• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Interesting to see plans for Marlin in future. I was unaware that Ruger had purchased. What are your guys thoughts? Will you be picking up a Ruger made Marlin?
    I can think of FAR worse manufacturers. I'd gladly buy a Rulin rifle. :):

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’ll give Ruger Marlin a try when the pipeline gets adequate (if I live that long). I am so glad I replaced most of my JM’s with better quality Post 2017 Remington Made Marlins. Capitalizing on the misinformed JM cult improved my product line of levers and made some extra cash at the same time.

Ruger builds a good gun that is Rugged and Reliable but they have never been Precision instruments for my taste. I can only imagine how Ruger would succeed on building the Model 39. We will see.

So far with threaded barrels, nickel plated components on a Stainless Gun, Skinner Peeps with an afterthought screwed on front sight already has taken the first offerings off the table for me. But that’s just me.

By the way, MSRP on these new Marlins are 60 percent higher than the company that was put under by the capitalist pigs.

See you on the range.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’m in for a Model 39 if they’re not myocardial infarction-inducing on the price, and I’ve always lowkey wants an 1895 in .45-70. We’ll see.

Much like with Hi Powers, the Model 39 quickly rose to autistic levels on price for some reason despite literally hundreds of thousands of them being made (longest running firearm design of all time, I think?). Homie don’t play dat. If I can’t find one priced for a normal person, I’m not paying your jacked up, “rape me” outrageous prices, not sorry.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I plan to own a new 1894 and maybe a 336 some day but it may be a long while before they become available in sufficient quantities and affordable.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Being a JM in a circle fan and one who has been buying them since the 1980's I am loving (and cashing in on) the demand for the TRUE Marlin rifles.
    My collection of 39's have dwendled down to 6 from 15. (One mountie one 1950's 39a one 39m one 1980's 39a the 39 AWL and a 39d) are the thinned down stack. I would like to see what ruger does to make the best 22 lever made.

I did own a 1894 remlin that was not up to the standard of what I had purchased before but did shoot ok. Stock fit and if they called the wood walnut it was the least grained walnut ever. It went to a hunter who had to have it.

I have a 336 from remlin I will be keeping because of the what I call a collectors box from that era. Does it work? I don't know I have never shot it and most likely will not. Once again finish is average at best but it was better than the 1894. I will see if I have the picture of the boxes (one remlin one JM circle Marlin) and post it in this thread.

As for ruger I have seen one in the wild but it was being picked up at the gun store so I did not get to see it up close. I would like to know what is investment cast and what is milled steel. I all get are these puff pieces from so called gun writers.

Those I do not think we shall ever see again are the model 60, camp carbines, bolt actions, and shotguns and pump actions which would sell well if made. I just think these would subtract from to offerings from ruger on these items.

Let me see if I have the box pic's

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ok found it quickly. Do you see what I see.

When the three headed dog bought Marlin they bought a whole bunch of stock that was in inventory. Much of this stock was put together and sold to the public. My feelings are that much of this old stock were seconds or thirds that did not meet standards. (This the I'll fitting sticks and drooping barrels common in that time period.

I think they had some reject boxes in the stock also.

Attachments

• 285F8F0A-A4DE-4095-976D-390E3A2ADC87.jpeg
      285F8F0A-A4DE-4095-976D-390E3A2ADC87.jpeg
      23.5 KB · Views: 35

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’d like to see an 1895 CBL with 22”+ octagon barrel and tube magazine of equal length. Deep rich polished blue and walnut stocks. It would be the beez kneez!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Being a JM in a circle fan and one who has been buying them since the 1980's I am loving (and cashing in on) the demand for the TRUE Marlin rifles.
    My collection of 39's have dwendled down to 6 from 15. (One mountie one 1950's 39a one 39m one 1980's 39a the 39 AWL and a 39d) are the thinned down stack. I would like to see what ruger does to make the best 22 lever made.
    The prices for original Marlins that aren't even collectables or that rare have gone through the roof. In 2021 sold 2 Marlins on consignment - a 1996 39AS and 1978 1894 in 44 mag. Both greatly exceeded my expectations on what they sold for. Have a 1979 39A that I have no plans of parting with anytime soon.

