• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr_kravmaga

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Aug 31, 2021
    Trafalgar
    I'm a new muzzleloader. I got some great advice from another INGO member here. I purchased some 370 grain maxi balls to load into my hawken. anyone have experience with these on deer? any recommendations will be appreciated.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My Renegade shot them ok. Liked the round ball better. They hit deer like a truck though. Play with your powder charges to see where your sweet spot is. Mine shot best with 80 grains ffg. 99 was what I hunted with though.

mr_kravmaga

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Aug 31, 2021
    Trafalgar
    My Renegade shot them ok. Liked the round ball better. They hit deer like a truck though. Play with your powder charges to see where your sweet spot is. Mine shot best with 80 grains ffg. 99 was what I hunted with though.
    99 grains of double f for a 370 or 340 grain maxi?

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    It's the most accurate out of my 1980 TC Renegade. Use 80 gr of loose powder. When we were younger, we'd shoot across the pond and cut down trees with it (open sights)

rhslover

Marksman
    Mar 6, 2012
    I've used them in both 50 and 54 cal in TC renegades. Penetration isn't an issue to say the least, they'll shoot through a deer pretty much regardless of shot angle. I use 90gr of fffg pyrodex (I'd rather use real black powder but can't find any) in my .54.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Maxiball in .50 cal is 370 grains and 90 gr FFg is a stout load.
    Maybe overkill.
    No big deal when younger.

Older now (more of a wimp).
    I run the 275gr Maxihunter in my .50 cal TC sidehammer (1 in 48 twist) and dropped to 90 gr equiv.
    Reason? Stock doesn't fit me and whacks my cheek at 100gr or if going heavier bullet.
    Don't need the abuse.

Top Bottom