• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    I'm sure a lot of you have stockpiles of surplus 8mm Mauser ammo, but anyone looking for new production brass cased ammo might want to check out MidwayUSA. They've got 196gr PPU soft points for $21/box, and they have a deal going today for free shipping on orders $49+

Thanks for the heads up. Already had some 8mm but can always use more. Not as cheap as I'd like but don't see the price coming down much anytime soon.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Here's why I was on the look out for 8MM Mauser ammo earlier this week... I finally joined the Mauser club last weekend. A while back I had sworn off adding any more calibers to the collection, but that went out the window when I bought that Arisaka Type 99 earlier this summer. So, when the same fella offered me these two beauties for what i thought was a decent price, I decided I may as well take him up on the deal.

Top is a Yugo M24/47; bottom is a Czech vz.24. Nothing really special about either that I can tell by looking at the markings, but they both seemed to be in pretty decent condition with nice bores, so i figured they'd make fine shooters. The Yugo has its crest, but the one on the vz.24 was scrubbed and over-stamped "1937". I gave $750 for the pair, along with one box of Portuguese commercial 8mm ammo.

100_0632.JPG

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here's why I was on the look out for 8MM Mauser ammo earlier this week... I finally joined the Mauser club last weekend. A while back I had sworn off adding any more calibers to the collection, but that went out the window when I bought that Arisaka Type 99 earlier this summer. So, when the same fella offered me these two beauties for what i thought was a decent price, I decided I may as well take him up on the deal.

Top is a Yugo M24/47; bottom is a Czech vz.24. Nothing really special about either that I can tell by looking at the markings, but they both seemed to be in pretty decent condition with nice bores, so i figured they'd make fine shooters. The Yugo has its crest, but the one on the vz.24 was scrubbed and over-stamped "1937". I gave $750 for the pair, along with one box of Portuguese commercial 8mm ammo.

View attachment 223544
    Very nice!!

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Very nice!!

Thanks! I took 'em out for a test drive earlier in the week using the Portuguese ammo, while i waited for my new PPU ammo to show up. Both shot pretty well, but i think i favored the Yugo just a bit due to its hooded front sight, slightly less weight, and half as many sling swivels clanking around. I was amazed how light the recoil was, given the size of the 8mm round.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks! I took 'em out for a test drive earlier in the week using the Portuguese ammo, while i waited for my new PPU ammo to show up. Both shot pretty well, but i think i favored the Yugo just a bit due to its hooded front sight, slightly less weight, and half as many sling swivels clanking around. I was amazed how light the recoil was, given the size of the 8mm round.
    I've got two VZ-24's. Someone mounted a Lyman rear peep sight on one of them. That is so much nicer than those tiny Mauser sights!

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    This might be my new favorite thread!

The first gun I ever bought was a Mosin Nagant 1891/30 when I was 20 for $100. Barrel is stamped 1943. Not long after that the movie Enemy at the Gates came out and I got see my rifle as piece of history. I’ve been smitten by Milsurps ever since. The clean lines, the wood, the stories, the milsurp smell, love all of it! I also have a Yugo M48 that I love. I traded a High Point, a .22 trainer rifle and a beat up Mosin M44 for it. Those three guns were gifted to me so I basically got the M48 for free! Pics coming soon!

I remember looking at FN49 at the Indy 1500 years ago for $250 and passed it up. I regret that.

Milsurps I’d love to collect if the budget allowed: M1 Garand, K98, 1903, PSL (aka Romak 3) and something clean in 7mm Mauser and 6.5 Swede

Does a CETME count as “milsurp” and if so how about the Century Arms C308 version that claims to be built from milsurp parts? I have a C308 that I put an actual milsurp CETME wood stock on.

I’m at a place where I think black rifles are boring. I love all the pics and stories on this thread!

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    2A0B6B22-81B8-4088-9121-D6D8036860B6.jpeg FD1FE4A7-0C49-49A9-A7E8-05E2A877EF7A.jpeg 85802FC3-7D61-445C-A928-0E083A13E8FF.jpeg 741A0B81-B927-48ED-8F04-7AB6D333431F.jpeg

I know some guys are purists, and I respect that, but I’m not. I like working on things and tweaking them to my own personal taste. (If I had a Garand or World War 1911 I’d leave it alone and just enjoy the history of it)

The Mosin was my first gun and first project. I wanted a clean more modern look without loosing the classic look and feel.

I’ve done nothing with the M48 yet except field strip and clean it. That mount was already on it. I’m still deciding if I want to find a rear M48 sight to put back on it or put a scout/pistol scope or red dot it. Any thoughts or ideas?

I don’t know if the CETME C308 counts as “milsurp” but I included it since I swapped out the plastic stock with a Spanish CETME stock. I couldn’t find the color I wanted so I mixed my own custom stain for it. I love how it turned out!

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Nice rifle, and nice bayo! Hopefully you already had a lead on some ammo for it too? Looks like $45 - 50 per box is the cheapest online according to ammoseek.
    yeah, thats what I found too. good thing it will be a low volume shooter

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....buying ammo for Milsurps will damage your wallet. Bought two boxes of Match 30.06 the other day. $25 a box. Need to get a set of dies and reload after this. Bought a box of Hornaday hunting ammo right after buying my 03. It's a low number gun, only shot a couple just to get a feel for it. Not afraid of these guns like some are. No need to strain the old piece, will save that stuff for the zombie apocalypse

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    No, it has been ground off, couldnt justify full mum prices.
    Guy who sets up at one of our local gun shows, has 2 or 3 striped receivers with the mums still intact.........not all that expensive if memory serves me right.
    Pm me if you want his info.....I believe he has enough parts to build up the receivers into rifles

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    v7eT4yD.jpg

wsTKA8u.jpg

Here is an interesting video on the AA Sights:
    How the Anti-Aircraft Sights on the Bolt Action Type 99 Arisaka Worked

Last edited:

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Just got an unexpected deal at a local gun store... They had a bin of unpriced "Misc" pistol mags. Found two standard 8rd Tokarev mags and a 9rd Yugo M57 mag. None of them had any markings, so they may all be newer commercial production, but they look decent, so im happy. These mags go for $25 - 40 each online, but the guy gave me all 3 for $20 (total) after telling me he was pretty sure they were 1911 mags. I kind of feel like I robbed them, but they obviously didnt know what they had.

Top Bottom