• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does Jordan have those amazing arabic dessert pastries, phyllo dough with honey and nuts and dates and cream cheese and more magic dough and more honey?

When I was in Saudi Arabia a few times there was a lot to complain about but the pastries were not one of them. They always had a bunch of them at the goat roasts, and those things were heavenly. You should convince mother-in-law to instruct daughter to bake a ton of them in honor of your promotion.

You're probably talking about Knafeh/Kunafeh/various English spellings, and yes, they are somewhat famous for it. My wife has made it before, though she buys the phyllo dough pre-made because it's a real bother to make. It's not cream cheese, though, it's a soft white cheese that's similar to mozzarella called Nabulsi. At least for the Palistine/Jordan version. The honey is more often simply syrup, but sometimes it is real honey or a combination, and sometimes with rose water.

http://habibahsweets.com/ is the one I've been to in Amman a few times. If you go to the site and see the 'downtown branch', that's the original. The picture somewhat undersells how small it is and the fact it's in an alley. It's a tiny little shop that you pay for your sweets at a guard shack outside and get tickets for your purchase, then file in a very tight customer area, hand your tickets over the counter to get your sweets, and file back out and then eat in the alley or take it with you. It's the original one and the old king of Jordan visited it, declared it the best Knafeh in Jordan, and then the owner explodes in popularity. The other sites are modern and kind of have a Baskin-Robbins sort of vibe, but he leaves the original one open because of the history and it remains very popular. There's always a line, or at least every time I've been there's a line.

*MIL confirmed Nabulsi is the correct cheese, and you have to soak it in water for 2 days to get the salt out before using it.*

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I got promoted yesterday after the waterfall trip. I'm now addressed as "mum", the rough cultural equivalent of "my boy" vs "son", a more prideful/affectionate address and indicates the same level of "son-ness" as birth or official adoption vs marriage into the family.

She's told the story to at least 3 family members this morning on the phone so my elevation is known throughout the realms. I feel like I've been knighted, only it's cooler. And it comes with cookies.

I'm helping cook this morning. By helping I mean fetching things, lifting things, tasting for sufficient salt levels, and generally staying out of the way otherwise. There's a giant pot of D'wali (a sort of stuffed grape leaves) merrily bubbling away on my stove now.

I've read your stories in this thread with interest.
    Bravo ..... you've earned your elevation !

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You're probably talking about Knafeh/Kunafeh/various English spellings, and yes, they are somewhat famous for it. My wife has made it before, though she buys the phyllo dough pre-made because it's a real bother to make. It's not cream cheese, though, it's a soft white cheese that's similar to mozzarella called Nabulsi. At least for the Palistine/Jordan version. The honey is more often simply syrup, but sometimes it is real honey or a combination, and sometimes with rose water.

http://habibahsweets.com/ is the one I've been to in Amman a few times. If you go to the site and see the 'downtown branch', that's the original. The picture somewhat undersells how small it is and the fact it's in an alley. It's a tiny little shop that you pay for your sweets at a guard shack outside and get tickets for your purchase, then file in a very tight customer area, hand your tickets over the counter to get your sweets, and file back out and then eat in the alley or take it with you. It's the original one and the old king of Jordan visited it, declared it the best Knafeh in Jordan, and then the owner explodes in popularity. The other sites are modern and kind of have a Baskin-Robbins sort of vibe, but he leaves the original one open because of the history and it remains very popular. There's always a line, or at least every time I've been there's a line.

*MIL confirmed Nabulsi is the correct cheese, and you have to soak it in water for 2 days to get the salt out before using it.*

tumblr_mnku8yylYq1rkvl19o1_400.gif

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Chai isn't overly strong. It's tea, milk, sugar or honey, and a combination of spices. Cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, anise, and probably some others I'm forgetting.
    Yeah, I usually drink mine plain occasionally with a bit of sugar or honey and/or lemon. Unless it's iced, then a good bit more sugar usually. Same with coffee, I drink it black unless it's iced then it gets cream and sugar. But with coffee or tea I like to taste it, not just have hot brown water. An older aunt liked tea, but she would only let the bag steep for maybe a minute and reuse it for 4 cups or so. I usually go a 5 minute or so steep. But she grew up during the great depression. She knew waste not, want not by heart. She recently celebrated her 100th birthday. I swear they were trying to kill her, they threw a surprise party for her at her church. The look on her face when she came in the door was priceless.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Today's adventure was Apple Works down by Trafalgar. She got to see a lot more farmland and has decided Indiana has the best farm land in America. Some hills but not too much hills. No mountains. Lots of green.

