• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OK, let's say that patriotism took hold with the masses (wishful thinking), and a rifle spec was created to fulfill the Minuteman criteria. This would be a rifle that every red-blooded American would own and would shoot until proficient. It would be the rifle that any of us would grab should the call to defend our country be required. This would be the 21st-century musket that we would carry on the spirit of Concord and Lexington.

What should it be? What would INGO recommend every American arm themselves with should the call to arms come? Let's talk config, caliber, and quality. If the spirit of the Minuteman should be embraced, what should we have when the call to muster comes?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    OK, let's say that patriotism took hold with the masses (wishful thinking), and a rifle spec was created to fulfill the Minuteman criteria. This would be a rifle that every red-blooded American would own and would shoot until proficient. It would be the rifle that any of us would grab should the call to defend our country be required. This would be the 21st-century musket that we would carry on the spirit of Concord and Lexington.

What should it be? What would INGO recommend every American arm themselves with should the call to arms come? Let's talk config, caliber, and quality. If the spirit of the Minuteman should be embraced, what should we have when the call to muster comes?

Um.....AR15 in 5.56 with standard capacity magazines and a bayonet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Optic? Barrel length? Quality level?

What would you want someone that you might depend on to have? If the guy next to you has a $399 AR with an NCStar holo sight, would you be good with that?

I'm thinking reference rifle that would meet the need.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Minuteman = light speedy configuration. Most targets from CQB to 200-300 yds out.
    NFA rules out the window so AR platform, ~11.5-14.5 pencil barreled, suppressed, 5.56mm shooting a 69-77 gr load.
    Minimum loadout of 6 x 30rnd mags on body with another 6 in a pack.
    Enough water, Oreos & Skittles for at least 3 days of tyrant hunting.

Of course you'd need additional gear for a real skirmish. It's a start.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Minuteman = light speedy configuration. Most targets from CQB to 200-300 yds out.
    NFA rules out the window so AR platform, ~11.5-14.5 pencil barreled, suppressed, 5.56mm shooting a 69-77 gr load.
    Minimum loadout of 6 x 30rnd mags on body with another 6 in a pack.
    This would be standard i think.
    A 10.5" will reach out to 500yds without to much effort using 75-77gr bullets, and a nice 1-8x LPVO.

I still don't understand why people like 55-62gr in a 5.56 AR-15. It's just to light IMO.

Minuteman
    Although the terms militia and minutemen are sometimes used interchangeably today, in the 18th century there was a decided difference between the two. Militia were men in arms formed to protect their towns from foreign invasion and ravages of war. Minutemen were a small hand-picked elite force which were required to be highly mobile and able to assemble quickly. Minutemen were selected from militia muster rolls by their commanding officers. Typically 25 years of age or younger, they were chosen for their enthusiasm, reliability, and physical strength. Usually about one quarter of the militia served as Minutemen, performing additional duties as such. The Minutemen were the first armed militia to arrive or await a battle. - Andrew Ronemus

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Since the Minutemen were the top 25% of the militia .... a fast, young, strong fighting force .... they'd want a strong, capable platform.
    Although they'd probably have a few designated overwatch personnel, most would want a run-and-gun woods weapon.

BCM (16" barrel, mid-length gas) with a Trijicon Aimpoint would be their ticket !
    They could borrow mine, but I'd probably be using it.

1686278891317.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    1686279442249.png
    Papa Eugene already got you covered. Fixed 0-300 yard battle sight. 1-9 twist for the most common 55 and 62 grain ammunition. Light profile. Rifle gas and full power 20" barrel. About the only thing I'd change is swapping to a carbine buffer and collapsible stock for widest range of shooters.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Optic? Barrel length? Quality level?

What would you want someone that you might depend on to have? If the guy next to you has a $399 AR with an NCStar holo sight, would you be good with that?

I'm thinking reference rifle that would meet the need.
    This is an interesting and fun thought exercise.
    I suppose you could look at Switzerland or similar countries that have a service requirement, where supposedly every household or whatever has an issued rifle, to gain some insight.

In your thought exercise, am I forced to use what “they” issued?

I can’t imagine TPTB that made up the spec and issued the rifles would issue me what I want. It’s exactly what MM posted above, that Trijicon glass is fantastic and the design of that scope really allows both eyes open shooting at low power levels with the advantage of power when you need it.
    Many of us more marksman - less minutemen types would benefit from some magnification.

I don’t have much experience with an SBR and I think I’m fine with my 16/18/20” barrels. But I know I don’t know what I don’t know. The operator with the 11” suppressed with night vision may put me and my 18” barrel with the Trijicon in the same front line as the guy with the NCStar.

The guy with the $399 rifle and the NCStar, well, let’s just say I might not be standing next to him for very long - which is kind of my whole thought on this - we will self-sort just like the minutemen were sorted out back on the day. Assuming we are allowed to - what are they going to do, shoot us?

Last edited:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    The militia, and the Minutemen, were citizen soldiers and provided their own arms within certain expectations.

Today, I would expect a 5.56 AR pattern rifle in the 11.5 - 20in range, probably with some form of optic. Mags of course, and a good supply of powder and ball. (for me 68gr to 77gr)

Remember, that man next to you with the $399 AR and no optic or a poor one may be the best marksman and bravest militia member, who is just poor or just starting out.

I have what I think I need as a minimum, and I'm just a fat past his "best if used by date" Boy Scout. I suspect many here are far more capable than I.

During the summer of love, I suggested the unorganized militia be called out (10USC 246). I wasn't joking.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The militia, and the Minutemen, were citizen soldiers and provided their own arms within certain expectations.

Today, I would expect a 5.56 AR pattern rifle in the 11.5 - 20in range, probably with some form of optic. Mags of course, and a good supply of powder and ball. (for me 68gr to 77gr)

Remember, that man next to you with the $399 AR and no optic or a poor one may be the best marksman and bravest militia member, who is just poor or just starting out.

I have what I think I need as a minimum, and I'm just a fat past his "best if used by date" Boy Scout. I suspect many here are far more capable than I.

During the summer of love, I suggested the unorganized militia be called out (10USC 246). I wasn't joking.
    Also remember if you are a rich minuteman, with your top tier gear, and firearms, and you die the poor minuteman will grab your gear, and continue on with the fight.

1686306163695.png

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    just to be clear I agree with this and wasn’t knocking anyone who is just starting out or can’t afford more, it’s just the odds are with those who are more prepared.
    And I definitely know you can have top tier gear and not be prepared; the best equipment is between the ears.

Top Bottom