• messenger bag

Votes: 2 25.0%
    • fanny pack

Votes: 3 37.5%
    • keep in tool bag

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • sling pack

Votes: 3 37.5%
    • ankle carry (keep in tool bag 75% of the time)

Votes: 1 12.5%
    • don't carry

• restart my life

• Total voters

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I am in IT(in Indiana). I may be crawling in the ceiling or a crawlspace. I carry iwb 99% of the time, when I am really worried about it I take it off & lock in my car. I of course can not carry into school if I have to visit, however I do have a pd client & they are ok with me carrying.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I am in IT(in Indiana). I may be crawling in the ceiling or a crawlspace. I carry iwb 99% of the time, when I am really worried about it I take it off & lock in my car. I of course can not carry into school if I have to visit, however I do have a pd client & they are ok with me carrying.
    How do you set up your tool belt? I'll post a pic of my most common set up and see if I can change something up

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The hammer drill is only as needed. Maybe 25% of the timethe rest is on me 90% of the time. +-a hand tool as needed. I've tried to minimize it, but wasting time going back and forth to grab a tool is a no go.

Attachments

• 20210418_114322.jpg
      20210418_114322.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 10
    • 20210418_114314.jpg
      20210418_114314.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 10

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fanny pack is going to be the closest in-control option without being too obvious.

I used to carry a full size in their large one.

Good luck finding one because it looks like they are discontinued.
    Two problems. First, they are out of fashion, hence conspicuous. Second, having used one while engaged in construction, it works while working standing upright. It will NOT work satisfactorily crawling in confined spaces.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Two problems. First, they are out of fashion, hence conspicuous. Second, having used one while engaged in construction, it works while working standing upright. It will NOT work satisfactorily crawling in confined spaces.
    Depends how old OP is. I see plenty of out of touch boomers wearing them.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    So, I definitely feel your pain on this one. I grew up doing construction and play amateur carpenter on the side for fun. I started with a leather belt and two leather pouches, then I upgraded to a nylon police duty belt (I had one left over :cool: ) and a nylon belt pad with the two leather pouches and rocked that for a few years.

I then upgraded a couple years ago to an ATLAS 46 Journeyman chest rig:

1618792457682.png

I had the original version that was solid 1000D cordura, before they upgraded to the mesh for better breathability.

Since then, I've actually changed it to a Phoenix chest rig, which is a little bit smaller and lighter:

1618792568594.png

I added a VTAC Brokos belt to my new rig, and it's super airy and light, and has plenty of possibility for customization. (I'll take some pics and throw them in hear when I get some time.)

(I know it may look a little "Timmy Tactical," but the guys that opened up the shop are former contract sewers for USGI gear from Eagle and other manufacturers. Not to mention, how great it is to get the weight up off your hips for long days of wearing a tool belt. And it helps protect your clothes.)

The reason that I insert this into the conversation is that:

1.) ATLAS 46 is a fantastic, American-made company (https://www.atlas46.com/index.html)
    2.) They offer a ton of products and some of them may be able to help you "reset" your work EDC and maybe allow you to integrate your EDC handgun into the mix.

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a gun off-duty, usually a G43X AIWB (sometimes a G19), and I can wear it under the chest rig without discomfort.

On a completely separate note: If you are working in Illinois, PLEASE make sure you are squared away to carry there. They DO NOT play around, especially in Chicago. The last thing you need is any undue trouble.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Is it possible to sew molle webbing on the inside of your tool bag? You could then keep the firearm from moving around and it'll always being in the same place when you need it. also could put multiple mags on it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I
    So, I definitely feel your pain on this one. I grew up doing construction and play amateur carpenter on the side for fun. I started with a leather belt and two leather pouches, then I upgraded to a nylon police duty belt (I had one left over :cool: ) and a nylon belt pad with the two leather pouches and rocked that for a few years.

