• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Its a little odd all the other sports Afield safes seem to have series names but this seems to be called Fire Rated. Home Depot seems to have sold the same safe for 599 but it was shown to be about 50lbs heavier....

These are not the standard production models. They are often built for box stores for promotions like Black Friday. You’ll note the model number is SA5526MEL-L. Dunhams also has special production models. If you look at the specs they usually have minor down grades in production. Maybe it’s just the bolts on the door are 1” and not 1-1/4”, the metal is a gauge thinner. Just small tweaks but they matter to some.
    I’ve purchased one from Menards and one from Dunham’s. Both were BF specials. Both were listed as 30 gun. One came with a door organizer (Dunham’s). One came with 2 (Menards) access keys. But compared to the “higher priced” Sports Afield safes at both stores there were minor differences. But not enough to deter purchase as it is what it is, a budget conscious purchase.

30 guns? With a lot of creativity you can but you have to remove some shelves.

Key pad issues? None from mine. They twist off to access the manual key option if battery/pad fails or you forget passcode.

The weight is under 300 lbs. so easily handled compared to 500+ lbs safe.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    These are not the standard production models. They are often built for box stores for promotions like Black Friday. You’ll note the model number is SA5526MEL-L. Dunhams also has special production models. If you look at the specs they usually have minor down grades in production. Maybe it’s just the bolts on the door are 1” and not 1-1/4”, the metal is a gauge thinner. Just small tweaks but they matter to some.
    I’ve purchased one from Menards and one from Dunham’s. Both were BF specials. Both were listed as 30 gun. One came with a door organizer (Dunham’s). One came with 2 (Menards) access keys. But compared to the “higher priced” Sports Afield safes at both stores there were minor differences. But not enough to deter purchase as it is what it is, a budget conscious purchase.

30 guns? With a lot of creativity you can but you have to remove some shelves.

Key pad issues? None from mine. They twist off to access the manual key option if battery/pad fails or you forget passcode.

The weight is under 300 lbs. so easily handled compared to 500+ lbs safe.

Thanks for the clarification

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Certainly some protection, and the price is bangin'. Doesn't seem you could go hellish wrong, even if you just kept it for secondary safe or ammo safe, IMO.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    When looking at menards they had another sports afield safe for 499 that was a 1 inches wider 4 inches taller and 6 inches deeper 50lbs heavier and only rated for 24 guns. For me that was a better bargain for an extra 120 bucks. That sale safe price wise really just falls in line with other safes for price vs size vs weight. Wait for the next 11 percent rebate and its only 70 bucks more than the black friday safe

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Just to throw my $.02 in, I picked up their 20 gun earlier in the year. This seems like a great deal. Obviously, it’s only enough security to keep honest people out. But I’ve been happy with mine so far.

The advertised capacity is for traditional firearms stacked next to each other with no accessories. Think rifle with no scope or shotgun with traditional stock. An AR will easily take up 2-3 slots because of pistol grip and optics.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have one similar to this I bought at Tractor Supply and I've had no issues with it.

A while back I took all my weapons out of the safe and put my ammo in it...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    For my desired use, I think I'll get one. Thanks for all the replies!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have the 36 gun version for this from a BF sale years ago. For what it is, it's worked well and I a haven't had an issue with the electronic lock (knock on wood).

I think mine is defective, though. Every time I go to get a rifle out of it, no matter which rifle it is, it's always the one in the very back.

sgthud

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Fishers
    I bought this safe last year and it does what I want it to do. I took out the shelves and reconfigured it for my need to hold all my pistols, short builds, and pricey accessories. Currently it houses 15 small builds/rifles, 6 pistols, and multiple accessories...just got to be creative. All the big boys are in the bigger safe.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Not a bad idea. At market prices I've got more value in ammo than guns right now.

On September 1, 1988; Sir Mix-a-Lot released "Hip Hop Soldier" In it he claimed to be an ammo collector not a dumb gun buyer. Of course the only rap I liked off the album was "Buttermilk Bisquits (Keep On Square Dancin')". That rap was funny.

wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    Bought one at Rural King on Friday that is very similar that was a magnum. It will do what I want which is storage space thats fire resistant for 30 minutes. Disappointed in the tightness of the door fit when closed. Going to have to add another layer of gasket to get the tight fit. It's regularly 399.99. For the money it will do what I want. No way you can get get 40 long guns in it. Maybe 25 if you hold your breath.

acshelwr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Arcadia
    I bought one of these recently and pleased with it, but definately not much space for long guns.  Did anyone else have trouble resetting the combination?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    262 lbs! Must be pretty light gauge steel. Better than a wood cabinet, but barely. The door alone of my "24 gun" safe weighs almost that much. The safe is 600 lbs empty. Nearly all of our rifles are scoped which cuts the rated capacity in half.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Yeah, not wanting to put a 609 lb safe in the 5th wheel.
    Did you get the safe last year?

Perfect size for the space I have available, plus I have some Menards rebate vouchers just sitting in the drawer.

I’m worried about stock. Should I be in line at 6:00AM, or did they have a good quantity, so I can roll in at about 8:00AM and avoid the rush?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did you get the safe last year?

Perfect size for the space I have available, plus I have some Menards rebate vouchers just sitting in the drawer.

I’m worried about stock. Should I be in line at 6:00AM, or did they have a good quantity, so I can roll in at about 8:00AM and avoid the rush?
    Is it even on sale this year?

Top Bottom