Modern Samurai Project @ Lebanon, IN -- Red Dot Pistol: Fundamentals and Performance -- August 20-21, 2022

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    @jrm sent out a tentative Lebanon calendar for 2022, I signed up for the MSP course in August & thought others would appreciate!

Course Page: https://modern-samurai-project.mysh...nce-2-day-course-lebanon-in-august-20-21-2022

Previous INGO review: https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...ed-dot-performance-class.470983/#post-7986876

Preview:

Prerequisites: Must have already taken a fundamental class by a vetted instructor. Student should be able to clear Dot Torture drill at 3 yards
    Topics Covered:
    • Zeroing your red dot. 10 yard zero. 25 yard confirmation. Ammo selection.
    • Draw and how to stop fishing for the dot. Why back up irons are necessary?
    • Only use the necessary amount of information required to make an acceptably accurate shot at the speed and distance required.
    • Red dots up close. 5 yards and in.
    • Red dots at distance
    • Speed: Efficiency of draw and presentation. Concealed and Open setups. Speed is the economy of motion. Speed is not useless frenetic movement. Micro Drill training method.
    • Dot tracking: Grip, stance, dot movement, predictability. Stop over confirming the dot!
    • Modes of Practice: Speed mode. Accuracy Mode. Real Mode.
    • How to get better on your own. Dry fire for skill building. Live fire for confirmation.
    • Target transitions
    • Shooting on the move
    • Why you should compete
    • Mini match to test skills
    An opportunity to test for the Black Belt Patch.
    Equipment Needed:
    Slide mounted red dot pistol.
    The ability to carry 3 mags (1 in gun, 2 in pouches).
    Good holster of student's choice. No Serpas. No old leather holsters.
    1000 rounds of reliable ammo.
    Eye pro, Ear pro.
    Sharpie.
    Open Mind.
    Class Time: 8:30 am to 5 pm
    Lebanon City Police Range / 1905 S. Indianapolis Ave / Lebanon, IN 46052

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm trying to decide between this and the sage dynamics rds class. Does anyone have input on either class to share?
    I took the Sage Dynamics class last year along with the OP and skipped this one, so I may do the Modern Samurai class this summer.

I'm a huge Aaron Cowan fan boi, so I would always recommend the Sage Class if I hadn't taken either of them. It's well worth it and will give you lots to work on.

ogtruckin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 10, 2017
    Vault 76
    This is great info. I would consider myself to be intermediate pistol and red dot I've had a lot of training but nothing red dot specific.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I took the Sage Dynamics class last year along with the OP and skipped this one, so I may do the Modern Samurai class this summer.

I'm a huge Aaron Cowan fan boi, so I would always recommend the Sage Class if I hadn't taken either of them. It's well worth it and will give you lots to work on.

I am on the same boat, going to take Modern Samurai this year after taking Sage last year with @MCgrease08 - I HIGHLY recommend the class, posted a review last year: https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...banon-august-2021-review.510855/#post-8844834

What level shooter are you and what is your experience with the dot? IMHO if you are toward the novice end I would start with Aaron and hit Jedi next time.
    I'll report back after Modern Samurai, but this sounds smart -- Aaron helps you pour a good foundation for red dot shooting, worth reviewing his white paper "White Paper: Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use, Fourth Edition (2021)" posted on his website: https://www.sagedynamics.org/

Top Bottom