• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    That's a drive for us, no doubt. But for 10lbs of bacon, I'd be interested.
    Sometimes it’s just ends and pieces, then the next time it’s full strips. We picked up 4 packages of eckrich smoked sausage for $10 a whole turkey at $.99 a pound and fresh cut butterfly pork chops And 2 small packs of frozen pork ribs at $5 each. It can be hit or miss, but the ads are usually good on details and a quick call if you have questions. Friday is the best day to miss the crowd.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Doing half a steer this week from a fellow gun nut. Probably more than we need, but we also have a freeze dryer and dehydrators. Plus four freezers.
    We have a half on order from Primecut 41. They can do beef within 3 weeks of your order. They cut for their retail store first and then fill freezer beef orders after that each week based on what they have available for butcher. Many of the other places I’ve called are 9 months out minimum.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We buy our bulk meat at Johns poultry just south of 465 and 37/69. Last week we put up bacon and a 20 lb ribeye. Bacon comes in 15 and 30 pound boxes. Last week thirty pound box was 3.15 a pound. If I remember correctly 8.?? A pound. We have used them for years, they sell mostly to restaurants but do private sales as well. FYI they only take cash.
    Wow, I must have been by that place hundreds of times but never knew it was there. Do they only sell large amounts or do they also sell smaller portions? We don't have a lot of freezer space.

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    I don’t like most vegetables, so canning doesn’t do much good for me, but I didn’t know meat could be canned (at home)

Might have to look up how it’s done.
    It looks like barf in a jar, honestly. I canned up some deer a couple years ago to try it out and it was honestly the most tender deer I've ever eaten. Use a pressure canner and follow the directions, super easy.

I raw packed mine and added some Montreal Steak seasoning and it was awesome.

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    For SHTF, you can't beat canning your own meat.

Got a good weekly meat sale? Post it up !
    If you're ever out so the southeast the IGA in Brookville usually has some kind of deal going on. They had a sale on Thu and Fri (didn't see this post until Sunday, sorry) and I picked up some chicken quarters, 4pk for $4.xx and some T-bones for like $10 a lb. But they did have whole ribeyes for like $5 something a pound.

I'll keep an eye out now that I know this thread is up.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Doing half a steer this week from a fellow gun nut. Probably more than we need, but we also have a freeze dryer and dehydrators. Plus four freezers.
    Of the mentioned methods to preserve, which is your favorite? Obviously freezer is easiest. Do you have any preferred method? Which method costs the least/most and which produces the best results?

Sorry for all the questions. My very first feeder steer is coming due here at the end of august and I really need to try and wrap my head around how to best preserve the meat. This has been a very expensive process, but worth it to have beef I know was raised ethically and had a good (albeit short) life.

This steer is a real A-hole sometimes, so I think he’s taking it easy on me knowing that I have a tendency to become attached to animals. This one…I can’t wait until he’s gone.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Wow, I must have been by that place hundreds of times but never knew it was there. Do they only sell large amounts or do they also sell smaller portions? We don't have a lot of freezer space.
    Large amounts, But if you have someone to split it with can help with lack of space of course. That’s what we do on some items like the ribeye and bacon.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Of the mentioned methods to preserve, which is your favorite? Obviously freezer is easiest. Do you have any preferred method? Which method costs the least/most and which produces the best results?

Sorry for all the questions. My very first feeder steer is coming due here at the end of august and I really need to try and wrap my head around how to best preserve the meat. This has been a very expensive process, but worth it to have beef I know was raised ethically and had a good (albeit short) life.

This steer is a real A-hole sometimes, so I think he’s taking it easy on me knowing that I have a tendency to become attached to animals. This one…I can’t wait until he’s gone.
    Freezing is the best obviously. I love jerky though so we’ll make tons of it. The freeze dried is usually as ingredients in other stuff though I will do cubes and ground by itself to add to stuff. We do two storage methods for freeze dried: short term bulk I take to work or hiking where I know within 6-12 months it’ll be eaten, and individual meals in mylar that are for longer term storage. A tenth of the cost of Mountain House and I know what is in it.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Kaiser's in Butler. Check their FB page. Specials through out the week but common on Thursdays. Thursday also tends to be the day they have beer specials, but not always. In the last 2 months we have got Chicken wings by the 20# case, ground beef by the 10# tube, Sausages in 15# cases, Canadian bacon sticks, boneless/skinless chicke breast by the 20# case.... No set schedule or rotation, just what ever they find but would rebuy every one of these again. Not worth the drive for just an item or two but have picked up stuff for family and filled freezers so bulk buuing is the way to go.

Just looked this up for the link and they have wings again. Last time these were very meaty!

gsxr219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    NWI
    Got our first 1/2 cow at the start of this year. After paying the farmer & butcher, came out to a little under $1.90 per lb.

Add in the cost of a 14 cu ft freezer this time around also

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    For quality beef, Martin's in Waukarusa is a great place. Buying a 1/4 or a 1/2 always at near market price. As of last year,most butcher shops in northern Indiana were at least a year out. My farmer had to book a year in advance for this season.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I know this is no help to you central and southern boys,but i will throw it out here. They usually have chick breast 40 lbs. 1.50 lb. Or less.I have got thighs for .59 cents lb.I would not buy my beef here,but I will buy other things. It is just into Michigan n/w of South Bend.

Last edited:

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I know this is no help to you central and southern boys,but i will throw it out here. They usually have chick breast 40 lbs. 1.50 lb. Or less.I have got thighs for .59 cents lb.I would not buy my beef here,but I will buy other things. It is just into Michigan n/w of South Bend.

I like their Premium Beef Hamburger, better than Kroger or Meijer. Their Premium#1 Bacon is also a favorite in our house.

I just thawed out the last bag of chicken leg 1/4's this past week that we got there . About time to make a trip up north.

gsxr219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    NWI

Yes, $1.90 out the door was great. Maybe I got the friends and family price.

I've got bulk bacon from Lowery's and was also happy with it.

Top Bottom