• singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Working long hours kills.

Friend had a heart attack, she worked hard, incredibly stressful job. She's back and falling into the same pattern. Hard to break something that's been engrained into you, I guess.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If you want to destroy a creative and valuable worker make them work long hours. Work them until their brain turns to mush.

I did it for five and a half years at my old job and finally decided enough was enough the beginning of February.

No amount of money is worth everything you give up by working extended hours and every Saturday .

I used to work 10 plus hour days often without a break. Day after day it was just too much.

I can definitely see why people stroke out or have heart attacks. The long hours induce increased cortisol levels because often times we are worrying about other obligations that must be dealt with once we finally leave work.

Often fulfilling these obligations requires giving up precious sleep time to do.

I think any individual who insist others work unrealistic hours should have to work the same hours too.

There are some local manufacturers who require people to work 12-hour days 6-7 days a week. There is nothing healthy about that. It's a recipe for disaster.

The philosophy is that if the workers work longer hours it will require fewer of them and therefore save money on benefits. The problem with that theory is no one is calculating the cost of the astronomical turnover.

We are people, we are not machines. We need to rest and recuperate.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This is a huge problem nowadays that employers are taking full advantage of. Most employers seem to feel that they own you, especially if you are a salaried employee. It's made worse by the always connected era of laptops with VPN connections and cell phones. I've worked with plenty of people who felt like they needed at least 60 hours to get their jobs done and those were light weeks. I don't put up with that crap. I've worked massive hours when it was needed for some emergency, or something like that when it made sense, but working 60+ hours on a regular basis is bull :poop: . I've worked in my career field (or adjacent anyway) for 25+ years and have mostly worked a standard 40 hour work week, while watching people all around me work massive amounts of OT. I think the fix is to force companies to only use salaried positions for top level execs. If all your workers are hourly and OT costs time and a half, you'll see a lot more people working 40 hour work weeks.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If work wasnt killing you slowly could you even consider it work?

My Dad's philosophy, handed down to me, is that we should work to live, not live to work. I've been extremely fortunate to find a career that I've mostly enjoyed and have only had to put in no more than 40 hour work weeks most of the time. There are times when I don't even feel like I'm working, but I definitely am and I'm fulfilling a needed role in doing my job. I think we need work, to have a sense of purpose, but too many have made this the end all be all for their lives.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    My Dad's philosophy, handed down to me, is that we should work to live, not live to work. I've been extremely fortunate to find a career that I've mostly enjoyed and have only had to put in no more than 40 hour work weeks most of the time. There are times when I don't even feel like I'm working, but I definitely am and I'm fulfilling a needed role in doing my job. I think we need work, to have a sense of purpose, but too many have made this the end all be all for their lives.
    Thats a solid philosophy. Im working now so i can live later. I live now but not as much as id like and im tired most of the time lol.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    On the flip side, I know plenty of people who retire and waste away to nothing just sitting watching TV.

Blue pig on here and myself dad is 82 and works a 30-40 hr job and side hustles too. Helps me farm, antique lawnmowers, tractor shows, he has a vice and workbench in his garage takes stuff apart for scrap at night.
    He doesn’t work fast anymore but he never stops, always tinkering with something.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thats a solid philosophy. Im working now so i can live later. I live now but not as much as id like and im tired most of the time lol.

Understandable. A lot of us do that when we're young. In my 20's, I worked two jobs while attending college in order to get me where I am today. It was necessary as no one job would pay me what I needed to live and of course the college was to be able to be considered for higher paying jobs so I could go to just one job. This is one of the reasons I am against the whole $15/hr minimum wage / living wage BS.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Those that keep track of retirement benefits have studies that show the affects of heavy overtime, rotating shifts, working the Sabbath, taking cash instead of vacations, and also retirement age.

At the car plant, I was always amazed at how many people kept working years after they could retire. And many of them were overtime hounds. They kept working and being wasteful with money until they got sick and then we chipped in for funeral flowers a few months latter. The men that got their time in by their mid 50's and retired stayed healthy through their 70's.

One man made a big point out of telling me how stupid I was to leave the plant. He had 4 ex wives and two sons in prison, but drove a new Viper to work. He was not my hero either. But the companies love guys like that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have choices.
    We make them.
    Many get caught up in the wages/health care/401K koolaide.
    That is a choice. We all know what goes with that and way to many people get addicted to it.

