• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It will be interesting to see what facts actually come out.

Guilt clearly falls on the kid pulling the trigger.

Mom and Dad buying a gun is concerning. Lots of unknowns here but you don’t give keys to a brand new Corvette to a 16 year old. Securely store the gun until you’ve spent some range time together and observed the kids maturity with the gun, including his mental attitude.

The school cannot deny it did not know there was a problem. Did they follow procedures or hide the problem they did not want to deal with? In just about every one of these school shooter cases all you had to do was open the yearbook to the page titled “likely school shooter” and this kid’s picture would be there.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From experience the schools are in a bind. I saw students who should be in a mental health facility of some sort constantly being sent back to class because of threats from the parents. The schools are funded by the state on how many are there and graduate. Cost them a lot of $ if one is sent home. Getting a student expelled is a big deal and only happened once in the last 4 years. They are taken back into class after spending time in jail, even some felonies.
    The administration I dealt with was very good with the students. But they spent 80% of the time dealing with 2% of the kids.

Don
    The Pareto Principle (80-20) on steroids it sounds like. Also sounds about right.

I know where we were 40 years ago. Actually I don't, I know what a 1A K-12 in one building school with cornfields on three sides was like 40 years ago. I thought I knew what the 6A school about a mile from here was like 6-10 years ago. A couple conversations with Coach told me I didn't.

Where are we in another 20 years? It ain't good.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    T
    It will be interesting to see what facts actually come out.

Guilt clearly falls on the kid pulling the trigger.

Mom and Dad buying a gun is concerning. Lots of unknowns here but you don’t give keys to a brand new Corvette to a 16 year old. Securely store the gun until you’ve spent some range time together and observed the kids maturity with the gun, including his mental attitude.

The school cannot deny it did not know there was a problem. Did they follow procedures or hide the problem they did not want to deal with? In just about every one of these school shooter cases all you had to do was open the yearbook to the page titled “likely school shooter” and this kid’s picture would be there.
    Yes the parents bought the kids thr gun as a gift. The gun, however, was in a storage container in the parents bedroom. Doubt it was a locked container.

The kid took the gun from parents bedroom without them knowing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    T

Yes the parents bought the kids thr gun as a gift. The gun, however, was in a storage container in the parents bedroom. Doubt it was a locked container.

The kid took the gun from parents bedroom without them knowing.
    "BUT".........as a parent we are supposed to have an inkling of what the kids are doing and try to stay up with the thinking.
    We stayed on top of this when our kids were in school. After that it was a waste of time as they were out and gone most of the time. But still, with all the problems junior displayed they had to be in the deepest form of denial. And look what that got all of those involved.

So many steps of fail here. Sooooo many. And like most all of these incidents' people were aware of issues but did nothing to actually stop the progression.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    "BUT".........as a parent we are supposed to have an inkling of what the kids are doing and try to stay up with the thinking.
    We stayed on top of this when our kids were in school. After that it was a waste of time as they were out and gone most of the time. But still, with all the problems junior displayed they had to be in the deepest form of denial. And look what that got all of those involved.

So many steps of fail here. Sooooo many. And like most all of these incidents' people were aware of issues but did nothing to actually stop the progression.
    Would you support yourself being charged and imprisoned if your child took a knife out of the kitchen drawer and stabbed someone to death in school with it? After all, you should have seen it coming and stopped it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This whole bucket of s*** always boils over into the same rank stench, the liberal softies stopped the segregation of the mentally ill from society, and when that fail blows up, instead of recognizing what has happened the default is to take others rights and freedoms.

It is incomprehensible that they so object to any infringement of the mentally ill’s freedoms while having no concern at all about taking your freedoms…

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Would you support yourself being charged and imprisoned if your child took a knife out of the kitchen drawer and stabbed someone to death in school with it? After all, you should have seen it coming and stopped it.
    That doesn’t even mimic the way this has played out.

He was a dependent right? That means he is under full authority of the parents end of story. They bought a gun and did not take the proper procedure in making sure that the gun was in there complete control.

If you want to play what if then:

What if a 5 year old child gets a gun from daddy’s night stand and shoots his 4 year brother? Whose responsible? I hope you can answer that like a proper gun owner should be able to. A dependent is a dependent and that’s what this 15 year old kid was. This crap is affecting all of the gun owners in a bad way and it’s time to put the heat on parents who act clueless. Don’t be clueless! and you won’t be sitting in Jail.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Your scenr
    That doesn’t even mimic the way this has played out.

