Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 13, 2008
Evansville

Man with bow and arrow kills 5, wounds 2 in Norway​

Ivana Saric
Ivana Saric

Police on a scene in Norway

Police work at the scene where a man armed with bow killed several people before he was arrested by police in Kongsberg, Norway on Oct. 13. Photo: Torstein Be/NTB/AFP via Getty Images
A man armed with a bow and arrow killed five people and injured two others in an attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, southwest of the capital of Oslo, Reuters reported.
Why it matters: This is the deadliest attack to take place in Norway since 2011, when a far-right extremist went on a shooting rampage and killed 77 people, per Reuters.
The big picture: The suspect is in police custody, having been apprehended about 30 minutes after the attack began, according to the BBC.
  • The attacks happened over a large area of the town, according to The Guardian, and several parts of the city have been temporarily cordoned off by police for evidence gathering, per the BBC.
  • Police believe the man acted alone but will investigate whether the attack constituted terrorism, as they seek to determine a motive, Reuters reported.
  • Police are also investigating whether other weapons were used, per Reuters.
Of note: Police were temporarily ordered to carry firearms in the wake of the attack, breaking with the norm as Norwegian police are typically unarmed, the New York Times noted.
  • "The police currently have no concrete indications that there is a change in the threat level in the country," the police directorate said in a statement.
What they're saying: "The reports coming from Kongsberg tonight are horrifying," Prime Minister Erna Solberg told a news conference, per Reuters.
  • "I understand that many people are afraid, but it's important to emphasize that the police are now in control," she added.

My observation:

Horrific, but I wonder if a "good guy with a gun" (cue leftist smirking) had been onsite, this would've been stopped quickly.

rooster

Expert
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Mar 4, 2010
Indianapolis
what a tragedy.

On a more practical note he must have used broadheads. There is a reason the Geneva convention banned 3 sided blades, almost impossible to sew up.

miguel

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Oct 24, 2008
16T
Surprised this hasn't happened in the US yet. I mean since the 1870s at least...

We gotta have more archers than Norway?

Ark

Master
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Feb 18, 2017
Indy
what a tragedy.

On a more practical note he must have used broadheads. There is a reason the Geneva convention banned 3 sided blades, almost impossible to sew up.
I know it's not logical but dang I think I'd rather take a GSW than a broad head hit.

Cameramonkey

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
May 12, 2013
Camby area

NKBJ

at the ark
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Apr 21, 2010
Well those Danes and Norwegians will never get along and the United Nations should vote to occupy Scandinavia.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie1220
Top Bottom