have taken the family to Hershey Park every year for the past five years, but given this new anti-gun climate, I can easily find another park, in a firearm friendly state, that my family can enjoy just as much.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Looking at the link I am led to believe that the AG in Penn when like to get rid of all recipcrocity agreements. Target was FL.

No. None of you are reading this right. He wants to get rid of recognizing non-resident permits. That is, if you are from FL and have a FL permit, you're good to go. If you reside in PA and have a FL permit (because you can't get a PA permit), that will no longer be recognized.

As long as you have a license from your home state, you're okay.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If that is the case then yes I did not read correctly. I took it as they dissolved the reciprocity agreement with Florida because people were using FL CWL to circumvent the local PD. I would have thought it easier to simply require Pennsylvania residents to have a PA license. That is what we do here.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I would have thought it easier to simply require Pennsylvania residents to have a PA license. That is what we do here.

That is exactly what they are doing.

Michigan used to be the same way. Michigan law used to read 'we honor permits from other states.' So before Michigan was 'shall-issue', if your county wouldn't issue you a carry license (urban counties usually wouldn't), you just apply in other states and get around the unreasonable bureaucrats.

The MI attorney general said, "Well, that's not what the legislators meant when they wrote the law!" which may be true, but the law read that way. When we got 'shall-issue' the law was changed to read that MI does not recognize non-resident permits. This is what PA did.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No. None of you are reading this right. [STRIKE] He [/STRIKE]She wants to get rid of recognizing non-resident permits. That is, if you are from FL and have a FL permit, you're good to go. If you reside in PA and have a FL permit (because you can't get a PA permit), that will no longer be recognized.

FIFY. :D

The people it hurts isn't PA residents - there permit is (or was) easy to get. The people it hurts are NJ, DE, NY residents who can't get permits from their own states. Now they HAVE to get PA permit.

BFG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No. None of you are reading this right. He wants to get rid of recognizing non-resident permits. That is, if you are from FL and have a FL permit, you're good to go. If you reside in PA and have a FL permit (because you can't get a PA permit), that will no longer be recognized.

Ok, so eventually PA residents will have to obtain a PA permit to carry.

(today FLA tomorrow .....the world!)

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    The issue in the Peoples Republic of Philadelphia is really just a local issue. Basically, in PA the Gun Permit Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department can deny someone for literally any reason (in essence making PA a May Issue State). As a result, many people who were denied for reasons NOT included in the enumerated exclusions would be denied under the "Character" clause. Anyplace in the Commonwealth if you are denied you can appeal to Common Pleas Court, except in Philadelphia it goes to an L&I Review Board (essentially the zoning board) who often rubber stamps the denial. Thank all you can do is appeal to Common Pleas and the only question before them is if you got a fair hearing with L&I, If so, they affirm L&I.

Philadelphia will deny people under the Character clause for things like not having a valid driver's license, having an outstanding parking ticket. If someone was EVER arrested in the past and was found Not Guilty or the charges were dismissed, they will deny them. None of the Sheriff's throughout the State abuse this clause like Philadelphia.

As a result many people who would qualify anyplace else in the Commonwealth seek out of state permits to bypass Philadelphia.

Of course when Seth Williams, District Attorney for Philadelphia was asked back in December if any permit holder was implicated in any of the 350+ Homicides or any were committed using a legally purchased firearm, his response was NO.

So clearly there is a need to close this so called "loop-hole"

This would not impact Indiana permits in PA because this has to do with the specific issue of carrying as a Pennsylvania Resident solely on an Out-of-State permit.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As a result many people who would qualify anyplace else in the Commonwealth seek out of state permits to bypass Philadelphia.
    This would not impact Indiana permits in PA because this has to do with the specific issue of carrying as a Pennsylvania Resident solely on an Out-of-State permit.

Sucks for them. Back when I got my PA permit I got it from Centre Co. which was widely known to freely issue out of state permits. From what i know, you now must go in person to get a permit.*

This is tough for Philly residents because it's classified as a "first class city" in which OC is without a permit is illegal, unlike the rest of the state.

* Moot, because IN LTCH is valid in PA.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Correct me if I am wrong, but even in the good ol' Hoosier state, if you are an Indiana resident, I believe you are required to have an IN LTCH to carry in Indiana. My understanding is that an Indiana resident can not carry on another state's non-resident permit in Indiana. In that regard, is PA trying to pass legislation that is any different than what we already have in IN?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Correct me if I am wrong, but even in the good ol' Hoosier state, if you are an Indiana resident, I believe you are required to have an IN LTCH to carry in Indiana. My understanding is that an Indiana resident can not carry on another state's non-resident permit in Indiana. In that regard, is PA trying to pass legislation that is any different than what we already have in IN?

I think that is what they are doing. In order to prevent residents from carrying with non-resident permits from FL, they are making new legislation. Easy for Philly residents to just go online and get a FL permit to bypass Philly "may issue" abuse, even though it should be shall issue like the rest.

Top Bottom