• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    I just got a new Marlin 1894. I started loading some 44mag ammo for it and I thought I would check to make sure they would chamber, before I got to far along. I cannot get it to chamber very well or without half stoking it several times, so I tried new pistol ammo out of the box and it will not chamber either. The ammo (loaded and factory new) are well within the specs. It looks like it is getting hung up going into the chamber. Any ideas on how to fix this? Will it "wear" in over time or do I need to polish the chamber opening.

I have already put my stuff up for the night so I could watch the game... I will check tomorrow to see if there is an obvious burr or something. Just looking to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Yep, been there done that! I had the very same issue with my new 1894, it is a fairly common problem, had to send it to Marlin. They polished the throat a bit and sent it back. Never had any issues since. Some guys claim you can break in the lever and in time it will go away. I don't have that kind of patience for it...spent good $$ and want it to work as it should. Took about 4 weeks door to door to fix IIRC.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear the problem. I haven't had any problems out of my 1894. Except for the doe it missed....couldn't possibly been operator error....then it reconsidered its mistake and made the shot on a 10 pointer and a doe. The 1894 is an excellent deer rifle.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Almost sounds like The Dreaded Marlin Jam except that you said your gun is new (you haven't had it long enough to develop the jam).

Anyway, I had the exact same problem with my son's brand new Marlin 1894CB. Short version of the story ... I tried several fixes and routes. The only one that worked was sending it to Steve Young. He not only fixed it and made it feed reliably, the action job was superb.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I had an issue with my Ruger Mark II chambering certain types of .22 ammo even after stripping it completely clean. finally, I took dowel rod (actually a wooden skewer) put a gun cleaning patch on it covered with toothpaste. I put the dowel in my cordless drill and gently polished it with toothpaste. The very mild abrasive was enough to polish the chamber just enough to allow all types of .22 ammo. I have had this gun for years and have always had this issue until I polished the chamber.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I am thinking of picking one up for deer hunting this fall. Please keep us updated!

I bought one for the 2009 deer season from Dicks. Took it to the range and shot high (very high) even with three different brands of ammo. It also shot to the left pretty bad. So... some buddies at the range gave me some Millet rings that'll adjust for windage (because my Bushnell Elite 3200 was maxed out on windage). We then had to jack the rear of the scope mount up with a shim because I ran out of down elevation with the scope.

I said something to another guy at the range and he said he had to jack the back of his scope base up with a shim as well.

I have wanted an 1894 forever and I struggle to even want to get it out of the safe. I did switch to XS sights and there is just enough room to get the ghost ring down enough so it's shoots 3" groups at 50 yards with Hornady FTX ammo. I have not shot it a bunch so I'm sure a steady hand would help it perform better.

Food for thought! (maybe mine is a lemon)

Top Bottom