Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

It's not the first time a debate over the fleece has popped up, as questions sporadically surface about whether the jacket is primarily intended to be an undergarment worn under other cold weather gear. Though Army rules make it clear the jacket can be worn as an outer garment and are otherwise generally loose on when and where troops can wear it.

A top Army official overseeing uniform rules squashed any of that confusion back in January.

"It's an outer garment," Sgt. Maj. Ashleigh Sykes, the top enlisted leader for uniform policy said on Twitter in January. "There is hook and loop for name tapes, rank, and US Army to make that obvious."
    Yeah, but a Battalion Commander can decide it makes his troops look too much like OD Winnie The Pooh...he'll just be seen as a douche....which he probably was before this.

Back in my day, unless it was super cold and windy (like under 20*), we would frequently wear the field jacket liner under the BDU blouse without the field jacket (if it was our choice)...we thought we looked tough. We probably just looked fat.

But the BDUs were the best and remain the best.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know that the guy who made the decision COULD make the decision.
    I was just HAPPY that of all the crap I dealt with, that was one I didn't have to worry much about.

Heck, we had guys with Mohawks, the Capt. just said.. as long as it's gone before we pull into port.

We weren't scheduled for port for.. let's just say.. a while.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In my early days the BDU was brand new, At least to the Air Force. Equivalent for the flyers of course was the flight suit. Black leather boots for both, although the flight guys had a special pair I think.

Anyway, only black or white socks were authorized for wear with the BDU orflight suit and black boots combination. White doesn’t sound real tactical, but nobody would see them because they’re under your pants or flight suit.

However if you did wear the white ones, they were supposed to be plain white. And those days “Jock socks” were popular, the knee high Mostly white socks but with some horizontal stripes around the top.

But again, who is going to see them?

Brigadier General James, that’s who.

At the time he was our newly minted one star commander to the 552nd Airborne Warning and Control Wing, and he had a thing about the white socks which he made sure everybody knew about. I was told that he met one of our returning E3 AWACS planes, stood at the bottom of the stairway and made every returning crewmember (usually 34 crewdogs) raise their flight suit pantlegs so he could see the colors of their socks. Fine of $50 per stripe. And those were 1986-ish dollars.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    A second lieutenant jacked me up for not saluting him in the field once I explained to him that in the 82nd we call that a field firing squad.

The next day I walked by the commanding general and said good morning sir as I walked by and he said, Good morning sergeant.
    Funny... once had a Cpt do the exact same thing. We were on the wire, Korean DMZ. He was an a--hat. I didn't explain $h-t, and was happy to snap a salute every time I saw him, until another officer noticed it and took him aside for a chat.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    In MARDET it was a correct UOD for whatever was scheduled. Creased, bloused and starched Utility uniform (OD green in my day, before camo). Often it was Dress Blues, had to be top notch correct. The 1st SGT would make you miserable if you weren't up to speed.

I reported abord in Naples and the next morning was a Dress Blues inspection. I was nervous being new. On an elevator while underway in the full sun. The CO went down the line like an angry beaver going after anything not up to snuff. Looked me over with a cold eye, never said a word and moved on. Next Marine in line caused a major reaction. Seems he didn't like the way his shoes were spit shined. Made him take them off and threw them overboard. Did the same thing with his cover which wasn't right. All the while I was wondering what the hell I had got myself into.

They always wanted us to be inspection ready. I never minded, didn't take that much time to stay squared away. Not like there was much to do in our free time anyway.

Don

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In MARDET it was a correct UOD for whatever was scheduled. Creased, bloused and starched Utility uniform (OD green in my day, before camp). Often it was Dress Blues, had to be top notch correct. The 1st SGT would make you miserable if you weren't up to speed.

I reported abord in Naples and the next morning was a Dress Blues inspection. I was nervous being new. On an elevator while underway in the full sun. The CO went down the line like an angry beaver going after anything not up to snuff. Looked me over with a cold eye, never said a word and moved on. Next Marine in line caused a major reaction. Seems he didn't like the way his shoes were spit shined. Made him take them off and threw them overboard. Did the same thing with his cover which wasn't right. All the while I was wondering what the hell I had got myself into.

They always wanted us to be inspection ready. I never minded, didn't take that much time to stay squared away. Not like there was much to do in our free time anyway.

Don
    I really enjoyed reading books about old sailing ships including 2 years before the mashere's before the mask and forsters Hornblower novels.

One thing that was repeated over and over was that the sailors hated the sogers, because while the sailors were doing all of their daily work scrubbing tdecks, picking rope, mending sails, tarring everything, building crates, whatever their job was they were employed at it for 12 hours a day plus standing watch either 4 or 8 hours every night while the sogers sat around and did nothing all day long.
    Free time?
    Sogers = Soldiers
    I believe sailors also invented the term pikers because that was the main weapon weapon of the sogers during that time.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Heck, we had guys with Mohawks, the Capt. just said.. as long as it's gone before we pull into port.
    When the door closed on the E-3 sometimes the acceptable local uniform requirements relax a bit. Since the missions were measured in hours rather than months there is not time for Mohawks but once otimeon station you might see cowboy hats, baseball hats, various other morale tokens, even teddy bears sitting on top of the consoles of the mission crew.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    June 2006: Young USAF SMSgt KellyinAvon is stationed at Langley AFB, Virginia. SherylinAvon's cousin is getting married in Philadelphia (a Giants fan marrying an Eagles fan, rehearsal dinner was at a brewery, this was going to be a fun weekend!)

