• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It would be nice if school zero tolerance policy is applied equally well to real threats as to chewing a pop tart into the shape of a gun. I have five-year-old twins at home. My guns are locked up, even though there’s no law that says they have to be. I’ve gotten some training, even though there’s no law that says there has to be. I believe in freedom but with freedom comes responsibility.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    What about the 'parent' whose kid is out running the streets and carjacking innocent people and their parents have no idea where they are or who they are with

I'll buy into your theory when those people start being charged for their children's crimes
    That's not negligence. That's just bad parenting. There's a difference.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    What about the 'parent' whose kid is out running the streets and carjacking innocent people and their parents have no idea where they are or who they are with

I'll buy into your theory when those people start being charged for their children's crimes
    Should the parents be responsible for what their kids are out doing?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Should the parents be responsible for what their kids are out doing?
    That is a deep rabbit hole. And opinions/mileage will vary.
    But depending on what where and to whom I think parents should be held accountable. Depending. Vandalism......yes, fully responsible.
    The statement about the 5 year old snatching a steak knife and going after someone throws up some flags. That kid probably tortured pets and insects. Was just mean. Is that something mom and dad should know......???
    If the school is aware and makes the parents aware I think yes. If the school fails to take action, then some blame is on them. These people are supposed to be responsible for the kids safety while in school. Putting these nuts in among them is never going to end well.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Regarding charging the parents with what they got, I think it is a stretch. Some will say 15 is too young and immature to shoot guns (since he can't legally "own" them) but most of us in this group probably don't subscribe to that. Did the parents know before Monday of the shooting that the teen was thinking of that, that is where the burden of proof is in my opinion.

So far what I have read is that the teen was searching for ammo on the internet during school, red flag but not that bad. Did the teen have prior firearms handling? If so, that might change things. Did the teen put out behavior that the gun should've been locked up prior to the searching for ammo, that would weigh into the verdict for me. The teen recorded a video the night before the shooting but I haven't read if it was posted anywhere or just stored on the recording device. If the parents were aware of the recording prior to the shooting, that might add some to if I think the parents are guilty. IF they didn't and the teen exhibited no prior issues, I'm not sure how they are guilty.

Why the teen didn't have the backpack searched and the kid kicked out of school for at least a day is beyond me, that is where the school screwed up. Since Michigan has no gun storage law and if the gun was stored in the parents room, unless the parents gave the gun tot he kid to do the deed, the gun was stolen without the parents knowledge and they shouldn't be guilty of their current charges.

Should they be charged with something else, I don't know. IF they are found guilty of the current charges, that is going down a slippery slope and won't be good in the long run.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    That is a deep rabbit hole. And opinions/mileage will vary.
    Well I guess I will just stand on the other side and say I’m old fashioned and believe I am responsible for my kid’s actions when they are still living at home.
    Hmmmm…maybe that’s why things are the way they are because parents aren’t held responsible. Just a wild idea I came up with.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Regarding charging the parents with what they got, I think it is a stretch. Some will say 15 is too young and immature to shoot guns (since he can't legally "own" them) but most of us in this group probably don't subscribe to that. Did the parents know before Monday of the shooting that the teen was thinking of that, that is where the burden of proof is in my opinion. So far what I have read is that the teen was searching for ammo on the internet during school, red flag but not that bad. Did the teen have prior firearms handling? If so, that might change things. Did the teen put out behavior that the gun should've been locked up prior to the searching for ammo, that would weigh into the verdict for me. The teen recorded a video the night before the shooting but I haven't read if it was posted anywhere or just stored on the recording device. If the parents were aware of the recording prior to the shooting, that might add some to if I think the parents are guilty. IF they didn't and the teen exhibited no prior issues, I'm not sure how they are guilty. Why the teen didn't have the backpack searched and the kid kicked out of school for at least a day is beyond me, that is where the school screwed up. Since Michigan has no gun storage law and if the gun was stored in the parents room, unless the parents gave the gun tot he kid to do the deed, the gun was stolen without the parents knowledge and they shouldn't be guilty of their current charges. Should they be charged with something else, I don't know. IF they are found guilty of the current charges, that is going down a slippery slope and won't be good in the long run.
    This was a great post, but for the love of God man, hit Enter once in awhile and make some paragraphs. :): If Mom was right, my eyes may be permanently crossed!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It would be nice if school zero tolerance policy is applied equally well to real threats as to chewing a pop tart into the shape of a gun. I have five-year-old twins at home. My guns are locked up, even though there’s no law that says they have to be. I’ve gotten some training, even though there’s no law that says there has to be. I believe in freedom but with freedom comes responsibility.

If a kid makes a pop tart into a gun, his family should be investigated.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Since Michigan has no gun storage law and if the gun was stored in the parents room, unless the parents gave the gun tot he kid to do the deed, the gun was stolen without the parents knowledge and they shouldn't be guilty of their current charges.
    One key factor though... it was the kids gun. The dad bought the gun for the 15 year old kid as a Christmas present (straw purchase). Kid went on social media with the gun to show off his new Christmas present. Mom went on social media to say they were going to the range to try out the kids new Christmas present. This is where some of the negligence comes into play.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    One key factor though... it was the kids gun. The dad bought the gun for the 15 year old kid as a Christmas present (straw purchase). Kid went on social media with the gun to show off his new Christmas present. Mom went on social media to say they were going to the range to try out the kids new Christmas present. This is where some of the negligence comes into play.
    Gifting someone a firearm is not a straw purchase.

Scooped by Mike

Top Bottom