• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Great day in the morning why aren't you shooting that thing (yet)?
    Seriously, that's lovely and 8x57 is one of the better cartridges mankind has ever concocted.
    You sir need to learn how to paper patch 8mm's!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    looks like a lovely old sported. The ribbed battle, double set triggers ad schnabel fore end make me thing it’s an original German gun. The follower looks to have the Eagle over swastika so it could have been a WWII gun, or could have had the follower replaced for whatever reason. the dovetail cutoutin the ru was most likely for the original rear sight, psoonily a multi blade flip sight, they were popular in that style. I’d guess the Lyman was a later install, once it got here in the states.
    as has been said, it’s a nice looking rifle and as long is the bore is clean and clear, I’d get some 8mm ammo and go shoot it!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The bore is perfect. As I said appears to be unfired. I don't think any markings were removed either.

Could be wrong about that but why remove marks from a gun that has never been fired? Or why remove marks at all?

Going to have to get a good magnifying glass and check out the thing that does look like it could be a German Eagle. Eyesight isn't good enough for me to see.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The bore is perfect. As I said appears to be unfired. I don't think any markings were removed either.

Could be wrong about that but why remove marks from a gun that has never been fired? Or why remove marks at all?

Going to have to get a good magnifying glass and check out the thing that does look like it could be a German Eagle. Eyesight isn't good enough for me to see.

Cant say for sure, but if it was a military action that was sporterized post war, it could be something about them not allowing Swastikas or just wanting to distance themselves from that. Or it could have been a rough, late war production model and they just smoothed it up and in the process washed out the markings so they decided to remove them.

Are there no markings on teh barrel at all? Caliber or makers marks? I’m really surprised that whoever did the work didn’t sign or mark is in some way. The ribbed barrel shows more of a professional rework than just your average home cut down and smooth out the wood type of deal that was done on a $19.95 surplus rifle available in the 60’s.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    One thing to remember here, German gunsmiths were not allowed to produce/modify guns in military calibers.

The American bases in Germany would have 'Rod and Gun Clubs' where you could place an order from a local 'smith' to make you a rifle to any specifications you would have for a price. Just post WWII the smiths were not allowed to make any new guns at all, so modification was the only means for them to support their families.

Unfortunately, over time these stories were lost and it became hard to know the foreign sportsters for the domestic.

Some of the 'exotic' sportsters are truly a sight to behold and always signed by the artist.

I am of the thought that this configuration is of European origin or at least someone who found a domestic smith to emulate it for them. Shooting isn't going to hurt it any and the peep proves it is a modification of a modification so 'unfired' would be difficult to authenticate and highly doubtful. Shoot it and give it the love it has been denied for decades. Being inherited makes it priceless to you and yours, so just keep it where it belongs and enjoy.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Cant say for sure, but if it was a military action that was sporterized post war, it could be something about them not allowing Swastikas or just wanting to distance themselves from that. Or it could have been a rough, late war production model and they just smoothed it up and in the process washed out the markings so they decided to remove them.

Are there no markings on teh barrel at all? Caliber or makers marks? I’m really surprised that whoever did the work didn’t sign or mark is in some way. The ribbed barrel shows more of a professional rework than just your average home cut down and smooth out the wood type of deal that was done on a $19.95 surplus rifle available in the 60’s.
    Cannot find any markings other than what is in the pictures. Nothing at all on the barrel.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    It was probably built from other Mauser parts to make a Sporter. I can tell you the follower was made by JP Sauer e37 accepted proof. A good friend of mine worked in a gun shop in the early 70s. The gentleman that owned it was also a gunsmith and would build Mauser rifles. He would buy your every run-of-the-mill didn't matter what code it was k98k. He didn't care if they were matching or not matching he would butcher the rifles he only wanted the actions to makes sporters. One day my buddy saw a really special k98k come through the door beautiful tiger stripe stock and a very early code S/42k these were made in 1934. That rifle was 100% all matching no way was he going to turn that into a Sporter out of those parts. He was able to buy that rifle for like $50 still owns to this day.

Top Bottom