By this point (20 years in, didn't know I'd be retired a year later that this point) we owned no luggage. We had a bunch of B-4 bags (picture below.) The one in the picture is a newer one, most of ours were the older bluish-grey ones. We left Iceland in 1998 with the two kids and four B4 bags. Yes for the wedding in Philly we went and bought actual luggage.

Known as "mobility bags" when they are full of deployment stuff for mass issue upon deployment, some had cold weather gear, some had chemical warfare gear. There were A, B, C, and E bags IIRC.

B4 bags are just something you ended up with. I acquired "several" while closing the Radar Site in Rockville, Iceland. We had a bunch out there since there was at one time a bunch of chem warfare equipment there. Chems of course would never work in Iceland because of the wind, rain, and lack of ground cover. Everyone knew that, yet we had it anyway.

The first B4 I "acquired" was at K-2 Air Base, Taegu, ROK. These have a heavy-duty zipper, the pic below has the snap-flaps over the zipper snapped.

I was at the commercial airport in Taegu leaving the ROK the first time I snapped the snaps over the zipper. It's stenciled 51 SUPS/CWDE (51st Supply Squadron/Chemical Warfare Defense Equipment) followed by M0508 which I guess was someone's first letter of their last name and last four of their SSN. I just laughed and pressed. I never got around to stenciling STOLEN FROM to the bag. I spotted bags with the same stenciling, just different letter/numbers on civilian airport baggage carousels. "When were you at Osan?" was my usual question.

That was and still is my lucky bag. Went with me from the ROK back to the States, Iceland, Qatar, TDY to a crap-ton of different bases, and countless trips home to Indiana. It has been lost a few times, but it always found me.

It's in my truck with the tie-down straps and tarps now.

1668951862824.png

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    June 2006: Young USAF SMSgt KellyinAvon is stationed at Langley AFB, Virginia. SherylinAvon's cousin is getting married in Philadelphia (a Giants fan marrying an Eagles fan, rehearsal dinner was at a brewery, this was going to be a fun weekend!)

By this point (20 years in, didn't know I'd be retired a year later that this point) we owned no luggage. We had a bunch of B-4 bags (picture below.) The one in the picture is a newer one, most of ours were the older bluish-grey ones. We left Iceland in 1998 with the two kids and four B4 bags. Yes for the wedding in Philly we went and bought actual luggage.

Known as "mobility bags" when they are full of deployment stuff for mass issue upon deployment, some had cold weather gear, some had chemical warfare gear. There were A, B, C, and E bags IIRC.

B4 bags are just something you ended up with. I acquired "several" while closing the Radar Site in Rockville, Iceland. We had a bunch out there since there was at one time a bunch of chem warfare equipment there. Chems of course would never work in Iceland because of the wind, rain, and lack of ground cover. Everyone knew that, yet we had it anyway.

The first B4 I "acquired" was at K-2 Air Base, Taegu, ROK. These have a heavy-duty zipper, the pic below has the snap-flaps over the zipper snapped.

I was at the commercial airport in Taegu leaving the ROK the first time I snapped the snaps over the zipper. It's stenciled 51 SUPS/CWDE (51st Supply Squadron/Chemical Warfare Defense Equipment) followed by M0508 which I guess was someone's first letter of their last name and last four of their SSN. I just laughed and pressed. I never got around to stenciling STOLEN FROM to the bag. I spotted bags with the same stenciling, just different letter/numbers on civilian airport baggage carousels. "When were you at Osan?" was my usual question.

That was and still is my lucky bag. Went with me from the ROK back to the States, Iceland, Qatar, TDY to a crap-ton of different bases, and countless trips home to Indiana. It has been lost a few times, but it always found me.

It's in my truck with the tie-down straps and tarps now.

View attachment 237787
    For the doubters out there...

1668963387769.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Joined the Marines because I was tired of people telling me what to do!!

Don
    Both of my sons made that mistake, they thought MCRD Parris was a better option than living with dad.
    Myself, in the early spring of 1976 a circuit court judge gave me three options.
    I picked option three because the first two really sucked.
    Option three was enlist in the MC,
    a few weeks later I came to the conclusion that option two might have been a better choice.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Chems of course would never work in Iceland because of the wind, rain, and lack of ground cover. Everyone knew that, yet we had it anyway.

I once deployed to the Persian/Arabian Gulf with a complete set of Arctic cold-weather gear, including the Mickey Mouse boots, because the deployment order said so. I guess maybe there was a super secret plan to possibly redeploy us to Kyrgyzstan or something? It was certainly a PITA to haul around.

Top Bottom