Not me. I put in enough time to become vested in my retirement and took it as soon as possible.
    I have multiple revenue streams from my time in the field that I keep working in. At 71.
    A body at rest tends to stay there. The longer it rests the harder it is to move it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Understandable. A lot of us do that when we're young. In my 20's, I worked two jobs while attending college in order to get me where I am today. It was necessary as no one job would pay me what I needed to live and of course the college was to be able to be considered for higher paying jobs so I could go to just one job. This is one of the reasons I am against the whole $15/hr minimum wage / living wage BS.
    WT these lazy ****s dont want to sacrifice the time and energy to achieve anything. Give them the living wage and they are Wendy's drive through people till the end. No umph. None. Wastes of oxygen.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    People have to have something to occupy their time. It doesn't have to be work, but it has to be something meaningful. The majority of us are goal oriented and just sitting around not getting anything done isn't fulfilling enough. Not to mention being completely sedentary is bad for your health.

WT these lazy ****s dont want to sacrifice the time and energy to achieve anything. Give them the living wage and they are Wendy's drive through people till the end. No umph. None. Wastes of oxygen.

Yep. That's what irritates me. You should not earn a living wage flipping burgers at McDonalds. It should be an entry level position you do until you can do something better. You can work up the ladder into management and make a decent living, you can work multiple jobs, or you can get education or training to work a career that earns you a decent salary. A 2 year degree at a local community college can get you better than $15 an hour and allow for advancement opportunities that will allow you to move to better and better pay and responsibility. Or you can go the route of training to be a plumber, electrician or any number of skilled jobs that don't necessarily need college. You do have to get off your fat lazy a$$ to do it though, instead of expecting someone to just hand you money :ranton:

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Sounds about right, im 26, no collage, and im head honcho in the machine shop at my work. 7 days a week most weeks but its probably 75% mental with programming CNC machines and 25% physical setting stuff up. My goal is to be semi retired at 45 and just do the things that i enjoy to make money.

Im also against the living wage thing. Theres a reason i make what i make, its because i know how to do things. I also know how to flip burgers/wash dishes/stock shelves and that is not worthy of $15/hr. All these kids raised by the Karens of the world that feel entitled to $15/hr just for getting off their lazy a**es are the problem.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yep. That's what irritates me. You should not earn a living wage flipping burgers at McDonalds. It should be an entry level position you do until you can do something better. You can work up the ladder into management and make a decent living, you can work multiple jobs, or you can get education or training to work a career that earns you a decent salary. A 2 year degree at a local community college can get you better than $15 an hour and allow for advancement opportunities that will allow you to move to better and better pay and responsibility. Or you can go the route of training to be a plumber, electrician or any number of skilled jobs that don't necessarily need college. You do have to get off your fat lazy a$$ to do it though, instead of expecting someone to just hand you money :ranton:

You are right. And that used to happen naturally with no government intervention.

in the late 60's, minimum wage jobs were not careers either. You worked part time because that fit your life. By the time you were ready for full time employment, you had a couple of good references to put on the application.

The biggest difference I see is that back then, there were little factories all over the place. You might not get into a full career at that job either, but it was a way up, and you could make a living. Through a manufacturing job, you could increase your skill set, Maybe you worked into supervision, maybe you learned a trade at the factory. That gave you leverage for further improvements.

The whole "service and information age" only destroyed the path up the ladder. That even affects the college jobs. You don't need bean counters if you don't make anything to count, or engineers if you don't need anything designed.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You are right. And that used to happen naturally with no government intervention.

in the late 60's, minimum wage jobs were not careers either. You worked part time because that fit your life. By the time you were ready for full time employment, you had a couple of good references to put on the application.

The biggest difference I see is that back then, there were little factories all over the place. You might not get into a full career at that job either, but it was a way up, and you could make a living. Through a manufacturing job, you could increase your skill set, Maybe you worked into supervision, maybe you learned a trade at the factory. That gave you leverage for further improvements.

The whole "service and information age" only destroyed the path up the ladder. That even affects the college jobs. You don't need bean counters if you don't make anything to count, or engineers if you don't need anything designed.

True, but even in the service and information age, it's pretty easy to get an entry level job that you can work up to a career. Take the IT arena, a 2 year degree in IT, or while you're still in college can get your foot in the door for helpdesk work, which you can easily work for a couple years and advance if you know what you're doing. The same is true for Information Security, the field I work in. We've hired people with a 2 year degree and a desire to learn and do the job. They didn't have experience in the field, just a 2 year degree and desire to do the job. Some employers ask for a lot more, but it's still possible to find entry level jobs you can work up in, though it often will now require you to find a new employer every 2 - 3 years in order to advance.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom