• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    A good brand 12". If you have the money, buy a sliding compound miter saw. I 'think' that a 12" will cut a 4X6. In fact, I know it will. You get out to a 2X8, though...and you have to do 2 cuts. I think it advertises on the side how big a board it will cut w/o issue.

I don't know which brand is better. Dewalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, Makita all come to mind as good brands. I'm a big fan of buying once and being done with it(although oddly I didn't do that on reloading stuff...lol) so I tend to stay away from Harbor Freight or other store brands. Craftsman isn't what it once was. Not sure who makes their tools anymore. I'm afraid its probably a bit better than Harbor Freight but I very well could be wrong. Harbor Freight stuff might suit you fine if you only use it once every few months. Mine tends to sit for months at a time, then I pull it out and do some major project, then put it away again for a few months. I have non sliding compound Makita miter saw. 12". It keeps on coming back for more. Its about 5-10 yrs old.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    As long as you have room for a slider you will have a lot less instances over time where you wish you had more capacity. You will not regret double bevel. I don't know what is considered the top dog these days, the last time I paid attention Bosch was getting reviews as the latest and greatest but that was at least 5 years ago. In the professional shops that I am familiar with everyone moved on from Hitachi to Dewalt 15 years ago. Some of those saws are still running but the ones that have died have been replaced with newer Dewalts as the owners have been happy with them. Lights on the saws and laser sights are features I have really embraced and wish I had on my 12 inch 15 year old Dewalt.

Yah, a laser guide would be nice. I do most of my cutting outside but if in a shop, I could see that being very nice...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you are cutting things like 4"X6" you will need a bit more saw. They only go so deep.

THIS.

My Delta compound mitre saw (15+ years old) always leave a little bit on 6" lumber and boards (or is it 8" ?). That's why I wish I had a sliding model.

It does cut 4"x4"s without any problem; pretty sure it's just a 10" blade.

Soon the coffee will kick in and I'll start remembering.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Most of the saws out there will do the job okay for most homeowners. Brands like Porter-Cable, Rigid, Dewalt, Ryobi are probably getting the components from the same suppliers and maybe even having them manufactured in the same place.

I have many brands of tools in my shop. I try to buy a particular tool from a company that built it's name on that tool. So for Rigid, I buy hand tools, mostly plumbing. For Porter Cable, I buy electric sanders, for Milwaukee I buy drills and my Sawzall, of course.

Everyone wants to get in the game. Like I said, most of it is probably serviceable for most homeowners but like my guns, I don't want the equipment to be a limiting factor. So I tend to buy the better stuff.

I think Bosch is doing pretty well. Hitachi may be fine, I don't know much about them. DeWalt is what it is. I have a few, but nothing that gets used on a regular basis.

I will not buy anything with a motor or anything that requires precision out of from Harbor Freight. When it comes to cutting wood, I want multiple, repetitive cuts. Loose shafts and out of round shafts will not produce good results no matter how good the operator is.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I bought a used Porter-Cable non-sliding compound 12" from a member here. The laser is truly a time saver. I still have an old Makita 10" non-compound that I bought at Sams for $50 that's still going strong and is great for simple 2x4 projects.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Did DeWalt used to be good? My miter saw is 20+ years old. The only thing wrong with it is the electric brake doesn't work anymore.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did DeWalt used to be good? My miter saw is 20+ years old. The only thing wrong with it is the electric brake doesn't work anymore.

Dewalt used to make some of the highest quality woodworking tools in the cabinet industry. Radial arms saws, drill presses, etc. Fast forward to the 90's when Black and Decker bought them and they started introducing their "yellow" tools. They were basically B&D tools with yellow housings. Then they added some robustness to the tools with better bearings and motors.

I don't know how they are now, but they seem to be working well for a lot of people. I would draw an analogy to a Taurus revolver. A lot of people here would never own one because, well, it's a Taurus. They have "heard" and "read" things about them. Others have owned them for years and they have been a perfectly serviceable firearm for them.

I wouldn't be afraid of DeWalt. They just wouldn't be my first choice.

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I bought a craftsman when we built our house and really like it. I think it's a 10" slider. Whatever you buy take the time to adjust it as best as you can to get it square and true. They are only close from the factory.

Jason

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a used Porter-Cable non-sliding compound 12" from a member here. The laser is truly a time saver. I still have an old Makita 10" non-compound that I bought at Sams for $50 that's still going strong and is great for simple 2x4 projects.

I have a lot of Porter cable tools that I beat the crap out of when I was still in a service truck. The only one that went Poo was the battery drill. It was still viable but the battery's were toast. I burned down 3 sets with them (2) and decided to step up from the 12V package to a 14 in a Dewalt. They did not live as long as the Porters did. Junk by comparison.
    Milwaukee or Ridgid are my go to brands for hand held Batt/elect tools now. Tough as nails.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I have a lot of Porter cable tools that I beat the crap out of when I was still in a service truck. The only one that went Poo was the battery drill. It was still viable but the battery's were toast. I burned down 3 sets with them (2) and decided to step up from the 12V package to a 14 in a Dewalt. They did not live as long as the Porters did. Junk by comparison.
    Milwaukee or Ridgid are my go to brands for hand held Batt/elect tools now. Tough as nails.

DeWalt and porter cable are actually now both Black and Decker holdings and I believe are currently made in the same factory.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Good question. Mine's like 20+ years old and is still running fine. It's an old Craftsman with compound cut ability.

My information is too old to answer your question but one accessory I did buy to go with mine is a portable stand. I'd recommend one for any miter saw.

Alternative to a stand would be to build your own workstation with a couple base cabinets and a top. Allowing for the miter to sit low and flush with the table top. Then your material will flat across the table and you can make your cuts. Lot of ideas out there if you search rolling miter station.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Alternative to a stand would be to build your own workstation with a couple base cabinets and a top. Allowing for the miter to sit low and flush with the table top. Then your material will flat across the table and you can make your cuts. Lot of ideas out there if you search rolling miter station.

That is a good idea for a permanent set up.
    I have a block I made to hold the work level with the saw.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    DeWalt and porter cable are actually now both Black and Decker holdings and I believe are currently made in the same factory.

They are and the parent company has lowered the quality of Porter Cable. The Idea is that DeWalt is top of the line, Porter cable is consumer grade.

I love my Porter Cable power tools that were made before the merger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They are and the parent company has lowered the quality of Porter Cable. The Idea is that DeWalt is top of the line, Porter cable is consumer grade.

I love my Porter Cable power tools that were made before the merger.

Sawzall and 1/2" combo drill hammer drill. Both have been worked hard. Very hard. (2) 3/8" hand drills and yes, worked very hard and still kick tail. These are probably 20 years old.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    That is a good idea for a permanent set up.
    I have a block I made to hold the work level with the saw.

I actually built a station where there is a floating shelf in the center. I can take the shelf out and lay my contractor table saw in the hole, and I have a nice table for ripping. Same table but 2 saws interchangeable.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I was a carpenter for a lot of years and a hobby woodworker for even longer. My dad has a ten inch marital fixed and I've used Hitachi as well as Craftsman and Delta. I personally own an older Dewalt DW 708 twelve inch slide miter that I've used to cut everything from siding to crown moulding. It has served me well for 14 years now. Blades are not way out of hand price wise and being able to cut larger pieces of lumber was a need for me. Full disclosure I haven't used a Ridgid saw but love their cordless tools. My big complaint with Dewalt is their cords, the deteriorate a lot faster than my other tools(Milwaukee,Makita) that being said it's not hard to replace them. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom