Martial Arts Instruction- Reccomendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Our daughter (age 8) is interested in some martial arts classes. I don't know anything about it, never have, or know anyone who does.

Does anyone have suggestions of places (good or bad) in the Hendricks county area?

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    When i was a kid, i went to a place in Speedway for a korean matial art...cant spell it and forget the instructors name.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Indy
    I started out studying Tae Kwon Do several years ago, then switched to Herb Johnson. Best decision I ever made. I highly recommend Herb Johnson's schools. They basically teach people how to defend themselves. They don't waste their time (or didn't back then) having people break boards. They used the Bruce Lee motto: "Boards don't hit back."

Not alot of fancy stuff, just basic good martial arts for defending yourself.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I studied Tae Kwon Do in Waukesha Wisconsin for 13 years.

What I would recommend is go to the class at any school you are thinking will work. Watch the entire class. How much personal attention is given to the people not wearing belts, or wearing white or yellow belts.

Good schools will usually spend a lot of personal time with the lower belts making sure they get a firm foundation.

Our classes spent 15min warming up. 20-30min doing the fundamentals 15-20 min sparing etc. and then a brief cool down for the average class. There was a lot more emphasis on fundamentals than sparing in the average class. Two days a week there were more advanced classes which spent more time on sparing, and other self defense techniques as applied.

It's hard to quantify what makes a "good" school. It's a lot like firearms. What works for me, may not work for you.

If you would like someone to come visit a potential school with you. I would be happy to tag along schedule permitting.

Hope that helps....

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A friend of mine teaches Tae kwon do, I think in Greenwood area to young students.

PM me with your e-mail adress and I will forward it to him.

-Andy

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    How about street fighting techniques? I think the martial arts stuff is probably great for a kid to tech disciple etc. But what about flat out stret fighting. Where is the best place to get an education in that.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I studied Tae Kwon Do in Waukesha Wisconsin for 13 years.

What I would recommend is go to the class at any school you are thinking will work. Watch the entire class. How much personal attention is given to the people not wearing belts, or wearing white or yellow belts.

Good schools will usually spend a lot of personal time with the lower belts making sure they get a firm foundation.

Our classes spent 15min warming up. 20-30min doing the fundamentals 15-20 min sparing etc. and then a brief cool down for the average class. There was a lot more emphasis on fundamentals than sparing in the average class. Two days a week there were more advanced classes which spent more time on sparing, and other self defense techniques as applied.

It's hard to quantify what makes a "good" school. It's a lot like firearms. What works for me, may not work for you.

If you would like someone to come visit a potential school with you. I would be happy to tag along schedule permitting.

Hope that helps....

Thanks, it does help.

She is kinda waffling now. Wants to go, doesn't want to go. We still haven't been to anyplace yet.

Top Bottom