• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just found out that a Micro center is coming to indy this morning, not sure when opening date is but its going to be located on 86th street. This is going to great as Fry's electronics left a need. Address is:

5702 E 86th St
    Indianapolis, IN 46250

ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    This will be in the building where Gander Mountain used to be. I had heard this was coming to Indy and was just looking this morning to see if it was open yet. Everything I have found says "Opening Summer 2023". Pictures on Google Maps show they have a "Now Hiring" banner hanging on the front of the store.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Sure, now that I'm no longer a hardware geek we get one of the best computer stores around... :(

Loved it when I lived in MN and could go there whenever they had great CPU/mobo deals.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was in the Indy store just a few weeks before they announced they were ceasing operations and it was pretty sad. I liked that place and was sad to see them close.
    Yeah. it was a sad decline. They tried to switch to a consignment model where distributors would send them stuff to sell and they'd pay them after the inventory sold. As you could see by the empty shelves the last 12 months or so that didnt work out so well. (nobody would send them free :poop: to sell)

So do we have a solid start date for MC? Ive been seeing the same vague posts for months.

ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    I received an email on Tuesday that they are now open. Anyone been there yet?
    d923daa4b3e7d9785913017aa70d8d52.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The new Micro Center just opened in Castleton.

I like what I see, fantastic inventory. All new stuff nothing refurbished. Lots and lots of parts; cables, adapters, converters, etc.. motherboards, and hard drives galore.

And unlike Fry’s, no appliances or tinker toys.

If you’re into IT gadgets, go, while the grand opening sale is still going on there’s some good deals to be had.

I needed another external hard drive so I could image my system to it before I upgrade. Grabbed a $35 one terabyte USB drive. I need a new MoBo but haven’t saved up enough yet. They have a bundled motherboard with CPU, memory and motherboard, 16 gig ram +3.7 GHz Ryzen for $299 in a micro ATX.

Plus, they have raspberry pi and pico stuff, GPIO, boards, cables, etc.
    All kinds of stuff you might be needing on the fly and don’t want to wait for shipping.

Edit: I had to type this on my phone while my PC is busy imaging and prep for an upgrade of the O/S.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I like what I see, fantastic inventory. All new stuff nothing refurbished. Lots and lots of parts; cables, adapters, converters, etc.. motherboards, and hard drives galore.

If you’re into IT gadgets, go, while the grand opening sale is still going on there’s some good deals to be had.

I needed another external hard drive so I could image my system to it before I upgrade. Grabbed a $35 one terabyte USB drive. I need a new MoBo but haven’t saved up enough yet. They have a bundled motherboard with CPU, memory and motherboard, 16 gig ram +3.7 GHz Ryzen for $299 in a micro ATX.

All kinds of stuff you might be needing on the fly and don’t want to wait for shipping.
    Its literally Fry's Part Deaux. I saw a lot of the same obscure brands in the tools and accessories that Fry's used to have. Same weird energy drinks, thumb drives, microfiber towels, etc. It was like a freakin flashback.

They clearly are using the same distributors.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Its literally Fry's Part Deaux. I saw a lot of the same obscure brands in the tools and accessories that Fry's used to have. Same weird energy drinks, thumb drives, microfiber towels, etc. It was like a freakin flashback.

They clearly are using the same distributors.
    It’s still good to have nearby. Since Fries has been gone, as a tech hobbyist, I miss being able to run out and grab a chunk of Proto board or shrink tube nearby home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It’s still good to have nearby. Since Fries has been gone, as a tech hobbyist, I miss being able to run out and grab a chunk of Proto board or shrink tube nearby home.
    Oh yeah. It did kinda come off as a negative. Which it wasnt.

Though after 3 years of online shopping, I found all the help rather annoying. (especially the "let me put a sticker on that" even though I already had it in my hand when I approached to ask for something else I couldnt find. Oh well, first world problems) Like the one guy as I was trying to find the exact case fan I needed in a sea of poorly merchandized fans. He came up and asked if I needed any help and I said I was fine. Then he proceeded to stand there and talk fans with me like you would sports teams. "Those are good ones. I prefer x brand because they are super quiet." I literally couldnt concentrate with him staring at me and talking to me so I had to break contact and come back to the aisle later when he wasnt around.

Still glad they are here.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Edit: I had to type this on my phone while my PC is busy imaging and prep for an upgrade of the O/S.

They're well known for good deals on things like CPU+Mobo combos. I was tickled when I saw there was one where my stepson lived in Ohio and my new computer build from a couple of years ago had all the parts purchased there. Great store IMO.

Oh yeah. It did kinda come off as a negative. Which it wasnt.

Though after 3 years of online shopping, I found all the help rather annoying. (especially the "let me put a sticker on that" even though I already had it in my hand when I approached to ask for something else I couldnt find. Oh well, first world problems) Like the one guy as I was trying to find the exact case fan I needed in a sea of poorly merchandized fans. He came up and asked if I needed any help and I said I was fine. Then he proceeded to stand there and talk fans with me like you would sports teams. "Those are good ones. I prefer x brand because they are super quiet." I literally couldnt concentrate with him staring at me and talking to me so I had to break contact and come back to the aisle later when he wasnt around.

Still glad they are here.

Don't worry, the staff acting that way will calm down. They're new employees at this point and are still fresh from training. When I've visited established stores in MN and OH, they weren't that obnoxious. Though I will say I had a really nice discussion on video cards with one of the staff members that let me bring out my inner geek for the first time in years. Was actually pretty enjoyable... ;)

Top Bottom