• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’m looking for some deals to fill up my freezer! I’ve considered doing an 1/8th beef, but I think it would be cheaper to stock up when things hit sales. I’ll be following this one.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I don’t like most vegetables, so canning doesn’t do much good for me, but I didn’t know meat could be canned (at home)

Might have to look up how it’s done.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'll just add this. Dad just bought 8 feeder calves at a whopping $10,500. Typically $500 +/- a head. It's about to get salty. Farmer/locker v store.
    Screenshot_20230503-213557_Calculator.jpg

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    334   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I don’t like most vegetables, so canning doesn’t do much good for me, but I didn’t know meat could be canned (at home)

Might have to look up how it’s done.
    Canned meat is best done at home. I pickle veggies too, canned corn during the summer, asparagus in late spring. Jams with seasonal fruit, and the Peach Truck…. Google it.

But grocery meats on sale are the king. Years keeping pork in a jar, chicken and beef… It’s a canner’s paradise if you do it right.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    All cattle don’t weigh the same. You can buy a smaller breed and get all the cuts, with smaller joints. (Roasts). Less burger than an Angus/ Hereford cross. Less left overs. Better for empty nesters, DINKS, small family. Plus not raised on corporate farms with chemical overload. Better meat all around.

Look at Dexters, Mini Hereford. Red Polls, Highlands. Great meat, less cost.

Ballstaters dad bought feeders, that means they have been vaxed at least once, maybe twice depending on where, how he bought. They came from a calf producer, vaxed at 4-6 months. If he doesn’t feed them to finish they will sell to a finisher. If he feeds to finish he will have to vax them again at least one more time, possibly two. If he sells, they go through the sale barn again, that is another vax. Or two, depending on where and how again.

Please don’t see this as dumping on Ballstaters dad, just attempting to help folks get a good deal and good beef.

The pink squishy stuff you buy at……..never mind. Good luck to everybody.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    All cattle don’t weigh the same. You can buy a smaller breed and get all the cuts, with smaller joints. (Roasts). Less burger than an Angus/ Hereford cross. Less left overs. Better for empty nesters, DINKS, small family. Plus not raised on corporate farms with chemical overload. Better meat all around.

Look at Dexters, Mini Hereford. Red Polls, Highlands. Great meat, less cost.

Ballstaters dad bought feeders, that means they have been vaxed at least once, maybe twice depending on where, how he bought. They came from a calf producer, vaxed at 4-6 months. If he doesn’t feed them to finish they will sell to a finisher. If he feeds to finish he will have to vax them again at least one more time, possibly two. If he sells, they go through the sale barn again, that is another vax. Or two, depending on where and how again.

Please don’t see this as dumping on Ballstaters dad, just attempting to help folks get a good deal and good beef.

The pink squishy stuff you buy at……..never mind. Good luck to everybody.
    All of those vaccines are optional though? I am no cattle rancher but I’ve raised 3 steers as feeders and they had no vaccinations and were perfectly healthy happy content cows up until their one bad day.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    All of those vaccines are optional though? I am no cattle rancher but I’ve raised 3 steers as feeders and they had no vaccinations and were perfectly healthy happy content cows up until their one bad day.
    Ya, but if you do it for a living it’s big time different. Even then you can get a wipe out infection due to fly‘s transmission of disease from a nearby infected heard. All sale barn cattle carry disease due to vax. (Fly‘s carry disease) Been there, lost two years calves.

(politely, steers ain’t cows) they were most likely vaxed when they were steered.

The heard that got me was two miles away. Sale barn cattle are the worst thing a homesteader can encounter. Modern cattle ranchers have killed it for common folk.

Your animals must have been on ground that never had a disease or they were vaccinated after the mother’s natural immunity wore off. (4-6 months).

Just a little heads up, if you raise a few more. Call out the vet n get them vaxed one time. At same time get them treated for parasites (worms) they will grow fatter n faster. Vet is cheap, big cattle outfits will wipe you out if they know you exist. You threaten them. Just my opinion and best of luck.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Ya, but if you do it for a living it’s big time different. Even then you can get a wipe out infection due to fly‘s transmission of disease from a nearby infected heard. All sale barn cattle carry disease due to vax. (Fly‘s carry disease) Been there, lost two years calves.