He was a dependent right? That means he is under full authority of the parents end of story. They bought a gun and did not take the proper procedure in making sure that the gun was in there complete control.

If you want to play what if then:

What if a 5 year old child gets a gun from daddy’s night stand and shoots his 4 year brother? Whose responsible? I hope you can answer that like a proper gun owner should be able to. A dependent is a dependent and that’s what this 15 year old kid was. This crap is affecting all of the gun owners in a bad way and it’s time to put the heat on parents who act clueless. Don’t be clueless! and you won’t be sitting in Jail.
    Your scenario has occured before.

And from what I can gather the parent has not been charged in that shooting or the one that occured in NWI in 2020 ???.

What caught my attention what the DA saying something to the effect of we are mad, we are angry, ... basically the DA is going off emotions and charging everyone and everything she can blame for this.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    If my negligence, carelessness, and stupidity contributed to the death of another by the hands of my child, then I would expect to be charged. And I would deserve it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What caught my attention what the DA saying something to the effect of we are mad, we are angry, ... basically the DA is going off emotions and charging everyone and everything she can blame for this.
    That is what a lot are doing. How many kids do the things this one did and never do anything bad. There is a big rush to judgement here based totally on the feeling that someone has to be responsible.

Everyone should take a deep breath and wait for details before they start talking about how all guns need to be locked up.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If my negligence, carelessness, and stupidity contributed to the death of another by the hands of my child, then I would expect to be charged. And I would deserve it.
    What is gained by putting a parent in jail in that circumstance? The child already has to live with being responsible for the death of a sibling, and now you want to add losing a parent as well?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    What is gained by putting a parent in jail in that circumstance? The child already has to live with being responsible for the death of a sibling, and now you want to add losing a parent as well?
    Justice??

That argument could be used for the shooter as well. “This poor kid has to live the rest of his life with guilt. Hasn’t he suffered enough?” Nope. Doesn’t hold up.

If a parent left their 2 year old at home to go out drinking with friends, and the kid had an accident and died, wouldn’t you expect charges of negligence to be filed? Or is losing a child punishment enough?

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I don’t know what all schools are like but I do know about the one my wife works at. (My kids go there as well)
    Their was a very similar situation last year in which a kid had drawn pictures and was actively showing it and saying he wanted to shoot students.
    The SRO was immediately involved as well as both principals. The kid was taken to the office and mother called. Back pack was searched as well as his locker.
    The mother broke down crying saying she could no longer handle the kid at home, and the administration made the decision that he was to be removed from the building and banned from the property. He was admitted to a psychiatric facility and as far as I know has been in some type of mental care since. My wife is then given instructions to not let these people in the building. The only way into the school is through a steel door that is locked and operated on a lock from my wife’s desk. The only way she will unlock it is Verification of who you are by camera and speaker.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I think this will be an issue.

Because it is.

My better half and I had occassion to have dinner the other evening with some folks. At one point, the discussion turned to this event.

Most of the folks there are hooked on "social media" and "tell a vision" news.

Their entire discussion was around guns and the parents....none had even considered the negligence of the state school until we brought it up.

Media and state seem to always have their narrative ready to go.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Justice??

That argument could be used for the shooter as well. “This poor kid has to live the rest of his life with guilt. Hasn’t he suffered enough?” Nope. Doesn’t hold up.

If a parent left their 2 year old at home to go out drinking with friends, and the kid had an accident and died, wouldn’t you expect charges of negligence to be filed? Or is losing a child punishment enough?
    What about the 'parent' whose kid is out running the streets and carjacking innocent people and their parents have no idea where they are or who they are with

I'll buy into your theory when those people start being charged for their children's crimes

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is what a lot are doing. How many kids do the things this one did and never do anything bad. There is a big rush to judgement here based totally on the feeling that someone has to be responsible.

Everyone should take a deep breath and wait for details before they start talking about how all guns need to be locked up.
    Agreed but in the light of what we know the gun should have never come into play. Never. So, in that I hold dear old dad complicit to a point.

Top Bottom