As to the new Ruger Marlins I doubt I will ever buy one not because I am diehard faithful to the old stuff , just pretty much have enough lever guns to satisfy my cravings.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So, how old does a 336 have to be, to be of good quality? Does my mid 80’s (that’s when I bought it an estate auction) make the cut? I’ve only shot it about 300-400 times. Minute of deer hart at 50 to 150 yards every time I’ve done my part.

Last edited:

Christow19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2017
    Greencastle
    I plan to own a new 1894 and maybe a 336 some day but it may be a long while before they become available in sufficient quantities and affordable.
    That’s my deal with all of this. Will they be able to have the quantity available for the consumer, us, or if they don’t what will happen to the prices. Already the msrp for these guns seems astronomical. I know everything used to be cheaper, but man it sure was nice when’s guns were. Sadly it wasn’t that long ago

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    So, how old does a 336 have to be, to be of good quality? Does my mid 80’s (that’s when I bought it an estate auction) make the cut? I’ve only shot it about 300-400 times. Minute of deer hart at 50 to 150 yards every time I’ve done my part.
    Those are good ones. I prefer those pre safety but that is not a quality issue but the fact that I grew up with the hammer being the safety.

The 39a I kept for my main shooter is a 1980's piece. It shoots even the cheapest of 22 ammo well.

Reactions: Mij

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    But Ruger won't be making the Browning BL-22?
    I love the short throw and have a grade II that will never leave the collection. Smaller call it semi diminutive size is handy. Japanese made shines like a black and walnut sun. grade two gives engraving by a machine that gives it a nice extra flash. Accurate and dependable only one issue. The trigger.

Since the 39a and the BL22 are comparing an orange to a grapefruit you would be better off comparing the BL22 the marlin 39m ( Mountie) and let’s throw in the fine winchester 9422. Those three are in the same size weight class and would then all be oranges.

Sports illustrated Finish and Fit would be a straight out tie between the win and the BL22. (Nicer finish that the working man’s marlin) (Winner would be the WIN9422 in XTR format but that is not as common a gun) center fold is going to be the Winchester, cover girl goes to browning grade 2 and advertising page to marlin. Bl22 is the thinnest model with weight at 5 pounds. The Winchester is curvier weight 7.2 pounds and the Mountie is 8.

Cowboy Action would have the Winchester being the smoothest, the BL22 being the quickest and almost as smooth as the Winchester, the marlin once again in third. (A bit less refined and a bit of chunk and chunk over the hammer each time the lever is thrown). Since I called this cowboy action let’s give the browning this one cause it is the fastest repeat shot and I can get off follow ups better with it.

TEOTWAWKI build quality all get passing grades here as they are all built to last for generations of use. the marlin being a bit heftier all around would in my opinion last in harsh environments better than the more diminutive win and browning. Add in the fact that there are more marlins in the wild over the year’s of production than both of the other two combined would give a small chance for finding one in a closet of an house after the zombies eat the owners brains.

Pull my finger errrr trigger. Marlin with the semi easy take down screw and older Technology to me seems to break more consistent than the other two and lighter than both. ( this could be that they have been shot more than the others) second to me is the Winchester and third the browning. ) bl22 trigger is 8 pound pull weight. Winchester was 5 pounds and the marlin was 4.6 pounds. The trigger moving with the lever is neat on the bl22 But I have never pinched a finger on a trigger on a lever action so a solution to a problem that does not exist. Marlin 39as with rebounding hammers are lawyered into the worst trigger overall. I own none of them.

