• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    1662428696829.png METROPOLITAN NAVY MODEL 1864 HISTORY In 1864, Colt's East Armory erupted into flames which destroyed all but two of its buildings. The event could not have happened at a worse time for the concern for America was embroiled in a Civil War and US government contracts were readily available. With the need for more and more guns for the war effort ever growing, the now-damaged Colt production lines needed assistance in keeping up with demand. As such, the Metropolitan Arms Company of New York stepped in to offer production of Colt revolver copies, giving rise the oft-forgotten species of revolver known simply as the "Metropolitan Navy Percussion". The Navy Percussion was, by all accounts, an exact copy of the original Colt Navy sidearms. The copies went as far as recreating the navy scene engravings depicted along the cylinder. Of course Metropolitan guns were marked with the Metropolitan Arms Company brand to differentiate between them and the Colt originals. The design carried everything Colt along with it including the beautiful walnut hand grip, ergonomically shaped for a firm hold, the under-barrel loading lever and think trigger unit and integrated trigger ring. As in the Colt models, the hammer had to be manually actuated by the user to fire each subsequent round in the chamber and was thusly of "single-action" in origin. Ammunition was a . 36 ball which followed the gunpowder into each chamber in a front-loading action. The contents of each chamber were then rammed home by managing the loading lever under the barrel - which needed to be pulled down to move the ramrod into each chamber mouth. The cylinder held six shots while the octagonal barrel measured 7. 5 inches in length.

All told, Metropolitan Navy Percussion pistols were mechanically every bit as good as the original Colt design they represented.

Source: https://tvd.im/small-arms/4618-metropolitan-navy-model-1864.html#hmenu-3

Source: https://tvd.im/small-arms/4618-metropolitan-navy-model-1864.html

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice! Metro's are an uncommon Colt copy of the era and yours's looks to be in very good shape!

360willys

Plinker
    Jan 14, 2019
    South Bend
    my goal someday is to find a civil war era pistol I can shoot for fun. I almost traded for one of these Manhatten navies a few weeks ago but he didn't send me more pictures to better figure condition.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom