• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sorry if this is a repeat, since you can't search the forum (unless someone tech savvy can tell me how to do it) Just bought a Morakniv, got it for $15 at the National Gun Day, so far I'm loving it....I don't hunt, but I'll find a use for it Opinions? Complaints? Thanks!!

Attachments

• E8DB9CEE-C292-400F-82CB-B1D4679FE178.jpeg
      E8DB9CEE-C292-400F-82CB-B1D4679FE178.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 35
    • A1C47CAF-3D36-4E88-A5D5-203BF4DE877E.jpeg
      A1C47CAF-3D36-4E88-A5D5-203BF4DE877E.jpeg
      3.1 MB · Views: 34

Bombryder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Oct 22, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Agreed. Very good knives for the price! Not cheap Chinese crap and very usable. I've had a couple companions and they have served me well. Recently bought the stainless Garburg and that thing is an absolute tank and full tang. Much more expensive though

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    They're great. Lightweight. the blade steel seems to be reasonably corrosion resistant. The included sheath on the companion models are meh but cant complain much given the price point. Idk if there's better value fixed blades out there

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I especially like the carbon blades. Have them sprinkled all around in a few configurations. For the money, it would be no big deal to trash one, if need be. Same for gifting it to someone random who needed it worse than you at the time.

Seen this one?...

1633832118234.png

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I especially like the carbon blades. Have them sprinkled all around in a few configurations. For the money, it would be no big deal to trash one, if need be. Same for gifting it to someone random who needed it worse than you at the time.

Seen this one?...

View attachment 162522
    Yes, saw that in the SMKW catalog, haven't used a chisel for a few years.....probably cheaper than some Chinese chisels........

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bought one a couple of years ago. Couldn't resist the price. Great little camp knife. Used mine in the kitchen at home for a few weeks just to put it thru it's paces. Held it's edge well and was very good at kitchen chores. Decent fillet knife as well. Would not want it to be my go to knife in the woods, but as a secondary camp knife, it is a very good choice. I bought the blaze orange version so it would be easy to find at a campsite.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I own a couple Moras and no issues. I did see a suggestion of running a loop of paracord around the top of the clip on sheath, and did so on my Companion model.
    It was clipped on my left side jean pocket, and halfway thru a hike, it disappeard,

Luckily I found it near a log that I went over, and then clipped it to my belt. The loop of 550 cord would prevent that if around my belt.

My No.1 Mora is in a leather sheath worn on a neck cord similar to Cody Lundin.
    I sanded down the red paint on the handle, and painted it Safety Orange to find the knife if it falls out of the sheath. Also added a loop of orange Gorilla Tape on the sheath. and used orange paracord 550. No issues, carbon blade as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had blades disappear when they are laid or dropped in the grass or darkness.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I've had a $9 Companion for several years I got off Amazon. I always preferred carbon steel to stainless. When I first got it, I spent a while grinding off the stamping roughness on the back and used polishing compound on it to give it a mirror shine. Got bored with that and treated it with boiling vinegar solution to give it a patina. Diamond stones and CrO2 get it razor sharp. It cuts through cardboard almost as easily as cutting packing tape when sharp. Very good edge retention. Very impressed with the quality and value.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I keep a few Morakniv's around the yard, shed, etc. Sharp. Cheap enough if I break or lose one I do not worry about it.

Also at home doing chores inside or out I always have an Opinel in my pocket.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’ve got a few around. I think I have one in each of my little get home bags. I was hooked up with Jack Spirko of The Survival Podcast for awhile and was making simple kydex sheathes for his online store. I must have made a couple hundred of them, so they are definitely popular knives!

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I keep a few Morakniv's around the yard, shed, etc. Sharp. Cheap enough if I break or lose one I do not worry about it.

Also at home doing chores inside or out I always have an Opinel in my pocket.
    I want an Opinal, seem like a cool traditional french knife...SMKW has them for pretty cheap....hmmm.. Christmas is coming....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    After watching the video, I now think I need a Mora filet knife. My Rapalas have served me well, but still...

...arrrrrrgh...

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have been using the Morakniv more than any other knife I own, used it to cut up some meat for dinner, much sharper than my kitchen knives, used it as a patch knife the other day, shooting my BP pistol....yes I washed it thoroughly....

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Top Bottom