I then upgraded a couple years ago to an ATLAS 46 Journeyman chest rig:

View attachment 136259

I had the original version that was solid 1000D cordura, before they upgraded to the mesh for better breathability.

Since then, I've actually changed it to a Phoenix chest rig, which is a little bit smaller and lighter:

View attachment 136260

I added a VTAC Brokos belt to my new rig, and it's super airy and light, and has plenty of possibility for customization. (I'll take some pics and throw them in hear when I get some time.)

(I know it may look a little "Timmy Tactical," but the guys that opened up the shop are former contract sewers for USGI gear from Eagle and other manufacturers. Not to mention, how great it is to get the weight up off your hips for long days of wearing a tool belt. And it helps protect your clothes.)

The reason that I insert this into the conversation is that:

1.) ATLAS 46 is a fantastic, American-made company (https://www.atlas46.com/index.html)
    2.) They offer a ton of products and some of them may be able to help you "reset" your work EDC and maybe allow you to integrate your EDC handgun into the mix.

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a gun off-duty, usually a G43X AIWB (sometimes a G19), and I can wear it under the chest rig without discomfort.

On a completely separate note: If you are working in Illinois, PLEASE make sure you are squared away to carry there. They DO NOT play around, especially in Chicago. The last thing you need is any undue trouble.
    I will check them out. I will admit, im not sure how I feel about it, but to potentially not die, ill give them a shot. If I was just working in the suburbs, or downtown on some construction site I wouldn't be sweating it. Getting tossed into the Southside on my own, sometimes after dark... hell no... I am the whitest looking Mexican around. A few things that these neighborhoods don't like... white folk, rich folk, country folk, cops and especially Mexicans.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I

I will check them out. I will admit, im not sure how I feel about it, but to potentially not die, ill give them a shot. If I was just working in the suburbs, or downtown on some construction site I wouldn't be sweating it. Getting tossed into the Southside on my own, sometimes after dark... hell no... I am the whitest looking Mexican around. A few things that these neighborhoods don't like... white folk, rich folk, country folk, cops and especially Mexicans.
    Same feelz brother. I've already had to create backup pans to my backup plans to get home when it gets spicy this summer. I work the hood, and already drive around in a big target. A lone white guy driving from point A to B has already been shown to be a risky endeavor.

As for your kit, I hope you do find a good solution. I'm not a big fan of off-body carry, but I definitely understand it's necessity sometimes. kickbacked already alluded to it and I wasn't far off from mentioning something similar... you might be able to rework a way to carry your tools in one of the newfangled tool backpacks and might be able to set up a carry area in one of those?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Same feelz brother. I've already had to create backup pans to my backup plans to get home when it gets spicy this summer. I work the hood, and already drive around in a big target. A lone white guy driving from point A to B has already been shown to be a risky endeavor.

As for your kit, I hope you do find a good solution. I'm not a big fan of off-body carry, but I definitely understand it's necessity sometimes. kickbacked already alluded to it and I wasn't far off from mentioning something similar... you might be able to rework a way to carry your tools in one of the newfangled tool backpacks and might be able to set up a carry area in one of those?
    I always keep my front "admin pocket" for a small med kit and my g43x. But since starting my own side gig, that's where I keep my actual admin stuff. I figured I could clean up my load out, and actually better prepare myself with a real med kit, full size gun, extra mags. And business wise as well. As of now, I write notes and do my estimates, research and accounting at home. With a messenger bag or something similar, I could carry my laptop, or atleast a tablet.

All I know is I don't want to be caught with my pants down this summer like last.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    This may be a good option for you if you want to carry the laptop and such too:

Good deal on it too.
    I was looking at the vertx, but for a get home trunk bag. I was looking for something to fit my folding bcm into, or buy a folding braced pistol. I haven't thought about this ad since starting this frustrating train of thought

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    how about a hydrapack? just a slim line pack. Would anyone think twice about a gun or valuables in one? Summer is coming up, and I am known as that guy that drinks 8-10 bottles of water a shift...

Top Bottom