(politely, steers ain’t cows) they were most likely vaxed when they were steered.

The heard that got me was two miles away. Sale barn cattle are the worst thing a homesteader can encounter. Modern cattle ranchers have killed it for common folk.

Your animals must have been on ground that never had a disease or they were vaccinated after the mother’s natural immunity wore off. (4-6 months).

Just a little heads up, if you raise a few more. Call out the vet n get them vaxed one time. At same time get them treated for parasites (worms) they will grow fatter n faster. Vet is cheap, big cattle outfits will wipe you out if they know you exist. You threaten them. Just my opinion and best of luck.
    I acknowledge doing it BIG time is a different situation a lot more at risk. If I failed I had to go to the grocery store if someone doing it as main source of income fails they have to refinance the farm.

I can only go off a persons word I wasn’t there when they were steered. I did treat for worms I know from my pigs how much that will slow the growth and cause issues. I won’t be raising ANYMORE cattle too hard on fences and infrastructure. Sticking to pigs, sheep, rabbits, and poultry.

But i am on the lookout for a beef supplier now lol for most things venison is a fine replacement…. But sometimes a ribeye is needed.

No offense taken they are all cows to me, old habits and all that.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I acknowledge doing it BIG time is a different situation a lot more at risk. If I failed I had to go to the grocery store if someone doing it as main source of income fails they have to refinance the farm.

I can only go off a persons word I wasn’t there when they were steered. I did treat for worms I know from my pigs how much that will slow the growth and cause issues. I won’t be raising ANYMORE cattle too hard on fences and infrastructure. Sticking to pigs, sheep, rabbits, and poultry.

But i am on the lookout for a beef supplier now lol for most things venison is a fine replacement…. But sometimes a ribeye is needed.

No offense taken they are all cows to me, old habits and all that.

Got it. I would kill one today (almost killed him Monday) if the wife would go for it. That SOB has me run ragged. As it stands he won’t be ready for about 90 more days. Market price ~3.50 lb. Buyer pays the cut n wrap. I don’t know what Monon Meats charges for that. Grass fed, grain finished on this one. H*** if he gives me more grief I may run him into the trailer n haul his *** in any time I loose my temper. May be today, but I’ve got a Dr. Appt. at 3:00 pm. So not today at least.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Got it. I would kill one today (almost killed him Monday) if the wife would go for it. That SOB has me run ragged. As it stands he won’t be ready for about 90 more days. Market price ~3.50 lb. Buyer pays the cut n wrap. I don’t know what Monon Meats charges for that. Grass fed, grain finished on this one. H*** if he gives me more grief I may run him into the trailer n haul his *** in any time I loose my temper. May be today, but I’ve got a Dr. Appt. at 3:00 pm. So not today at least.

Always a trouble maker. Unfortunately for my animals (small) the trouble makers swing freely around here no worrying about the butcher appointment.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Always a trouble maker. Unfortunately for my animals (small) the trouble makers swing freely around here no worrying about the butcher appointment.
    If you happen to have an extra porker at some point let me know, if he’s alive. I’m always in the market.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    If you happen to have an extra porker at some point let me know, if he’s alive. I’m always in the market.
    We raise kune kunes so a bit of a specialty type pig we chose them because of temperament (easy for the kids to handle), size(can process them at home) grazing (input less grain) and how easy they are on infrastructure(not like the stupid cows lol).

But all that adds up to a smaller slower growing pig. A bonus to that is great marbling and a nice red meat. Just a little pricier since they stick around longer and breeding stock is substantially more $

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Facebook search “kingman red & white”, kingman, indiana. They have weekly sales and usually once a month they have 10lbs of bacon, side of ribeye they will cut to your liking. Case of rolled sausage sales, ham steaks frozen, ribs and so on. You have to look each week to not miss the good stuff. It may be a drive for many.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    That's a drive for us, no doubt. But for 10lbs of bacon, I'd be interested.
    We buy our bulk meat at Johns poultry just south of 465 and 37/69. Last week we put up bacon and a 20 lb ribeye. Bacon comes in 15 and 30 pound boxes. Last week thirty pound box was 3.15 a pound. If I remember correctly 8.?? a pound for the ribeye. We have used them for years, they sell mostly to restaurants but do private sales as well. FYI they only take cash.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom