Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    1661388620936.png
    So, I am on an Aircraft Carrier in the Marine Detachment, mid 1970's. The scene is 70 young Grunts, trained, pumped up and locked in a steel compartment with no room or privacy and bored stupid. Early every morning reveille happens and the lights go on in the MARDET. This song was popular among one group of Marines and would immediately be started at high volume from a boom box. This was in contrast to the Southern born Marines who were more interested in Country music. The trash talk, verbal abuse, flying objects and near fights were a regular occurrence. I was never involved, I am a Rock and Roll aficionado.

I always remember these scenes fondly when this song plays on the XM oldies channel.

Don

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Inspired by https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/all-things-woodworking.471746/post-9284117

On my 1st tour in the army I was company armor and one day I found a stack of 4 by 4 treated posts.

Being a supply man, scrounging of anything that you could was standard procedure.

I got my buddy and we carried them out back and I built a workbench for my arms room 4 by 4 legs, a 4 by 4 shelf underneath and a 4 by 4 top. I got a big heavy piece of canvas and put it over there to work bench top.

A couple of days later my 1st sergeant walks in and he says 2A Tom where did you get those 4 by 4s

I found them stacked out by the parking lot and I figured they were just laying there so I took them.

He told me that he had drawn them from battalion supply and he had a detail of replacing the posts on one of the ranges. I had to come up with posts to replace the ones on the range.

I don't recall where I dug up the ugly beat up posts that the infantrymen used to replace those posts but somehow I did it.

But in the end I wound up with a really sturdy workbench for my arms room.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A land based runway probably looks like it's pitching up-and-down to a Carrier pilot.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you have heard this one before, don't stop me. I want to hear it again ;)

Spring 1993: young USAF SSgt KellyinAvon is at Taegu Air Base, RoK. The USAF aircraft had left Taegu in 1991, most thought the base was closed (I did when I got the assignment!) Taegu was a War Reserve Materiel (WRM) base, organizationally it was Detachment 1 of the 51st Colocated Operating Base Support Squadron (COBSS, also referred to as Confused Often By Simple ****) There was a total of 27 Blue-Suiters at Taegu on a ROKAF (Republic Of Korea Air Force) Air Base with five fighter squadrons (three F-4Ds, two F-5Fs) and the depot for F-4s.

Springtime, when a young GI's fancy turns to, softball! We had a field across the street from where we lived. 220' fences but they were 16' high in left and 24' high in right (didn't see many clear the fence.) No shortage of ROKAF units with young troops (ROK has conscription, with conscripts you have a lot bigger force) who loved playing softball so we played a lot. Our bench tended to be thin to none (leave, TDYs, injuries, not everyone plays softball) but we always put 10 on the field.

This was a pretty new field, one of the 27 USAF troops was a Civil Engineers Electrician so he got the lights working on the field. Lighted fields are rare on bases, it was great. We had a scorers box (2 stories high behind home plate, this was nicer than any field on a base I've ever seen) and a PA system.

The day the lights and PA were getting back into operational status I was going through a huge pile of keys trying to unlock the door under the scorer's box. Low and behold I found it. Opened the door, dark inside but I could something in the middle of the room.

We'd found some pretty strange stuff on the "somewhat closed" base including the Liquid Oxygen Converter from Clark AB, Philippines (volcano blew in 91) that weighed 24K pounds, a lot full of electrical transformers with PCBs, and the shipping paperwork to send the compressed gas cylinders to Clark AB. They were printed the day the volcano blew, still sitting there with all the compressed gas cylinders. Also found three huge tri-wall boxes full of 3-hole punches.

Back to the softball field: what was under the scorer's box? A duffel bag and three large cardboard boxes. The duffel bag was full of softball gloves. Left-handed softball gloves. The three boxes? Thankfully these were new, it was three large boxes of... urinalysis specimen cups.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So you're saying I picked the right recruiter??

Not sure what that thing is, but we didn't have one. We had a Filipino dude who scooped the ice cream when we had it. We also had real silverware... I can't help it I worked at the same place, and ate at the same DFAC (Dining Facility) as the DCFACC (Deputy Combined Forces Air Component Commander, AKA the 2-Star.)

Top Bottom