Bullseye punching. Guns can be tricky accuracy wise. purchase two target rifles the same day the same store the same year the same make and model and one might outshoot the other. Trimming down from 15 39a’s to keep a hunting and shooting one accuracy testing was done and one was a stand out even with the cheapest of Remington golden bullets. On 20 inch rifles I would call this a tie on all the rifles in question here. If I was to place them in order at 50 yards the marlin the Winchester and then the browning. All are better shooters than most of the people pulling the triggers. (Henry h001 for me is more accurate than the browning but Henry’s are not the quality the above are.) marlin has no barrel bands And I think when things heat up the band does not push pressure on the barrels,

adding the bells and whistles. Scoping the browning is the hardest. Shortest reciever and it is the rimfire slot only. The Winchester is middle and since it was made for the 22 magnum the reciever is longer allowing more room in the rimfire slot. The marlin needs to have a scope mount rail. But this allows the most adjustability on scope mounting. You can also add a peep easy if that is your fancy. Best to me is the marlin with a 2-7 range scope for general use and I often will drop a 16 fixed for target use on the longer barreled 39a versions. If you wanted a short range can plinker maybe the bl22 with a red dot would be the quickest overall.

microgroove barrels are well groovy.

let’s add the numbers up. 1-2-3 with the lowest score being the winner of the stuff above,
    marlin 39m 10 weight.
    winchester 9422 10 weight.
    BL22 16 weight.

so win 9422 ties marlin 39m for winner with the browning coming in third.

what I like about the full size 39a is the full MAN size gun that is perfect match for the larger 1894 1895 and 336 rifles made buy marlin. A perfect companion for the heavier hitters.

The Winchester I have is a XTR 22 mag and since the ammo is more expensive to shoot I would subtract one from the score above because of the expense. in 1983 when I purchased it we had zero coyotes in the area. It was my fox gun that worked for squirrels and groundhogs as well. If the Winchester was regular 22 lr maybe I would move it to the top spot.
    the browning would be perfect for can plinking with a red dot.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    By the way, MSRP on these new Marlins are 60 percent higher than the company that was put under by the capitalist pigs.
    And that's why I'm not especially excited. The premium being slapped on anything with a lever is ridiculous. They used to be guns for anyone too poor to afford proper semiautos.

I just cannot conceive of paying over a grand for a 336. It's not going to happen.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I just cannot conceive of paying over a grand for a 336. It's not going to happen.
    true that. Last gun show I was at had a marlin 30a (marlin 336 with birch stock empress checkering) made by marlin for I believe Kmart in 30/30. Priced to move at 750. Before marlin closed shop I was buying those at 300-350 top. They are kinda the red headed step child of the 336.

There are a million or more 336 rifle setting in closets around the nation that have probably seen less than a box or two of ammo since 1970. Purchased at a local gun store for a hunting trip used in the field for the season or two and placed in the closet next to the fly rod for that fishing trip to Michigan we went on in 1976.

Normally a gun with so many sold is worth what one can buy it new for like at 10-22. Used in perfect condition it is worth a bit less than the one in the gun store. PS I have been buying up Remington 870 wing masters / 700 ADL BDL rifles with some of the marlin money hoping to see the same thing happen with them shortly

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    true that. Last gun show I was at had a marlin 30a (marlin 336 with birch stock empress checkering) made by marlin for I believe Kmart in 30/30. Priced to move at 750. Before marlin closed shop I was buying those at 300-350 top. They are kinda the red headed step child of the 336.

There are a million or more 336 rifle setting in closets around the nation that have probably seen less than a box or two of ammo since 1970. Purchased at a local gun store for a hunting trip used in the field for the season or two and placed in the closet next to the fly rod for that fishing trip to Michigan we went on in 1976.

Normally a gun with so many sold is worth what one can buy it new for like at 10-22. Used in perfect condition it is worth a bit less than the one in the gun store. PS I have been buying up Remington 870 wing masters / 700 ADL BDL rifles with some of the marlin money hoping to see the same thing happen with them shortly
    Doing the same with Remington 788’s attempting to get every caliber.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    And that's why I'm not especially excited. The premium being slapped on anything with a lever is ridiculous. They used to be guns for anyone too poor to afford proper semiautos.

Ruger seems to be building a high quality rifle here... those don't come cheap these days. Quality has never really been cheap in the short term. I don't see prices improving in the future either. Especially with the increasing trend of churning out cheaper and cheaper crap for consumers that are perfectly happy being penny wise and pound foolish.

Top Bottom