Man open carries AR15 and has it stolen at gun point.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The latest celebrity (Gary Busey) to be charged with a felony doesn’t even face jail time. Apparently the crime a class F felony only has a fine as punishment. Where he has been charged. Don’t know about other places, just what was said on evening news.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Curious to see who gets charged with what and who the women sue in court. Should be interesting.
    Me too. Seems to be some mushy area there. For me it‘s the shooting after the robbery, can you still claim fear of immanent death or injury? Did the “furball“ stick around while the non furball got out a second firearm?

I don’t expect any answers but I am curious nonetheless.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like the fire triangle, once all components are in the same place at the same time bad things can happen.

1) Person displaying thing of obvious value
    2) Person(s) willing to use violence to obtain item of value from #1
    3) 1+2 sharing the same physical location that #2 feels comfortable acting in.

Guns are items of obvious value, particularly for those who use violence to get things they want routinely. They are not afraid of your gun. A non-insignificant number of them have already been shot at least once.

And this furball ended up getting two bystanders shot as well...
    Theres oxygen, fuel, and heat currently in the room you're in. No fire and bad things are occuring...occurring....

It's no longer a triangle anyway, it's a fire tetrahedron.

gorge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Earth
    This I agree with.

Executing every person convicted of a "violent" felony, not so much.

What would you classify stealing a large sum of money?
    What about stealing cars?

noun, plural fel·o·nies.Law.
    • an offense, as murder or burglary, of graver character than those called misdemeanors, especially those commonly punished in the U.S. by imprisonment for more than a year.
    • Early English Law. any crime punishable by death or mutilation and forfeiture of lands and goods.

Felonies are violent actions. Non-violent actions are not felonies. I do agree if someone is stealing a bunch of money, then harsh punishment should be made, but not the death penalty. If someone decides to cause harm or death to another, you forfeit your right to live.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Felonies are violent actions. Non-violent actions are not felonies.

giphy.gif

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

• an offense, as murder or burglary, of graver character than those called misdemeanors, especially those commonly punished in the U.S. by imprisonment for more than a year.
    • Early English Law. any crime punishable by death or mutilation and forfeiture of lands and goods.

Felonies are violent actions. Non-violent actions are not felonies. I do agree if someone is stealing a bunch of money, then harsh punishment should be made, but not the death penalty. If someone decides to cause harm or death to another, you forfeit your right to live.
    You have a lot to learn about our laws.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute

Not always. I worked with a young man who got drunk and cut down a tree in a city park. Local prosecutor charged him with class D felony for destroying public property. He was gonna plead guilty and take his medicine, I convinced him to get a lawyer and plea bargain it down. He thanked me later.

gorge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Earth
    You have a lot to learn about our laws.

I had do some some more research and am willing to admit when I'm wrong. There are some things that are listed a felony, like lying under oath. I'm not sure I agree with things like embezzlement, theft, etc. If someone is stealing, what is the threat of a felony vs misdemeanor and long prison/jail sentence?

Not always. I worked with a young man who got drunk and cut down a tree in a city park. Local prosecutor charged him with class D felony for destroying public property. He was gonna plead guilty and take his medicine, I convinced him to get a lawyer and plea bargain it down. He thanked me later.

So who did he actually hurt in this instance? I guess I don't understand why a felony is used so often.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I had do some some more research and am willing to admit when I'm wrong. There are some things that are listed a felony, like lying under oath. I'm not sure I agree with things like embezzlement, theft, etc. If someone is stealing, what is the threat of a felony vs misdemeanor and long prison/jail sentence?

So who did he actually hurt in this instance? I guess I don't understand why a felony is used so often.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Severity of the crime should be the criteria of the charge, (my opinion). Cutting down a small tree in a public park should not be the same crime as personal injury. The prosecutor overcharged to rack up his reputation, nearly got away with it. A felony conviction would've haunted the young man for years, losing his right to vote and own guns, and possibly harder to find a job. He ended up paying a fine and community service, a misdemeanor, which is what he should've been charged with to begin. The prosecutor was an azz.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Severity of the crime should be the criteria of the charge, (my opinion). Cutting down a small tree in a public park should not be the same crime as personal injury. The prosecutor overcharged to rack up his reputation, nearly got away with it. A felony conviction would've haunted the young man for years, losing his right to vote and own guns, and possibly harder to find a job. He ended up paying a fine and community service, a misdemeanor, which is what he should've been charged with to begin. The prosecutor was an azz.
    Some (most?) prosecutors will overcharge and/or pile on as many charges as possible. They do it so the person will plea bargain and plead guilty. That way they don't have to risk losing at a trial and it bumps up their stats.

ETA Felons can vote in IN. As long as you're not currently locked up you can vote if you're over 18 and a citizen.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Stealing a pack of gum, vs stealing large sums of money, or some other very valuable item, seem like the same thing to you?

Yes, both theft, but the impact of the crime is vastly different. You don't think the differing potential for charge and sentence, etc is a deterrent there? Trying to understand your logic.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Stealing a pack of gum, vs stealing large sums of money, or some other very valuable item, seem like the same thing to you?

Yes, both theft, but the impact of the crime is vastly different. You don't think the differing potential for charge and sentence, etc is a deterrent there? Trying to understand your logic.
    It seems California shows that it was/is a deterrent, since shoplifting has skyrocketed since they change their laws

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It seems California shows that it was/is a deterrent, since shoplifting has skyrocketed since they change their laws
    Has shoplifting in IN skyrocketed since we changed our laws? They are similar to CA now. Heck even before we changed them most shoplifting was either prosecuted as a misd or pled down to one, conversion vs theft. I'd say the problem with CA is not that it's a misd vs felony, but lack of enforcement.

Top Bottom