• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    TCCC is great but there’s a lot of it that’s way outside the scope of a regular joe. It’s derived from the military. The mass hemorrhage parts of it are good for the civilian world but that’s about it. Something between Stop the bleed and TCCC would be ideal but I don’t know what that woukd be.

It is..until it isn’t.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Contact Keary Miller of ITTS down in Louisville. Retired PJ - he was the one Indiana DHS hired a few years back to put on med courses for Indiana officers.

Also, NRAEMT offers a civilian-focused version of TCCC called TECC.

Finally, Lone Star Medics offer a good course.

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    I have some classes in the works for 2021. I will be dropping our 2021 schedule in the next few weeks.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I attended MEDICAL 1 & 2 from the Warrior Poet Society down in GA last month. It was a total blast and I learned a lot. The instructor was a great guy, I'd highly recommend getting him up here if you can.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Although I don't believe that is what was posted, I am up for a Widerness First Responder class. If there was some way to quickly regain my EMT certification, I would also be up for a Wilderness EMT class. At one time there was a gentleman named Jim Floyd who taught them. I believe he was originally associated with St. Vincent but later with MESH.

WFR is far better for a civilian than EMT. You get more useful skills/knowledge without the ambulance operations portion or skills requiring specialized equipment. EMT is best suited for people who plan to work as such. I think WFR should be a required High School class. (I am an EMT Primary Instructor)

As a former volunteer EMT, high school biology and health teacher, with 24 years experience in all, and with 5 years as an instructor, I concur!
    While teaching in GA, the Red Cross Basic First Aid and CPR certifications were required as a part of their high school health coursework, and I ended up being the instructor for that as well! All good stuff...sometimes, one just has to know the basics of the ABC's and how to stop blood loss!

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I think that "the patriot nurse" is having a class in indy in like august 21'. Around that time if I remember correctly. I have heard good things about the course, never been myself though.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    As promised....here is the link to WFR class in March 2021. Please contact Mitch @ IU Outdoors for questions.

https://v2.aitapps-s.iu.edu/AIT_INl...414.878876062.1608253282-737123687.1606150508

Mitch McCune (mbmccune@iu.edu)
    He/ Him/ His
    Academic Coordinator
    Indiana Memorial Union - Outdoor Adventures
    On the Indigenous Lands of the Miami, Delaware, Potawatomi, and Shawnee

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this type of medical/WFR course that would be material and budget friendly for parents to attend with children (ages 10 and up-ish)? WFR is appealing, but not budget friendly for me for a family of 5. Trying to get all of is educated on a limited budget. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Just my 2 cents: for a course as fast-paced and in depth as the Warrior Poet MED 1 and 2, I wouldn't suggest bringing kids. Maybe a teenager.

But the STOP THE BLEED courses are free. And even then, I would maybe only bring one kid per accompanying adult, to make sure they focus. Make sure they're going to take it seriously before any money down on training.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Other than a basic class, like the Red Cross First Aid class, one needs to be very careful about the liability and duties with many of the other courses.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom