• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Hi I am looking at buying a ruger mini 14, it is a 196 series. From what I have read on the internet is that the 196s suffer from the mini 14s "lack of accuracy". So I am hoping I can get the imput from both 190 series owners and 580 series owners to see if I should buy the old or the new. Now I am not going to use this as a target gun or anything just more of a plinker. Thanks Ramick.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Hi I am looking at buying a ruger mini 14, it is a 196 series. From what I have read on the internet is that the 196s suffer from the mini 14s "lack of accuracy". So I am hoping I can get the imput from both 190 series owners and 580 series owners to see if I should buy the old or the new. Now I am not going to use this as a target gun or anything just more of a plinker. Thanks Ramick.

I will try and answer your question as I think I know what rifle you are talking about:D The older Mini 14 rifles have a thinner barrel that heats up after you shoot very much. You will have wider groups after the barrel heats up and not be as "dead on" as say an AR. However, they are good for what they were designed for which is plinking and taking down a coyote etc. The Mini was never designed to be a target rifle and the sights are a larger ring in back with a thick blade up front. You will be able to hit an animal sized target consistently as well as human sized at good range but you will not be holding 1 MOA groups. The newer Mini 14 was designed from what I can tell to be a bit more robust but still not as good as an AR in accuracy but very reliable like the older mini. Basically, if you want a target/tight group rifle then go with an AR but if you want something that shoots well and is pretty accurate and does what it was designed to do which is reliable and durable then go with a mini or AK.

Hope that helps.

Xenophon223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Dyer
    I've shot several different Mini's including the one my Mini obsessed friend sank $1000 into to make the world most accurate Mini, none of them impressed me, including the custom built x-gun. My first rifle was a Mini-14 GB stainless. I practiced every week for two years with that rifle, but could not get a group smaller than 2.25" , I was ready to kill myself. I bought an AR, went to the range and as soon as it was sighted pulled an inch. The whippy barrel combined with a heavy slide assembly just don't lend themselves to accuracy.

Mini's are fun to shoot, but ask yourself what you want the gun for. In my experience, there is nothing an AR won't do better. The only advantage is you can pretty easily make the barest minimum length legal rifle with a folding stock and some barrel work.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I don't think 2.25" groups is bad when you consider the range you'd probably use a min for. I'm guessing that would be less than 300 yds.

True. That has you at a 7 inch spread at 300 yards. Easily enough coverage for a human sized target, good enough for a coyote, but not really enough for smaller pests like a skunk, groundhog, etc. unless you are really close.

My main complaint is the insane cost of decent magazines. The only reliable aftermarket magazines that I ever owned for the Mini were "Eagle" brand, and they are up around $20-30 per mag now (just did a search before posting, and it looks like the "Eagle International" company doesn't offer these anymore, and the couple of places that still listed them said they were sold out). The Ruger factory 30 rounders are around $50. I can still pick up magazines for the AR at under $10.

I have owned two Mini-14s in my life; I currently own neither of them.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The magazines by National have been good for me and others that I know who have shot the Mini 14 and I have no issues with my Promag either. I must be the special exception:D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Not sure what you will be paying for the Mini but I would also suggest the CMMG bargain bin AR's. At $599.99 these really are a bargain and the 3 I have seen have been great. All have been head spaced and test fired, M4 style with 16 inch barrels, flattop upper with fixed front sight. 1 in 9 twist.

Bargain Bin

Xenophon223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Dyer
    I don't think 2.25" groups is bad when you consider the range you'd probably use a min for. I'm guessing that would be less than 300 yds.

True, 2.25 MOA is not bad, but I was unable to measure my actual skill with that gun and let me tell you it was very frustrating. Also remember that's under range conditions. Any error in field shooting is going to be magnified proportionally.

The magazine issue is significant. Magazine problems are one of if not the top cause of malfunctions. The eagle mags are what I shot with my Mini and they are reliable but fragile. Great AR mags are $10-$15. Cost of the rifles being close, an AR is a better choice.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle from the 580 series and I feel that its a great rifle for what I want it for. Is accurate enough for me, I guess, cause I'm not going to make a more than 300 yard shot at a small target (nor at larger one :)). Yep I do agree the price of the mags SUCK!!!! I don't understand why they can't make a cheap and reliable aftermarket mag for it :dunno:

For me I like the Mini 14 purely for, what must would consider to be a stupid reason, but it reminds me of the old style WWII military rifles but shoots the cheaper .223 or 5.56 rd.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have a 186 series and a new Tactical Model.
    The Tactical runs rings around the older model as far as accuracy goes.
    I can get 1.5 in groups @100 yds, using a 3-9X scope and a bipod. (If I do my part)
    Putting a flash hider and an "AcuStrut" on the older model should help dampen the barrel whip caused by the "pencil" barrel and the heat build up which causes vertical stringing.
    CDNN sells the Ruger Factory 20 rd mags for $25.00 and the Factory 30 rd ones for $30.00.
    Not great, but a lot better than they used to be. :rolleyes:
    Mike

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For the price honestly you would be better off getting a AK74. If you are not looking for super accuracy, you can shoot Wolf ammo, which is till pretty cheap. My :twocents:. Used to own one, and for the price and the price of mags. I do not think it's worth the cost.

Top Bottom