• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm curious why the statement seemed "off" to you. Is there evidence to suggest that open carry attracts more criminals/crime than it deters?

As I have considered this I see what you are saying. I have always (for the most part) CC'd as I am very comfortable and able to get to it with little effort. Also my job some what made CC a requirement.
    These days the people we are most likely to have to defend against are not above coming up behind and attempting to remove your side arm. Not a reason to CC over OC but it is a possibility. In discussions with those I speak of (I worked in and around them) they verify this. It has been brought up in conversation. Most are un-aware of what a retention holster is or how it operates.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    As I have considered this I see what you are saying. I have always (for the most part) CC'd as I am very comfortable and able to get to it with little effort. Also my job some what made CC a requirement.
    These days the people we are most likely to have to defend against are not above coming up behind and attempting to remove your side arm. Not a reason to CC over OC but it is a possibility. In discussions with those I speak of (I worked in and around them) they verify this. It has been brought up in conversation. Most are un-aware of what a retention holster is or how it operates.

I wouldn't dare OC without a good retention holster. And I think it's ironic we all agree more guns lead to less crime yet disagree so much on method of carry. It's better to be armed than not. It's better to be trained than not. It's better to keep you head out of your hiney than not. It's better to have more ammo than not, etc., etc., etc. Beyond that, it's up to fate, lady luck, God, or whatever else you put your faith in.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I agree. I think those OCers/CCers who have had their gun stolen did not show a hard target personality. But you would have to ask BBI for the variables at play in the gun grabs. I thought he had said they were in rough neighborhoods.
    Really though, what's a "rough neighborhood"? Any place can be a rough neighborhood!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Man Exercising his 'Open Carry' Right Robbed of Gun he was Carrying - LOL...

Guess it's actually true that SOME people just shouldn't carry in the first place.

I suppose this is the inevitable result when someone carries to make some 'political statement'. :dunno:
    Is that what you think the idiot was doing? Carrying to make a political statement?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't dare OC without a good retention holster. And I think it's ironic we all agree more guns lead to less crime yet disagree so much on method of carry. It's better to be armed than not. It's better to be trained than not. It's better to keep you head out of your hiney than not. It's better to have more ammo than not, etc., etc., etc. Beyond that, it's up to fate, lady luck, God, or whatever else you put your faith in.

I know many who do OC with out retention. They fear failure. I say they are not confident in their ability's to use the equipment.
    Practice Practice Practice. Training and more Practice. With that you put far less reliance on luck and Jello. Or Marklar. Or Fate.......:)

harrna02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    columbia city
    I think you're looking for this...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html

And BTW, triple posting in the same thread isn't standard practice. I'd say it's probably frowned upon.
    There are hundreds of posts by people in each thread. Each person has a different point of view and a different angle. My posts are replying to each person and what they have to say. I am certainly not trying to do anything that is frowned upon, but I certainly didnt feel that replying to several peoples perspectives in one post would be frowned upon. Thanks for letting me know. I read through the forum rules and FAQ's to make sure that I was following all of the rules. I must have missed something in there. Sorry if this has casused any problems.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    There are hundreds of posts by people in each thread. Each person has a different point of view and a different angle. My posts are replying to each person and what they have to say. I am certainly not trying to do anything that is frowned upon, but I certainly didnt feel that replying to several peoples perspectives in one post would be frowned upon. Thanks for letting me know. I read through the forum rules and FAQ's to make sure that I was following all of the rules. I must have missed something in there. Sorry if this has casused any problems.

You can use multi-quote for that.

eaglerider4167

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Indy
    that is exactly one of the reasons that I choose to conceal carry, I also believe if someone is looking to rob a place and they see open carriers, they will bring their focus in on that person.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    To me, the biggest thing that should be measured is the element of surprise in concealed carry versus the deterrence of open carry. Both very big advantages.

Neither method is better than the other IMHO. They both have their benefits and drawbacks.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    that is exactly one of the reasons that I choose to conceal carry, I also believe if someone is looking to rob a place and they see open carriers, they will bring their focus in on that person.

Of course they would, and then they'd most likely either wait for the carriers to leave or go select a safer place to rob.

Someone looking to rob a place doesn't suddenly switch to instigating a shootout just because they happened to notice armed citizens there. They're far more likely to delay or abandon their original plan based on the added risk and consequence of proceeding.

Even the dumbest among typical thugs are looking to both survive and get away with their crime.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    In not against open carry at all, but having a gun on your hip does not excuse you from maintaining awareness.

The man in question was standing around OUTSIDE, engaged in conversation, AT NIGHT, and allowed a STANGER to approach him and begin making small talk.....

That is a comedy of errors.

Top Bottom