• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was originally looking forward to Portillo's coming to Indy, but once they got here, and I started seeing the Yelp reviews, I have no desire to go there anymore. I know I wouldn't like their Italian beef because, well, I don't like Italian beef because of the peperoncini. Or the "gravy". :): Every review says that they're really noisy and chaotic too, so not for me.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    First post on the gun site and it's about beer and beef! Kinda fitting for me I guess... It's Been a while since I had either, but I'm siding with the guys choosing Zels over Portillos. I loved their chilli-cheese-beef fries! May have to take a road trip soon. Don't know about the Stroh's reason for sure, but I do believe Coors was cold pasteurize and couldn't come this far until refrigerated trucks came out? That whole cold, hot, cold beer skunk thing...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    First post on the gun site and it's about beer and beef! Kinda fitting for me I guess... It's Been a while since I had either, but I'm siding with the guys choosing Zels over Portillos. I loved their chilli-cheese-beef fries! May have to take a road trip soon. Don't know about the Stroh's reason for sure, but I do believe Coors was cold pasteurize and couldn't come this far until refrigerated trucks came out? That whole cold, hot, cold beer skunk thing...
    Welcome to :ingo:. Yes, you're exactly right about the refrigeration thing with Coor's. I'm not sure if it was the same reason for Stroh's or not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Welcome to :ingo:. Yes, you're exactly right about the refrigeration thing with Coor's. I'm not sure if it was the same reason for Stroh's or not.
    temp changes isnt what skunks beer. Its light. Thats why some bottles are brown.

And we had the bootleg beer here not too long ago. Yuengling. I knew guys in Cincy that drove from there to PA line to bring a trunkload back for a wedding. And for a while when it got to OH, I was doing it to get it back here. (but only when I travelled. I wouldnt make a dedicated run to Oxford, OH. (closest beer place off 70)

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    OMG
    i would love White castle in Fort Wayne

I actually looked into it couple years ago but they do not franchise. I would open three of them here in town if I could, they would be a goldmine.

I was told by someone who knows happenings in the city and they told me they were not here because of Powers. I can not see that being the reason. Oh well.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Welcome to INGO

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Well if we all liked the same things in life. we all would shoot (insert gun Manufacture here). and all would drive (insert Vehicle Manufacture here)
    However like said in my first post i have not tried anything at Portillo's other Chicago dog's , Fries and Onion rings. Also i Believe in the theory of why go to Restaurants that is known for steaks and order fish or vise versa

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I will definitely stop next time I am over there. I always say I am going to try something else, but always get the Italian beef. The wife ordered the chili dogs. So I might get a chili dog.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have probably been to almost a dozen different Portillo's Restaurants and around here the lines through the drive-thru are almost insane virtually all of their open hours. I'd be surprised if there gross receipts per day are not quite a bit bigger than McDonald's. The founder must have been quite a character, every time you're in a group of people and Portillo's is mentioned two or three people claim to have known him. As for the Coors beer, decades ago neighbors used to bring it back warm from Colorado with seemingly no ill effects.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    From someone with a California palate, Portillos is middle of the road. Don’t usually eat there but it’s better than usual food for a drive through. What you midwesterners really need is an In and Out. That would be a game changer.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    From someone with a California palate, Portillos is middle of the road. Don’t usually eat there but it’s better than usual food for a drive through. What you midwesterners really need is an In and Out. That would be a game changer.
    Fat chance of getting an In-n-Out. They don't expand out this way Would love to have one.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    We have a Portillos now but I haven't been there. Between looking at their menu, and the reviews I've read both here and on Yelp and other places, it's unlikely I ever will go there.
    You won't miss anything. I've been several times since the in-laws love it and I just don't get the hype. Italian beef? I suppose it is great if you like tasteless beef on soggy bread. It might help if the au jus had more flavor than the tap water. The "hot dogs" are all beef which is a deal breaker since proper hot dogs are either made of pork or at least a blend containing pork. I've been disappointed with everything I've tried and I've tried most of the menu trying to find something to justify the hype.

Top Bottom