• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Mr. McCain dismissed the ad as a sideshow — but was quick to affirm his support for the 8-foot-tall talking bird and star of public broadcasting's "Sesame Street."

"It may show a paucity of ideas and ways to criticize Mitt Romney," Mr. McCain said on NBC's "Today." "The one thing President Obama can't run on is his record, so Big Bird, I guess, is a fun thing to talk about. I love Big Bird. I'm for an earmark for Big Bird."

McCain mocks Obama's Big Bird attack ad - Washington Times

Emphasis is mine. What a friggin joke. I'm waiting on Lindsey Graham to weigh on this.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I know if I were running for president I would want a giant, yellow, sexually ambiguous, half-crocked looking, monstrous "bird" promoting me!:laugh:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Romney blew the Tea Party dog whistle by mentioning PBS. That one really gets the far right wingers riled up for some reason. I think the Obama campaign has responded well. Big Bird has been on a few programs speaking about PBS and the educational programming it provides. Other PBS notables have come out as well. Axing Sesame Street isn't going to flip an undecided. Besides, it simply won't happen...just a dog whistle folks.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The OP was about McCain's propensity to spend money in exchange for votes. I assumed the bolded text and my mention of adding emphasis would be a dead giveway.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Going after .012% of the budget shows just where Obamney's coming from. He wants to increase the Pentagon's already bloated budget and probably start another war, but his priority is going after the low hanging fruit of PBS? Yeah, you guys chose wisely.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Going after .012% of the budget shows just where Obamney's coming from. He wants to increase the Pentagon's already bloated budget and probably start another war, but his priority is going after the low hanging fruit of PBS? Yeah, you guys chose wisely.

"B]probably start another war[/B] " Is that just an opinion or do you have any thing to back it up?

As far as the rest goes, little things add up.

And cutting the defense in light of things heating up in the Middle East and Europe falling apart would seem pretty stupid to me.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    527832_533386060024185_1328007525_n.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I find it HILLLLL-LARIOUS that the only thing team obama can retort with from the debate is freakin' Big Bird. :):

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    To me, it wasn't the amount of budget that we will save by axing PBS. It represents an attitude that if it is valuable, needed and viable, it should stand on it's own in the market place, PBS or other government subsidized programs like it.

Refreshing to my ears!

Like The Learning Channel, right? It has gone from educational programming about space exploration, medicine, and the values of science to Honey Boo Boo after it was privatized. NASA used to beam video of space flight into classrooms. Now we have DC Cupcake Wars. This isn't a screed against capitalism or the free market, but it is obvious that it cannot handle every human endeavor.

LGF Pages - How the Privatization of NASA's The Learning Channel devolved into a for-profit channel pushing Honey Boo Boo

Smart doesn't sell. Should it then be ignored?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

Once again you choose to attack Romney over an issue that makes no sense. This post if anything is about McCain and Obama. We know your so called libertarian views won't allow you to accept Romney, but criticizing him for cutting the budget is as lame as the ad.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    It occurs to me that the only time PBS has really good programming is when they are using to get funds from the public during their fundraisers. So, maybe they'll have more fund raisers and better programming. Heck I could stand to look at Laura Savini more often.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Smart doesn't sell. Should it then be ignored?

The answer to this question is 'No'.

I think what you are really asking, though is:

Smart doesn't sell. Should it then be government subsidized?

The answer, similarly, is 'No'.

People will not suddenly become smarter because the government makes information available to them. People who want to learn will prioritize it financially. My shelves full of books are proof of this.

ETA: I'm not defending Romney on this. While I agree that PBS should not be government subsidized, I think it was pretty stupid to even bring it up. Like our previous discussion on public libraries, this should be on the bottom of the list of things to address.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My point in originally posting this was that if current republican leadership isn't even willing to cut whack big bird, how can we expect them to get behind any meaningful cuts to those programs and departments that make up the lion's share of our budget?

Top Bottom