Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This reminds me:
    When I was at the US Army airborne school as an Air Force ROTC cadet, I was in one of the training companies, which had two platoons. One platoon was full of army infantry guys who were destined to be real paratroopers in the 82nd airborne. The other platoon was full of people like me who were there for the experience and training, but were not going to be actual paratroopers, so we had Air Force guys, both cadets, and regular Air Force, marines, Navy, army, foreign troops, and whatnot. (I didn’t detect any difference in training effort between the two platoons. After all jumping out of an airplane will kill you if you’re not properly trained whether you’re going to be a real paratrooper or not).

One day the black hats (instructors) got inspired and decided to have a singing contest for my platoon. First, they had the Navy guys sing “Anchors Aweigh.” Then the Marines did the Marine Corps hymn. Then Air Force doing our song. Then they turn to the US army guys. Mass confusion. The army boys had no idea what to sing, and when told what they did sing was off key. The black hats, who are of course, regular army guys, were pissed and made everybody doing push-ups

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The Army does not have a song.

They modify the artillery song.

It always bothered this paratrooper.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do they glow in the dark?

Don
    Why would they. No radiation. Just hamsters.

We just keep some radium from old watches, to make the detectors go crazy and scare people.
    Then they won't investigate further, and find the hamsters.

If you're trying to hide something, you give them something to look for.
    Then when they find it, they STOP looking.
    And what you're hiding stays hid.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It matters not what you think. That is the "Caissons go rolling along" (the Artillery song) with some words changed and it S****.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

We just keep some radium from old watches, to make the detectors go crazy and scare people.

If you Navy guys are hiding your hamsters I for one do not want to hear anymore.....:n00b:

Don

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

By the way...
    Use this knowledge when putting up security cameras.
    Can put up a fake camera here and there, for them to see.
    People might look for more of them, because they assume they'll all be the same.
    But in reality, you'll have your hidden cameras catching them, when they avoid the fake cameras.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This is very true, and I have use this once, or twice myself, but I’m not sure the statute of limitations is expired yet, so I’m gonna tell somebody else’s story.

One of my supervisors was an Air Force pilot on B-52’s, 707’s, and various other aircraft. Air Force pilots are subject to no-notice check rides, where one of the standards and evaluation guys shows up out of the blue on a mission to grade their flying ability.

Aside from watching them actually fly, the Stan/Eval guy will ask questions about various flying subjects and procedures to see how knowledgeable and current the pilot is. Say you’re strong in one subject, know you’re weak in another. Then the Stan/Eval asks you about one of your strong areas you give a vague answer which will cause him to think “Aha!” and start asking more questions about your strong suit. With any luck these eats up time and steers him away from one of your weaker areas.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    573F74A2-94D4-454A-A105-FD28E7FA5DB8.jpeg

This picture from this funny picture thread reminded me.

I spent about half my career with the US and NATO AWACS. Among the skills and talents I picked up, was running the airborne operational computer program (AOCP) in the mission simulator. AOCP was the brain of the AWACS and correlated all the sensor inputs from radar, IFF, navigation, crew switch actions, intelligence data, etc. and presented the air picture to the crew. The mission simulator was basically identical to the back end of the E-3A, it had all the crew consoles for the surveillance and weapons control crew members. I spent a fair amount of time in the same watching dots fly around on the screen.

The AOCP had to be loaded into the mission computer using 800 bit-per-inch tapes. (This was old technology, even in the early 80s, but it worked and was flight rated). Getting AOCP loaded and running correctly was a rather long and tedious process. We had a big fat checklist to go through.

AOCP could be brought up in two modes: ”live” or Sim. Live meant you were on the airplane and you actually had a radar and all the other gizmos feeding data to AOCP. Sim of course meant you were in the mission simulator and data would be fed to AOCP via a sim tape or replay (of a mission) tape.

If you successfully booted the thing up, you would get one of two messages in a little hexadecimal display on the computer operators console.

For those who don’t know, the hexadecimal system has 16 digits, zero through nine and A through F. (A through F stood for the numbers 10 through 15.)

So the message in the computer operator display would be a series of five hexadecimal digits, if AOCP was successfully launched.

Live AOCP would display zero eight alpha eight echo, or 0BABE

Sim AOCP Would display zero bravo zero zero bravo echo, or B00BE.

As I mentioned, the procedure to get the thing running, was long and tedious, and easy to make mistakes on until you had quite a bit of practice at it. So it was not unusual to hear somebody in the Sim shout “yay! I got booby!” ;);)

The software for the AWACS was written in the late 70s, and probably ported from the ground air defense systems, so for all, I know the old SAGE and BUIC sites also used 0BABE and B00BE for their successful boot up messages.

the AWACS has much more modern computer equipment on these days, so I expect the old success messages went by the wayside. Sad.

Top Bottom