• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I didn't realize I qualified as a Gen Xer... I do agree that having a Dad that grew up in the depression and fought in WW 2, gave me a different outlook than many of my fellows.

Yep.

Baby Boomers were born from 1946 to 1964
    Gen-Xers were born from 1965 to 1981
    Millennals were born from 1982 to 2000
    the Generation after next is those younger than 14 (born in 2001)

Curious ... where did you get those delineations?

The problem with these labels is that people have arbitrarily changed them since the terms were first used. Baby Boomers is obviously based on birth numbers, but the tail end of that "generation" was legitimately included in GenX originally. I was "around" the people who coined and used the term "Generation X" in the early 1990s. It definitely was applied to people born from 1960 through 1980, regardless of what historical references would report today.

In my opinion, "generations" should have overlap anyway.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep.

Curious ... where did you get those delineations?

The problem with these labels is that people have arbitrarily changed them since the terms were first used. Baby Boomers is obviously based on birth numbers, but the tail end of that "generation" was legitimately included in GenX originally. I was "around" the people who coined and used the term "Generation X" in the early 1990s. It definitely was applied to people born from 1960 through 1980, regardless of what historical references would report today.

In my opinion, "generations" should have overlap anyway.

From several sources to include several sociology classes, several political science classes.

Start with to givens. 1) a generation is determined to be 18 years in length.
    2) it was common knowledge, repeated in just about every news article discussing this subject, that the Baby Boomers were those born between 1946 and 1964.

With those two givens, the duration of the Gen-Xers and Millennals can be determined.

From Baby boomers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If the 1946-1964 Baby Boomer is taken, that is 18 years in total duration, 9 years would be midway point into the boom, the year 1955. The person born in 1955 reaches retirement age of 65 in the year 2020, with an expected additional 17–20 years of life [3]

Also here for the Boomers Generations X,Y, Z and the Others...Social Librarian Newsletter - WJ Schroer Company
    And here for Gen-X and Millennals Generations X,Y, Z and the Others...Social Librarian Newsletter - WJ Schroer Company
    Though he does split generations into half generations.

Date/Age Range of Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Gen Y | The Echo Boom I disagree with his overlapping of Gen-X and Millennals.

But you get the idea.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Grouping people into these largely arbitrary groups is useless except to the pointy-headed academics.

Take people one at a time. Some young people work hard and learn well, others don't.

Trying to diagnose societal problems based upon large groups as a whole and implementing a one-size-fits a generation solution has not resulted in better outcomes.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Grouping people into these largely arbitrary groups is useless except to the pointy-headed academics.

Take people one at a time. Some young people work hard and learn well, others don't.

Trying to diagnose societal problems based upon large groups as a whole and implementing a one-size-fits a generation solution has not resulted in better outcomes.

Journalists use such groupings. The reason that scientists label and classify is that it makes more convenient to study behavior. It gives a starting point for comparison. As these are common groupings, it is referenced frequently. Thus it is assumed that you would know who makes up a Baby Boomer, a Gen-Xer or a Millennal. These groupings then make a shorthand for quick communications.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

There is much wisdom in ^^^this post.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Journalists use such groupings. The reason that scientists label and classify is that it makes more convenient to study behavior. It gives a starting point for comparison. As these are common groupings, it is referenced frequently. Thus it is assumed that you would know who makes up a Baby Boomer, a Gen-Xer or a Millennal. These groupings then make a shorthand for quick communications.

That's pretty much what Hough said. It is great for study and research. It useless for trying to solve societal ills.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought Baby Boomers were from the WWII guys coming home and their wives getting pregnant soon after.

Those born in 1965 must have had some self control.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's pretty much what Hough said. It is great for study and research. It useless for trying to solve societal ills.

I run into folks like these here who just dislike the fact that people do naturally group themselves. Birds of feather flock together. While you may want to be seen as individual, almost everyone shares common behavior with one or more groups.

Public Opinion Polls can predict behavior of groups with 500 to 1000 people in the sample. Frankly it is just too difficult to see everyone as an individual when you are trying to make public policy. And when you are trying to determine how elections will turn out. Plus similar procedures are used to make marketing or economic decisions. Corporations also look at groups rather than individuals.

Sorry but you may be an individual. But because of your environment, you decisions and a few other factors, all of you do group. Once we understand the group dynamics, we can predict your behavior about 80% of the time.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought Baby Boomers were from the WWII guys coming home and their wives getting pregnant soon after.

I was my Dad's first and born in 1960, younger brother in 64. The doctor said it wasn't uncommon for some of the returning WW2 vets to be near sterile for awhile after the war due to combat stress. I have no idea if true, but that is what Mom said the doctor told them.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

That assumes a lot because I have no idea who hits what groupings and do not see any point to it in my life.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Is it politicizing to say that an armed guard would have been a useful deterrent or useful for ending the incident quicker? I mean, that's not really an opinion...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That assumes a lot because I have no idea who hits what groupings and do not see any point to it in my life.

I only have interest in the label "Generation X" because I had woefully too much interaction with the people who coined and promulgated the term. This was long before the label would have been adopted by anyone "official" like sociologists. It didn't exist to describe any scientific concept, it was simply someone's idea for a term to apply to everyone born from 1960 to 1980 because they wanted a label for that arbitrary range of birth years, nothing more and nothing less. Everything following that is either adoption of the term to describe a group of someone else's choosing after the fact, or simply revisionist history.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Well my family was typical. Had a brother born in the late '40s. My youngest sister was born in '64. Six of us. The WW2 generation came home, settled down and had a lot of kids. Family size was large. Remember that the pill was not released until '64.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Yet it effects you daily. Corporations target you via marketing. You make up part of the economic system in the country. You have people predicting how you will vote, what you will buy, how you will deal with your money. While you vary with individuality, you still are part of various groups. Adam Smith referred to as the "invisible hand".

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Two points come to mind:

• The schools today place a lot more stress on children to learn. My 6-year-old Kindergarten boy has an iPad issued by the school. The math and reading are what those of us born in the '70s and '80s would have learned in first and second grades. They've thrown some things out (like cursive) to make room for all the accelerated learning, but there really is just more learning to do.

• Adding to the stress is the fact that students are not allowed to defend themselves. Bullying is, was, and ever shall be. Running to a teacher or guidance counselor as is taught today only gets the kid picked on that much more. Just a generation ago, we beat up bullies and the bullies generally changed their attitudes.

• What we're doing: It has been made very clear to the school by both his mother and me that my boy will defend himself appropriately and any punishment inflicted on him at school for doing so will be made up for with rewards at home. This is what we are doing for our son. We are determined he will not be messed up by the system. We thought about home schooling, but we believe the interaction with other students is critical. It really does help us that the school system is rural and still relatively conservative. Still, we have resources that other parents may not have (we're married, my mother is a teacher, I was a sub teacher for quite a while, among other things.)

But what does a kid who has no outlet do? Well, this apparently. The Japanese are a very rigid people and this type of thing happens there occasionally. However, the students are allowed to find their own pecking order and schoolyard fights are often overlooked, last I knew.

There's a diagnosis for this sort of behavior, by the way. It's called "amok" and may be found in the current DSM-IV-TR.

Running amok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Josh

Top Bottom