• BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Parents charged in Michigan school shooting taken into custody in Detroit​

"A Detroit business owner spotted a car tied to the Crumbleys in his parking lot late Friday, Oakland County Undersheriff Michael McCabe said in a statement. A woman seen near the vehicle ran away when the business owner called 911, McCabe said. The couple was later located and arrested by Detroit police."

So did the Detroit business owner get the reward money?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is possibly the understatement of the year:

"This isn’t indicative of turning yourself in, hiding in a warehouse," White told reporters early Saturday.

Reactions: KG1

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’m not really clear about why the prosecutor keeps referring to the mom texting “Ethan, don’t do it”. That doesn’t seem damming to me. I know that’s just a tiny fraction of what is publicly known, but I’ve seen the prosecutor referring to it at least twice.

Yeah, I get that a lot was handled wrong by the two parents and the school, just weird that the prosecutor is so hung up on that one message.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I’m not really clear about why the prosecutor keeps referring to the mom texting “Ethan, don’t do it”. That doesn’t seem damming to me. I know that’s just a tiny fraction of what is publicly known, but I’ve seen the prosecutor referring to it at least twice.

Yeah, I get that a lot was handled wrong by the two parents and the school, just weird that the prosecutor is so hung up on that one message.
    I think in order to win a case against the parents, the prosecutor needs to establish that the parents knew that the kid had issues, and was homicidal. That one message seems to confirm that suspicion. If I heard that my kids' school had an active shooter, I wouldn't text my boys and tell them not to do it. I would be trying to contact them to make sure they are ok. The mom's first instinct wasn't to make sure her son was safe. Her first reaction was to assume he was the shooter. That changes all their previous behavior from ignorance to negligence. Heck, they were at the school previously in the day, and did nothing. That one text message says a whole lot.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think in order to win a case against the parents, the prosecutor needs to establish that the parents knew that the kid had issues, and was homicidal. That one message seems to confirm that suspicion. If I heard that my kids' school had an active shooter, I wouldn't text my boys and tell them not to do it. I would be trying to contact them to make sure they are ok. The mom's first instinct wasn't to make sure her son was safe. Her first reaction was to assume he was the shooter. That changes all their previous behavior from ignorance to negligence. Heck, they were at the school previously in the day, and did nothing. That one text message says a whole lot.
    That makes sense. I was assuming that the moms text was in response to the kid texting her that he was going to do something crazy.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sure, IF that message actually meant that in context. I'm sure a prosecutor wouldn't misrepresent something in the court of public opinion.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    School administration should be charged with negligence. If there were so many warning signs - enough to warrant a meeting with the parents - why was the kids locker not searched? Why was his backpack not searched? Sure, a lot of responsibility falls on the parents, but there was a lot of fail on the part o the school as well.
    Usually the consensus around here is its BS to search someone over assumptions? Right? And as the school doing something, well, they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. We all say “parents need to be parents”. Well here you go. It’s on them.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Usually the consensus around here is its BS to search someone over assumptions? Right? And as the school doing something, well, they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. We all say “parents need to be parents”. Well here you go. It’s on them.
    All true. But, the kid's locker isn't his property. School has the ability to search lockers at will. School could have asked parents to search the kids backpack when they were there earlier in the day. Who knows, maybe they did and the parents refused. That would be even more damning to the parents. The fact is, the threat was sufficient to make several kids stay home from school that day. The kid had essentially made enough of a threat to warrant calling the parents and ordering them to get him into counselling. I wouldn't call that just an assumption, but rather a credible threat. And yes, the parents are pieces of s***. Further verified by their actions after the fact.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To my thinking this whole event is extremely sad for everyone involved.

Are the parents responsible? Yes, but to what extent? They had been called in to the school (AFAIK) twice, and each time seemed to poopoo the warnings.

The principal did NOT kick the kid out right then and there on the second meeting. I am thinking that perhaps he should have said, "Your son is not allowed here until I get some letter from a mental health professional stating he is not a risk. I don't care what you don't want to do. Take him home NOW or have him arrested for trespass NOW. Your choice."

However, as to the parents, I recall a posting on here some time ago about a little girl that was suspended/kicked out for holding a pill in her hand for all of maybe 10 seconds, because the school had a stupid zero tolerance policy. Schools are well known to massively overreact to anything, thus poopooing isn't entirely out of line.

At the same time how many thousands of kids are passed because schools are afraid to get into fights with parents? When I was in high school there was a science teacher that refused to teach the theory of evolution in science class because he didn't want the hassle of dealing with upset parents. Today school administrators are on shoestring budgets and are probably deathly afraid of legal suits that will cost legal fees and bring about controversy.

The schools are in a no-win situation. Kick a kid out and get sued by the parents. Keep the kid and see what happens, and in 99.9% of cases nothing happens. Most of the time it IS just talk and ranting - except when it isn't.

What happens if a parent is warned their child has issues, then they rack up thousands of dollars in mental health fees, only to find out their child is a normal teenager and nothing happens? Does the school then reimburse them for calling it wrong?

Who here is a perfect parent? Who here knows a perfect parent? There are NONE. Every parent will have many strengths, some weaknesses, and maybe a blind spot or two. And their strengths, weaknesses, and blind spots may well differ depending upon which child they are dealing with! How many of us have seen other parents who will chop one kids hand off for even going near the cookie jar while another child gets away with pushing their sibling down the stairs? It happens.

I don't believe there is a good answer to any of this. The parents are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The school is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Legal costs are something to avoid. Mental health care and/or assessments can be financially devastating for many parents. It ain't cheap.

I don't think there is an obvious good answer for this situation. Perhaps it is best to charge them and let an impartial jury decide the parents fate. Perhaps that is inappropriate. I don't know.

I do believe we need to all talk, liberal and conservative, schools and parents, openly and honestly. Perhaps we just need to really start to have the discussion that appreciates all sides of concern. We won't get any perfect answers. There aren't any. But maybe, just maybe, we can come up with a better methodology on dealing with troubled kids than we have today.

Regards,

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All true. But, the kid's locker isn't his property. School has the ability to search lockers at will. School could have asked parents to search the kids backpack when they were there earlier in the day. Who knows, maybe they did and the parents refused. That would be even more damning to the parents. The fact is, the threat was sufficient to make several kids stay home from school that day. The kid had essentially made enough of a threat to warrant calling the parents and ordering them to get him into counselling. I wouldn't call that just an assumption, but rather a credible threat. And yes, the parents are pieces of s***. Further verified by their actions after the fact.
    The terrorists carry clear see through back packs per IPS mandate. All contents are visible. In these days of failed parenting, it has become necessary for this, I guess.
    Yes, this lands squarely on those alleged adults for most everything that has happened. I just cannot understand what they were thinking.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's pretty obvious that this kid had issues that the parents were somewhat aware of and they allegedly bought him a gun. C'mon man.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    From experience the schools are in a bind. I saw students who should be in a mental health facility of some sort constantly being sent back to class because of threats from the parents. The schools are funded by the state on how many are there and graduate. Cost them a lot of $ if one is sent home. Getting a student expelled is a big deal and only happened once in the last 4 years. They are taken back into class after spending time in jail, even some felonies.
    The administration I dealt with was very good with the students. But they spent 80% of the time dealing with 2% of the kids.

Don

Top Bottom