• ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I

I'm sure they will build a good gun for today's buyers but it won't come close to the quality of the guns built in the 50s and before.
    I think that's some of that nostalgia creeping in, Marlins are nice but they were never all that, they were just a lever action for the masses like a Winchester 94. Give these new offerings a try, the post-2018 Remington/Marlins were nice and the Ruger/Marlins i've seen look great as well.

bullcrap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Paoli
    I think that's some of that nostalgia creeping in, Marlins are nice but they were never all that, they were just a lever action for the masses like a Winchester 94. Give these new offerings a try, the post-2018 Remington/Marlins were nice and the Ruger/Marlins i've seen look great as well.
    Might be a little nostalgia but I took 2 does this last season with a Winchester 1894 that was built in 1898.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Here's a thought. For as long as Ruger has been around, I've loved the handling, looks, and designed. Not so much the accuracy.Take a 77 outta box same with a Savage 110. Get quality, off the self ammo,

do your best bench techniques. Betcha dollars to donuts that the 110 comes out on top, not by much. I've never seen a Ruger that had the edge on accuracy that Savage and Remington has. Ever seen an accurate Mini 14? Had three of them. Worked my tail of got one to group right at inch, dead on on Monday, 2" high and right Tuesday. Point is I don't think Ruger can make top of the line barrels like Savage and Remington could. That leaves things a little iffy in Rugers attempt to make Marlins/Ruglins. I've found most Marlins accurate within the confineds of the platform.
    Food for thought.<><Duce

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It really depends on exactly what one is talking about when speaking of quality. The older guns will typically have a slightly higher quality in the fitment and finish of the parts due to the cost of hand fitting labor being less expensive back then. However, manufacturing techniques and materials are superior today... when companies don't cut corners to achieve a price point. It'd be the rare old gun indeed that will match a well built new rifle for accuracy. Nostalgia and use have both improved the performance ad reputation of the old guns, we'll see how the new guns fair.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    They oughta make some changes. I have two Marlin 1894's. One in 44 mag and the other is 45 Colt. The 44 is from 1982 with micro grove and the 45 is the cowboy model from the early 2000's. Love the 45 for reasons other than caliber and is very accurate with JHP and also feeds a wider variety of cast bullets. Why cast you ask? Because they really should control the bore size in a more consistent manner. Some of those 44 bores will slug at .432. Normal jacketed bullets are .429. In order to ring some accuracy out of them cast is sized to the bore. Take a look at the chamber area. The 44 has a recess at the top of the chamber which can cause certain ammo to jam nose up. The cowboy has a shield taking up that space and feeds anything for the most part. On some of them the bottom of the barrel isn't completely machined (where pencil is pointing) with no clearance between the mag tube and barrel and puts downward pressure on the barrel with the barrel band installed at the muzzle. This one is fine. I took it apart for a thorough cleaning. If ya really get an unlucky one they will get the "Marlin Jam" and lets two out of the mag tube at the same time. I for one also think they should dump the 1:38 twist on the 44. Henry started doing that on some 44's.

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

Last edited:

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Always wanted one and never jumped on one while the old Marlins were plentiful.
    Maybe once the market gets flooded with the new ones, perhaps the pricing will go down a bit :dunno:

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville

Interesting to see plans for Marlin in future. I was unaware that Ruger had purchased. What are your guys thoughts? Will you be picking up a Ruger made Marlin?
    I am for sure excited and reading good reviews. From what I see in pictures they look to not just be making them same as old, but making them better. Better checkering, small design changes that make a difference.

Top Bottom