Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A lot of my stories are from my time in either the ROK or Iceland. Overseas, things are a bit more interesting than Stateside ;)

1993: young USAF SSgt KellyinAvon was a Supply Troop at K-2 Air Base in Taegu, ROK. This was a rather unique experience, there was only 27 Air Force on the base at that time. This was a ROKAF (South Korean Air Force) base that had 5 Fighter Squadrons (F-4Ds and F-5Fs) and the ROKAF F-4 depot was there. It seems like the ROKAF had something like 5,000 Military and civilians on that base.

Generally on a Military base the speed limit is enforced all to hell. No USAF Cops, the ROKAF Cops had no jurisdiction over us.

ROKAF Cops drove old Jeeps. We had 1988 Chevy Cheyenne 1500s with short-beds and IIRC 350 CI V-8s. OD green, a few of the 500 War Reserve Materiel (WRM) vehicles weren't in storage and we drove the wheels off of them.

Perimeter road (the road found on all Air Bases that goes around, you guessed it, the perimeter of the base) on K-2 was 1.5 miles around to the main gate from where we were located. The speed limit on perimeter road was 40 KPH (about 25 MPH.)

I can't remember why I was in such a hurry one day, but that day I passed a ROKAF Cop Jeep on perimeter road doing 120K.

I was 28 and going to live forever. Dang I miss those days.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just saw a post on FB, which of course I can't find now, showing a picture of a prefab building, and it asked if anyone remembered being in "temporary " buildings decades after they were built.
    I laughed.
    My first barracks in boot camp were the overflow barracks, built in WWII.
    4 decades.

And then I thought about it, my boot camp was in the 80s.
    And now it's. .. 4 decades.

Sigh

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Just saw a post on FB, which of course I can't find now, showing a picture of a prefab building, and it asked if anyone remembered being in "temporary " buildings decades after they were built.
    I laughed.
    4 decades.

Sigh
    Funny thing, they are probably still using those buildings.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I laughed.
    4 decades.

Sigh
    When I was in college in the early '70s, married student housing at Iowa State was in old WWII era military housing. Im guessing it was set up either during the war, or immediately after to handle the GI Bill married students.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I'll never forget that night. Laying lost in the jungle of VN. Raining cats and dogs, it was the monsoon season. All I had was my M2 because my M16 would jam all the time. I couldn't sleep because Lady Hanoi was playing Jimi Hendrix 'The Wind Cries Mary' over and over. I remember hearing someone walking. I saw her. She was a beautiful woman NAKED. She crawled under my tarp with me and then I WOKE UP :bash:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I laughed.
    4 decades.

Sigh
    Went TD one summer before college to San Diego. I was a USMC Sgt entering an enlisted commissioning program. We were to be billeted on a Navy base. Drove by these really nice new barracks, I was looking forward to some comfort after living out of my seabag for 4 years as Infantry. The NCO driving us stopped in front of some old WW2 barracks with a yellow "Do Not Enter - Unsafe" sign on the hatch, pulled the sign off and said "Here you go!".

Don

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Went TD one summer before college to San Diego. I was a USMC Sgt entering an enlisted commissioning program. We were to be billeted on a Navy base. Drove by these really nice new barracks, I was looking forward to some comfort after living out of my seabag for 4 years as Infantry. The NCO driving us stopped in front of some old WW2 barracks with a yellow "Do Not Enter - Unsafe" sign on the hatch, pulled the sign off and said "Here you go!".

Don
    Asbestos or really substandard wiring? Wait San Diego, a big hole in the floor and really substandard wiring?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We were on convoy returning to Ft Bragg (soon to be Ft Milley) from Robin Sage and oneof our Duceand a halfs ,carrying a RATT, air brakes went out.

We did not Have enough armed MPs to leave to guard it so my jeep and an MP jeep were the rearguard behind burning brakes for 20 miles or so.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    247708452_4799188750112897_7952572931161509476_n.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Don't worry mom. It's perfectly safe."
    You hang up and think, there's a place in he'll for lying to your mom.
    But.. there's a worse place, for telling the truth.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    @2A_Tom !! The guy who rides the floor buffer, I think everyone knew that guy. IIRC that guy in my BMT Flight became a Crew Chief.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well, I later became a pretty well regarded Intelligence Analyst. Made E-6 in under 5 years.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Mountains are notoriously quiet.

Top Bottom