For those unfamilar with Apple Works, it's a small orchard with a nice set of onsite attractions. A very pretty pond with small waterfall/fountain, lots of flowers, and a small walking path with benches. A covered picnic area is nearby, as is a small stage and fire ring for evening entertainment. There is a small petting zoo with a pony, a couple of alpacas, some goats, and a pen of turkeys and a pen of chickens. MIL was a little nervous about feeding the alpacas but got the hang of it the second go. She really liked the goats but wanted nothing to do with the pony except to look at him. Even after we demonstrated he was safe to feed she wasn't sure about him.

She sampled some apples and I bought her a small bag, some corn, and some peaches. We sat by the water for a bit and she spotted a tiny snake. Maybe 3" long, a little black snake with a yellow ring. I assured her he wasn't dangerous but she was visibly apprehensive so I stood up and shuffle-stomped his way to run him off. He go? Yes, he went. She took a stick and stirred the leaves and mulch near her feet to make sure there were no more, but she was a trooper about it and sat and enjoyed the place for a bit longer.

She's taking a nap now. I was a bit worried as she normally only sleeps an hour or two in the afternoon, but my son said he heard her wake up and talk on the phone for a bit, so I guess she must not have slept well last night.

My wife made Z'atar this morning with her, which is a spice/herb mix that is used on lots of things. This morning it was used on freshly baked flat bread with some olive oil and sumac and haloumi cheese.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After devouring a delicious salad with tomatoes from the garden, I had to pop in and say to make sure she has some awesome fresh Indiana garden 'maters before she leaves. Heavenly.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This past week has included the Indy Zoo, Northwest Park in Greenwood, and Tuttle Orchard as well as just some general farm land touring. She picked a few apples at Tuttle and was somewhat amazed to see apples on the ground. I told her they probably pick them up once the tourists leave, but she was afraid they would be wasted. Indy Zoo was fun, I learned that the Arabic word for elephant is also slang for a fat person. "Elephant encounters" have a different meaning, I suppose.

Today's it, though, as we have to take her to the airport in a bit. Hopefully she remains in good health and returns soon.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm guessing that she isn't flying out via Ft. Wayne airport so you won't be stopping here on the way to or back.

Happy you had fun with her.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm guessing that she isn't flying out via Ft. Wayne airport so you won't be stopping here on the way to or back.

Happy you had fun with her.

No, she got a plane you sit in instead of a plane you sit on.

I had a blast. I'm pretty bummed she's gone, TBH. I almost need a feel-better doughnut but I'm already carb'd up from her visit so I'll suffer on without it.

I'll buy her a ticket any time she wants to come back. She can fly into Chicago direct and we can drive and pick her up so she doesn't have to change planes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Her oldest son in CA is a sneaky sneaky boy. She told him she wanted to go back to Jordan in a month or two. It turns out her original ticket home was for today, as she was originally coming here a few weeks earlier but we rescheduled due to my on call rotation. He just told my wife he "could only change it for a ticket in December" that is conveiently just before her visa expires. Mom's gonna be mad at him but what to do...as we all take turns pretending to believe him. Turns out I'm not the only one trying to kidnap her. :D

So he invited us out and we'll probably go sometime before she leaves and split the time between visiting them and going out on our own adventure.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    But she has already been to Cali. Now that she has gotten a taste of Indiana she can't want to go back there, even for her son.

Just explain to her how much she has missed with the short stay here. I would have you give me her number but the loss in communication between the two of us might ruin your chances.

She needs to go south to see the vegetation there. Explain what kudzu is to her and visit Georgia. If she wants to see the water just head north to Michigan.

Come on man, think of the food if nothing else.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But she has already been to Cali. Now that she has gotten a taste of Indiana she can't want to go back there, even for her son.

Just explain to her how much she has missed with the short stay here. I would have you give me her number but the loss in communication between the two of us might ruin your chances.

She needs to go south to see the vegetation there. Explain what kudzu is to her and visit Georgia. If she wants to see the water just head north to Michigan.

Come on man, think of the food if nothing else.

GA may be a little far, but she likes spicy food so Nashville Hot chicken....

Top Bottom